Use of GPS for props

the programming wouldn't be to bad either. Each set would probably need to be manually triggered since timing would be rough otherwise, so you'd add a layer of complexity to handle a remote control. But at this point, if there were only say 5 stages, I'd bet there would be at least one malfunction every two shows. To quote Randall Monroe: "Robots never, ever work right"

I can imagine the newest dimension of DCI programming using the LOS rafters where the electronix technicians can cue the spotlights on particular soloists, direct the drones floating the Crown/PR/BAC scrims across the field and deposit them in the right spots, spill the buckets of droplets which both catch the lights and evaporate before hitting the performers and field (thus not violating the water on the field rule), creating the rainbow for which Cavies' and SkyRyders' fans will cry in sentimental awe, spur a corps-engulfing dry ice cloud in which SCV changes unis w/o the tunnel, and BD, Bloo, and Cadets blow the bank in trying to figure the next outlandish creation to become de rigeur.

And to think there were those who got all hot under the collar in previous seasons because BD put birdcages and mirrors on the field.

Edited by xandandl

I don't think the civilian version of GPS is accurate enough for Drum Corps. Yes, it can be used for surveying, but it takes 24 hours to get a precision reading. Unless things have changed ....

I would also add cost. Even the corps with the most money to spend would consider the kind of devises used too expensive and too much of a luxury.

Give me 6 weeks, $4000, and someone to do my class work for the rest of the school year and I could get a programmable stage up and running. Also give me a mechanical engineer... That would help some too...

EDIT: I gotta proof read my writing better...

Edited by Clutchtow

Give me 6 weeks, $4000, and someone to do my class work for the rest of the the school and I could get a programmable stage up and running. Also give me a mechanical engineer... That would help some too...

If you're first to pattern a workable and dependable product, those in the DCI, band, and WGI world will force you to move your manufacturing operation out of your home/apartment.

I'd be waiting to see what happens when the first one decides to go rogue.

It will get stuck at the first door probably haha

If you're first to pattern a workable and dependable product, those in the DCI, band, and WGI world will force you to move your manufacturing operation out of your home/apartment.

Hmm... Well if I ever want to start my own company... There could be money here...

I know... no motors in DCI... (note: I marched with a Corps that helped bring about the 'no animals" rule)... so with that aside, just as a proof-of-concept exercise, why not utilize a simple system similar to robotic studio TV cameras instead of GPS..?

Companies such as Vinten have had systems in play for decades that will move and relocated motorized camera supports based on a simple "direction and distance" model from a singular home starting location that may easily apply to platform and/or prop movement. Something similar would require nothing more than a simple definable 'target' for a starting reference. This would require no need for advanced venue scouting or individual re-calibration per new venue. You could utilize the fact that pretty much all performance areas (football fields) are standard and uniform in dimension to your advantage.

In theory, as the props or platforms were being moved towards the field in pre-show, you would define a repeatable and standard location as your initial targeting position. It could be something as simple as the very corner of the end zone markings where the sideline and end zone lines intersect. If you were to align a square stage with two sides lined up exactly along those two intersecting field markings, the prop would then have a base or 'home' reference that it could easily use to calculate and determine the location and dimensions of the performance area. It now has a defined X/Y axis area for direction. All it needs now is distance information for positioning. It can obtain that from something as simple as defined distance traveled based on calculated wheel travel. So... give it a home for reference... tell it what direction it needs to go based on that home reference... tell it how many wheel turns it needs to make to achieve the required distance... and BOOM... your stage is set at position #1 for the opening number. You then utilize each new position as the targeting location for the next move. It's kind of like reading directions to a scavenger hunt. "Start here... then go there... from there, go here..." and so on. Speed programming could be done by defining the 'time' used to complete the required distance traveled per move, easily incorporating prop movement into the visuals.

Again, just a thought... Something along those lines might provide a simpler engineering approach to a GPS based system. But hey... I'm no engineer, so I could be totally wrong on all this...