Conducting DM camps for better leaders?

TBH a lot of these camps are a waste of time and money. The BOA (now MFA) summer camp marching band track was much better in 2002 than when it was "Be a Cavalier for a day!!" in 2003. 2003 was more about selling the corps than teaching things that would be useful to take back to your HS band and actually make them better.

My HS drum majors did the George N. Parks-run DM track in 2001, 2002 and 2003, and a lot of what they brought back was silly feel-good stuff that has no bearing on a contemporary corps/corps-style HS band.

hot take

Drum Major Kendall Stevenson shares her Cadets journey and leadership experience with high school students at Cadets camp. Music is cool.

13241405_10154284446176349_7570930112765

She is an excellent DM. I watched how she led/directed the corps in the gym at the April camp. She is much more than an arm-waver. She had total control of the corps, and even at that early date knew the score and rehearsal marks cold. VERY impressive young woman.

She is an excellent DM. I watched how she led/directed the corps in the gym at the April camp. She is much more than an arm-waver. She had total control of the corps, and even at that early date knew the score and rehearsal marks cold. VERY impressive young woman.

I have been most impressed by what the audience doesn't see or what they may see and not realize. Her off the field coordination of the personalities and sections of the corps as ensemble and as individuals tends to be superlative. She is creative in her attempts to inspire esprit amongst the corps, the section leaders, and with the family/school/and other horizons which corps members bring to each rehearsal and performance. Initiatives like 'The Holy Name Track Team," come to mind and she is not threatened when others have great ideas (eg. Rocky Ankeny's Rocky Point vids.) Without always being a peacock, she is a great leader.

• Like 1

I have been most impressed by what the audience doesn't see or what they may see and not realize. Her off the field coordination of the personalities and sections of the corps as ensemble and as individuals tends to be superlative. She is creative in her attempts to inspire esprit amongst the corps, the section leaders, and with the family/school/and other horizons which corps members bring to each rehearsal and performance. Initiatives like 'The Holy Name Track Team," come to mind and she is not threatened when others have great ideas (eg. Rocky Ankeny's Rocky Point vids.) Without always being a peacock, she is a great leader.

Ditto.

Also, George Parks DM academy is not nearly as good as SASI - SASI is not as antiquated and has new, fresh, innovative ideas. George Parks DM academy is the old school 'go-to' for a lot of people who may be holding their programs back by not opening up to new ideas and ways of thinking. SASI is great for that.

The best schools in Texas send their kids to SASI because it's run by a bunch of DCI alums who are now in place at dozens of the top band programs in the state. I'm pretty sure they've expanded out of state as well, but it's a powerhouse of a program, focusing on leadership and conducting and just good life skills training as well! Plus, lots of connections made for kids that want a future in DCI or the band/music world as well!

Edited by rr4353

Ditto.

Also, George Parks DM academy is not nearly as good as SASI - SASI is not as antiquated and has new, fresh, innovative ideas. George Parks DM academy is the old school 'go-to' for a lot of people who may be holding their programs back by not opening up to new ideas and ways of thinking. SASI is great for that.

The best schools in Texas send their kids to SASI because it's run by a bunch of DCI alums who are now in place at dozens of the top band programs in the state. I'm pretty sure they've expanded out of state as well, but it's a powerhouse of a program, focusing on leadership and conducting and just good life skills training as well! Plus, lots of connections made for kids that want a future in DCI or the band/music world as well!

For those who don't live in the Republic of Texas, please explain the letters SAS. Here in Metro NY and in Minnesota, those are the call letters for Scandinavian Airlines!

Ah, SASI (pronounced sassy) was an extremely fun time. Learned a lot about leadership, methods of teaching, and good conducting style. The people running it were phenomenal, and a lot of what I learned there I still use now, outside of the marching world. The head of the camp also said that they chose the initials cause they just really wanted to have shirts that said SASSY and sasi was the best they could do. not sure if that's actually true, but just that's what they claimed.

• Like 1

Ditto.

Parks is definitely not a corps-style school, but the leadership stuff is based on Dr. Tim's outstanding curriculum. I just tell my kids ahead of time that they shouldn't put too much effort into DMA style conducting/saluting/commands, since we don't use that. Honestly, once it becomes practical to send them to one of the System Blue camps, that's where they will go. Those camps are amazing from start to finish.

Edited by Kamarag