The End Is Nigh

... I have no problem listing to my parents' music, my grandparents' music, my great-grandparents' music ... etc.

So it is the stuff from those younger than you, such as Justin Bieber, that you find abhorrent. Well, at least you are in good company. Socrates, Plato, and Hesiod all had the same reaction to youth of their day!

• Like 2

No, I was just referring to my ability to enjoy older music far removed from my generation, because Cappy seemed to imply that you it was easier to appreciate the older (or the newer) because one was close in age to it. I'm much closer (in age) to Bieber than I am to Glenn Miller, but vastly prefer the latter. And for all the younger artists that I CAN appreciate - there simply are many that I find lacking.

There is so much great music to choose from, yet the most decorated organization in the drum corps activity will play a Justin Bieber song. Good lord. God help us.

Don Pesceone, Jerry Seawright, Gale Royer, Jim Jones & Bill Howard are getting together for a high level meeting tomorrow.

• Like 2

No, I was just referring to my ability to enjoy older music far removed from my generation, because Cappy seemed to imply that you it was easier to appreciate the older (or the newer) because one was close in age to it. I'm much closer (in age) to Bieber than I am to Glenn Miller, but vastly prefer the latter. And for all the younger artists that I CAN appreciate - there simply are many that I find lacking.

Ok I get it now; only the younger artists in which 'You' appreciate are qualitative, and all other young artists like Justin Bieber, even if others appreciate their songs, they are crap. (remember crap was your word not mine)

Hey, Stu - I'm not going to apologize for having an opinion that some music is good and some music is crap. As plenty of people have correctly pointed out above - it's all opinion, and that happens to be mine.

But apparently, only people who have a GOOD opinion of a corps' music choice are aloud to speak it aloud?

[Edit] P.S. - and everyone is free to disregard my opinion as crap, if they choose. Neat, how that works.

Edited by Eleran

There is so much great music to choose from, yet the most decorated organization in the drum corps activity will play a Justin Bieber song. Good lord. God help us.

Don Pesceone, Jerry Seawright, Gale Royer, Jim Jones & Bill Howard are getting together for a high level meeting tomorrow.

High Level Meeting to discuss Great Music; Well you must have forgotten the following High Brow Music performed under those in which you referenced...

Dueling Banjos was performed under Bill Howard

Let the Sun Shine In was performed under Jim Jones

If You Believe was performed under Gale Royer

High Level Meeting to discuss Great Music; Well you must have forgotten the following High Brow Music performed under those in which you referenced...

Dueling Banjos was performed under Bill Howard

Let the Sun Shine In was performed under Jim Jones

If You Believe was performed under Gale Royer

The Blue Devils are playing Justin Bieber. Let that sink in for a minute...

Hey, Stu - I'm not going to apologize for having an opinion that some music is good and some music is crap. As plenty of people have correctly pointed out above - it's all opinion, and that happens to be mine.

But apparently, only people who have a GOOD opinion of a corps' music choice are aloud to speak it aloud?

[Edit] P.S. - and everyone is free to disregard my opinion as crap, if they choose. Neat, how that works.

Hey Eleran: If you had written it in a manner that indicated it was your opinion that would have been fine; but when the word 'you' was injected twice into the sentence it changed the context into one of claiming that the BD staff also considers it as crap but chose it anyway to show off their great arranging skills.

• Like 1

The Blue Devils are playing Justin Bieber. Let that sink in for a minute...

I did let it sink in, and here is what I concluded. John la Barbera, for example, could take any Justin Bieber tune, arrange it for Big Band, put together some great jazz musicians to play the chart, and it would swing hard with high quality sounds. I am also confident that Dave Glyde, Wayne Downey, Scott Johnson and Jim Wunderlich will produce nearly the same quality with BD.

I did let it sink in, and here is what I concluded. John la Barbera, for example, could take any Justin Bieber tune, arrange it for Big Band, put together some great jazz musicians to play the chart, and it would swing hard with high quality sounds. I am also confident that Dave Glyde, Wayne Downey, Scott Johnson and Jim Wunderlich will produce nearly the same quality with BD.

So you think that any song can be arranged for a big band and swing hard? No. Just no.