The End Is Nigh

So it is the stuff from those younger than you, such as Justin Bieber, that you find abhorrent. Well, at least you are in good company. Socrates, Plato, and Hesiod all had the same reaction to youth of their day!

Its about time Justin Bieber got his respect on here as a Composer. Besides, reportedly Socrates, Plato couldn't sing or dance as well as Justin Bieber.

• Like 3

you didn't say the reason is because it's done with such a high quality.

No. As a matter of fact I DID say they can play anything because they have the (quote ) " MM talent, show design, guard, visual " to pull it off. You either missed that completely, or it simply sailed right over your head. But in any event, I sure as heck DID say what you believe that I didn't say.

Edited by BRASSO

Here's an example of the choreography from the show.

tumblr_inline_o4mmdoORd61qh7j0s_500.gif

Com'on, you have to admit it... Socrates, Plato didn't have dance moves like this.

Ummm... careful hoss, music quality vs crap is all just 'opinion'. Here are a few quotes:

"You know what Debussy is!? Calf's Foot Jelly! It is spineless Music!" - Prokofiev

Opening a piano and sitting on the keys, "There! That is what Wagner's music sounds like!" - Rossini

"I have not heard any Stockhausen, but I believe I have trodden in some." - Sir Thomas Beecham

Concerning one of his own works, "if that is modern music I want no part of it" - Vaughn Williams

"I do not know how, with no vibrato, Bach could have so many sons." - Hindemith

Well, its pretty clear that even before the Internet, before social media, DCP. etc.. fans of music, including world renowned composers themselves could at times be brutally frank in their assessments of the music of others. DCP, for the most part, is way,.. WAY.. more tame than THESE criticisms listed here. Some of these quoted criticisms from these learned Composers from back in the day would get you banned from DCP today.

Edited by BRASSO

Time will tell. The need to appear relevant by co-opting what the youth are up to is certainly nothing new. In 1971, 27th Lancers were playing "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?" (came out on the album in 69, but released as a single in Autumn 1970).

I wonder, though, if 45 years from now, as many people will remember this Bieber song as do the Chicago hit.

27th having a popular hit in its repertoire in 1971 was the norm, not the exception, but I do agree The Biebs" will probably not achieve the status of Chicago.

• Like 1

No. As a matter of fact I DID say they can play anything because they have the (quote ) " MM talent, show design, guard, visual " to pull it off. You either missed that completely, or it simply sailed right over your head. But in any event, I sure as heck DID say what you believe that I didn't say.

You are right , I apologize , I guess with the " ANYTHING " just seemed that it was being said like the ONLY reason was because they were elites, which is fine and all not a bad thing imo.

Sincere Apologies :smile:

• Like 1

27th having a popular hit in its repertoire in 1971 was the norm, not the exception, but I do agree The Biebs" will probably not achieve the status of Chicago.

Chicago 49 years of craft.

Played Carnegie Hall, Chicago Symphony Hall.

37 albums, 63 singles.

I agree with your Bieber prediction.

" Music is the movement of sound to reach the Soul for the education of its virtue... Philosophy is the highest Music. "

" We ought to esteem it of the greatest importance that the Fiction which children first hear, should be adapted in the most perfect manner to the promotion of Virtue "

Plato

" Not trying to be arrogant, but if I walked down the street and a girl saw me, she might take a look back because I'm good looking, right ? "

Justin Bieber

Edited by BRASSO

Reading 27th and popular music reminds me of my 1975 DCI DVD which lists 27th playing "Celebration - Kool and the Gang" as a concert number

Actually 3 Dog Nights "Celebrate" as Celebration didn't come out for a few more years. But Kool did have "Jungle Boogie" about that time (had it on 45 and drove my parents nuts with it).

LOL had some Chicago fans in my HS band saying THAT (Chicago) was how you have brass in popular music. My thought was K&TG was more exciting, too bad Earth Wind and Fire came out after we graduated and drifted apart.

Just because you have the quality to make crap sound acceptable doesn't mean you should select crap in the first place.

Mahler, Bruckner, Strauss, Sibelius, Delius, Vaughan Williams, Bax, Janacek, Hindemith, etc., etc. ... but no. They go with the guy posting on Facebook a selfie while grabbing his junk in his underwear.

Maybe that is a special clue about the guard costume and choreography for this year?