The End Is Nigh

So you think that any song can be arranged for a big band and swing hard? No. Just no.

Yes, just yes. Here are a few examples: Charlie Parker could take any tune, any tune at all, and play it on top of the existing musical progressions on stage (he often did this on the fly with other musicians stuff when he observed them walking into the club). Also, I attended a jazz symposium where Leon Breedon (of NT fame) for fun had those attending state a tune, the more corny the better, and he maneuvered the melody on top of some sweet chord progressions which in turn swung hard. So, yes, just yes, this can be done qualitatively with any melody provided that the arranger is excellent at the craft.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

Mahler, Bruckner, Strauss, Sibelius, Delius, Vaughan Williams, Bax, Janacek, Hindemith, etc., etc. ... but no. They go with the guy posting on Facebook a selfie while grabbing his junk in his underwear.

To be fair, Facebook wasn't available to those guys.

• Like 2

I'd be interested to know the average ages of the posters in this thread. I've listened to the song and I am fine with it. Would I put it on in the car whilst on my way to my AARP meeting? Probably not but then again, I am not the 19-22 year old kid that DOES listen to Justin Bieber and is marching this song. Lest you forget, there was a time in DCI when playing contemporary pop songs was very common. People need to chill out and let's see what it's like on the field. I actually thought last years KPop section was the highlight of the show....

And I am 45.

• Like 1

I know I'm going to regret posting in here, but a few things:

1. This is more a Skrillex / Diplo tune than it is Beiber

2. Skrillex has been done with great success and great audience engagement in WGI. Just ask Matrix 2013.

3. Not that this is likely to be the direction that BD takes, but here's a pretty nice cover by Florence + The Machine:

https://youtu.be/TyNSh0kA1fI

• Like 1

Is the corps going to the Argentine flags to the ground like JB did?

NY Daily New reported that a fan gave JB an Argentine national flag thru the window of his limo. Before the lime went a block he pitched it out the window.

Yowsa.....

Is the corps going to the Argentine flags to the ground like JB did?

NY Daily New reported that a fan gave JB an Argentine national flag thru the window of his limo. Before the lime went a block he pitched it out the window.

Yowsa.....

I don't know. Wagner was an anti-semite. Does that make Phantom Regiment anti-semitic?

You're all forgetting a very critical piece of information. BD doesn't play more than about a 20 second snippet of any song. So this Biebs thing (and somebody already said it's a percussion feature) will likely be all Blue Deviled to the point that you won't recognize it anyway. So, tempest in a teapot.

• Like 2

While the idea of a drum corps playing Bieber is cringe worthy, I can take anything after the K-pop section last year.

I loved BD last year (which I normally can't say), but the K-pop was a bit lengthy. I suspect we'll see the Bieber used in a similar way.

. I've listened to the song and I am fine with it. Would I put it on in the car whilst on my way to my AARP meeting? Probably not

And I am 45.

Whilst you were at the door entrance, AARP wouldn't let you in. You don't qualify.