Favorite Source Music - 2016 Edition

How so? If original music can't stand alone, that means the arranger phoned it in and didn't put too much thought into composing it. Or, as we see all too often see today, it's just being use as "sound effects" to back drill or portrayal of a theme.

Wow, how insulting to the activity of drum corps. So in your opinion, the music produced by corps in DCI is inherently inferior to the source music because they are being used to portray a theme or be used for sound effects? Do you have an issue with the fact that corps use less variety of instrumentation than the source music?

What do you propose?? That the composer make an original piece AND THEN adapt it for drum corps to prove it can "stand on its own" rather than just dedicating all his time into making a piece just for a corps to use?

I repeat what I said: this might be one of the weirdest stances I've heard on DCP.

• Like 2

Another few that I didn't get to last night that I've been listening to:

Santa Clara Vanguard - Without Warning, Stephen Melillo

This is some incredibly exciting music, some potentially amazing mello lines and horn runs that could be constructed from this music! Listening to their source music and looking at their brass staff changes no one seemed to have noticed is making me rethink my potential prediction of having them drop. They're definitely the one of the top 5 that seems to be predicted lower the most. Hmm. They have some REALLY great music picked out. We shall see. This could make an amazing opener.

Boston Crusaders - The Impossible Dream, from Man of La Mancha

Can't believe Boston slipped my mind when I made this thread. They have one of my favorite shows on announcement this year. Really cool theme and seemingly unique approach to it. And some very emotionally charged, beautiful music. This could make an amazing ballad or closer. Looking forward to it.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2