Favorite Source Music - 2016 Edition

If your music couldn't stand on its own outside of drum corps, I dont want to hear it in drum corps. Plain and simple.

That's the weirdest stance I've ever heard on DCP

• Like 2

I've been listening to Todo Tiende what can best be termed "an unhealthy amount" since the Bluecoats music was announced. I can't wait to see what they do with it.

Same here. I got some strange looks in the car one day jamming out to it.

Good picks. Your post forces me to listen to them all! Thank you for that. Best from these: BK, Coats & OC. You're right - Oregon's going to kill it with that Queen ballad. Wow. And Bloo's tasty Ojos de Brujo tune makes me want to buy the album. Yummy stuff. BK will surely dazzle with the Rouse.

Can't get too excited about Crown's El Tango de Roxanne though because OC used it in 2012, and it was one of my favorite parts of the show! The Star's choice doesn't reach out and grab me but it will be interesting to see what they do with it. Elegy for Dunkirk sounds like it was written with the Cavies in mind.

I guess I'll have to start listening to some source music so I can come up with my own list. Gimme a couple of hours and some noise cancelling phones. Great thread!

I'm really excited about everything Oregon is playing. Tried to limit myself to one per corps, and I think the Queen could make an amazing ballad.

This is a cool thread. That is all.

Thanks. Was listening to the 2016 playlist on spotify late last night writing some drill and I thought it would make a great discussion topic. :music:

If your music couldn't stand on its own outside of drum corps, I don’t want to hear it in drum corps. Plain and simple.

Drum Corps music, that is copied from outsiders and transformed in snippets and with instrumentation usage for use in Drum Corps competition shows, " can't stand on its own in this manner outside of drum corps" either. But I don't care about any that. But if you don't like Drum Corps Original Music thats cool as well too,.. of course.. Corps have won DCI Titles playing Original Music that I liked, but more importantly for the winning Corps, the DCI judges seemed to as well that season.

Edited by BRASSO

Two things to say:

1. That BK piece! OMG! Can you say DRUMLINE DEATH SQUAD?, and

2. Thanks to DrumManTX for posting links to the source music so I didn't have to go hunting.

Now that my brain is beginning to calm down after Gorgon I can continue to listen to the rest...

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

Santa Clara Vanguard - Into the Storm - Probably an amazing closer. Medal?????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5x6cIFZhxM

I believe you're thinking of Stephen Melillo's "After the Storm," which I had mentioned earlier.

​And to answer your question, put [ youtube ] and [/ youtube ] around a YouTube link in order to embed a video.

​

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

If your music couldn't stand on its own outside of drum corps, I don’t want to hear it in drum corps. Plain and simple.

A few composers have made a good living writing their original compositions for Advertisers, TV, Movies, etc ( Music Arranger, and DCI Hall of Famer, Larry Kerchner comes to mind as one ). But they would never write similar stuff for DCI Drum Corps. For obvious reasons. What works for the public at large well, generally won't work all that well with this small niche genre we call DCI/ DCA Drum Corps competition.

Edited by BRASSO

(If anyone could tell me how to embed a video, I would LOVE that.)

Across the top of the post screen, the third link from the left is called "Special BBCode".

First, copy the URL to the video, the click the "Special BBCode" button link and click the drop-down arrow. Then select "Media" (7th one down) and paste your link in the URL box. Then click "OK" and you're done.

Carolina Crown - The Ecstasy of Gold - This is going to be INCREDIBLE live, I can picture it right now. I know it's not Medea but I have my hopes set VERY high!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOr0na6mKJQ

The Cadets - Turning - SO PRETTY, SO DARK. Best almost ballad ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIbLqa6iwj4

Blue Devils - Return of the Lion - Dramatic. Can't wait to see how this show evolves. Beautiful concept, source music is great... But we'll see!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISLxIyMIRt8

Boston Crusaders - The Impossible Dream - Always loved this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHrqrlZYsDA

Santa Clara Vanguard - IGNORE ME

Madison Scouts - All of it! - Love Jesus Christ Superstar. Almost as good as Hamilton haha. I better have my face blown off in Massillon.

(If anyone could tell me how to embed a video, I would LOVE that. I tried and failed miserably.)

That's the weirdest stance I've ever heard on DCP

How so? If original music can't stand alone, that means the arranger phoned it in and didn't put too much thought into composing it. Or, as we see all too often see today, it's just being use as "sound effects" to back drill or portrayal of a theme.

I'm looking forward to hearing the Bluecoats rendition of " Raga Raja " by Project Trio.

I believe it has the potential to be a hit this summer.... ' matter of fact I believe their whole show could be the ballz.

Their show appears to me like it just might have some sort of earthy, intense Flamenco/ Hip Hop/ Jazz fusion feel to it. If so, that should provide the Bluecoats with some great percussive moments in the show. I usually enjoy the Bluecoats Percussion arrangements, so I'm really looking forward to this as yet unnamed show of theirs.

• Like 2