Favorite Source Music - 2016 Edition

So everyone has announced what they're playing at least, and there is a TON of variety in what corps have decided to play this year.

What are your favorites? What are you most excited to hear?

Mine:

Blue Knights - Gorgon, Christopher Rouse

This is music written straight from the devils quill. It's nasty, intense, ridiculous, and something I can't wait to hear. I'm sure people know I like shows on the dark side if they are done really well, and I don't see how this can't be. This is the kind of music nightmares are made of.

Blue Stars - Overture, from La Reve, Benoit Jutras

Not much else to say other than this is incredibly beautiful music. Love it when corps use Cirque de Solei stuff, and I could see this being one of the more lush, beautiful pieces this year.

Bluecoats - Todo Tiende, Ojos de Brujo

I think they have selected some incredibly fun, groovin, exciting music this year. And this might be my favorite of the 2016 lot overall. So exciting, high energy, and fun. I'm incredibly excited to see how Rarick and Thrower arrange this. So much potential across the board. Some great opportunities for the front ensemble in terms of some ethnic percussion, some great grooves that their drum parts could be written over, and I cannot wait to see what spicy, aggressive stuff the honrline has in store for us. If this is the closer, I think this show, whatever it is, will finish with a bang.

Carolina Crown - El Tango De Roxan, from Moulin Rouge

I almost put Medea for Crown.........but this is one of my all time favorite movie scenes, and if you listen to what this is about, it's incredibly fitting for their show. Besides that, who doesn't love an intense emotionally charged tango for a drum corps show? This should be really fun.

The Cavaliers - Elegy for Dunkirk, Dario Marianelli

Seems like there could be a TON of great ballads this year. This is another one. Beautiful stuff, especially if you dig a little bit into what is being chanted by the soldiers over the beautiful orchestral score for this movie. Pair that with their theme, and there are some very interesting possibilities. This should be gorgeous.

Oregon Crusaders - Who Wants to Live Forever, Queen

Almost put the Muse song here for them......I think it's worth mentioning how much I love their source music overall. So much diversity and weird combos I'm sure they'll make work. Cool to see some not cliche Queen music being used. I'm positive this will make an absolutely stunning ballad from them.

• Like 2

Everything by BK. Gorgon will SHOCK the audience, moonlight sonata/the great event will give you chills, and Saturn will make you cry like you've never cried before. Very emotional show and the music is perfect for what they want to do.

Cadets. I love me some Mackey

Oregon Crusaders. This is actually one of the shows I'm most excited for. Muse AND Queen? How does it get any better? Oh yeah they had to add Bjork as well. This show is going to kill it.

Bluecoats. I don't even need the title. That music grooves hard.

Honorable Mentions: Crown, BD, Madison, BAC,

• Like 1

Blue Devils: "The Impossible." Just an absolutely beautiful ballad. I'm excited to hear BD's take on it.

Blue Knights & Bluecoats: EVERYTHING!

Cadets: "Turning." I was skeptical at first, but after watching clips of that section from ST, I've been totally stunned and can't wait to see the show live!

Carolina Crown: The two brass band pieces. I'm very glad they're using that genre again. I missed it last year!

Phantom Regiment: "Prelude No. 14." Very dark and foreboding, yet so distinctly Phantom.

SCV: "After the Storm." One listen to the piece and I knew it would be an emotional closer. I also would love to see them throw in a "VANGUARD!" yell at around the 6:30 mark (just before the big hit).

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

I'm looking forward to the Drum Corps Music that is not copied from either another Drum Corps ( thats been played before 5-15 times ) or from some other non Drum Corps Music composer. I like to hear the new, fresh, and original stuff, written exclusively for Drum Corps. Yes, I do realize todays DCI judges like the music written by outsiders, but thats not the question posed here. Its what new music source material are we most looking forward to hearing. A couple that come immediately to mind for me are :

Crossmen... Original Music written for Drum Corps by Drum Corps Composer, Andrew Markworth.

Mandarins.... Original Music written for Drum Corps by Drum Corps Composer Key Poulan

Troopers....... Original Music written for Drum Corps by Drum Corps Composers R. Smith/ P. Rennick

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Cadets. I love me some Mackey

Respighi too! Can't wait.

So everyone has announced what they're playing at least, and there is a TON of variety in what corps have decided to play this year.

What are your favorites? What are you most excited to hear?

Mine:

Blue Knights - Gorgon, Christopher Rouse

This is music written straight from the devils quill. It's nasty, intense, ridiculous, and something I can't wait to hear. I'm sure people know I like shows on the dark side if they are done really well, and I don't see how this can't be. This is the kind of music nightmares are made of.

Blue Stars - Overture, from La Reve, Benoit Jutras

Not much else to say other than this is incredibly beautiful music. Love it when corps use Cirque de Solei stuff, and I could see this being one of the more lush, beautiful pieces this year.

Bluecoats - Todo Tiende, Ojos de Brujo

I think they have selected some incredibly fun, groovin, exciting music this year. And this might be my favorite of the 2016 lot overall. So exciting, high energy, and fun. I'm incredibly excited to see how Rarick and Thrower arrange this. So much potential across the board. Some great opportunities for the front ensemble in terms of some ethnic percussion, some great grooves that their drum parts could be written over, and I cannot wait to see what spicy, aggressive stuff the honrline has in store for us. If this is the closer, I think this show, whatever it is, will finish with a bang.

Carolina Crown - El Tango De Roxan, from Moulin Rouge

I almost put Medea for Crown.........but this is one of my all time favorite movie scenes, and if you listen to what this is about, it's incredibly fitting for their show. Besides that, who doesn't love an intense emotionally charged tango for a drum corps show? This should be really fun.

The Cavaliers - Elegy for Dunkirk, Dario Marianelli

Seems like there could be a TON of great ballads this year. This is another one. Beautiful stuff, especially if you dig a little bit into what is being chanted by the soldiers over the beautiful orchestral score for this movie. Pair that with their theme, and there are some very interesting possibilities. This should be gorgeous.

Oregon Crusaders - Who Wants to Live Forever, Queen

Almost put the Muse song here for them......I think it's worth mentioning how much I love their source music overall. So much diversity and weird combos I'm sure they'll make work. Cool to see some not cliche Queen music being used. I'm positive this will make an absolutely stunning ballad from them.

Good picks. Your post forces me to listen to them all! Thank you for that. Best from these: BK, Coats & OC. You're right - Oregon's going to kill it with that Queen ballad. Wow. And Bloo's tasty Ojos de Brujo tune makes me want to buy the album. Yummy stuff. BK will surely dazzle with the Rouse.

Can't get too excited about Crown's El Tango de Roxanne though because OC used it in 2012, and it was one of my favorite parts of the show! The Star's choice doesn't reach out and grab me but it will be interesting to see what they do with it. Elegy for Dunkirk sounds like it was written with the Cavies in mind.

I guess I'll have to start listening to some source music so I can come up with my own list. Gimme a couple of hours and some noise cancelling phones. Great thread!

Edited by luv4corps

I'm looking forward to the Drum Corps Music that is not copied from either another Drum Corps ( thats been played before 5-15 times ) or from some other non Drum Corps Music composer. I like to hear the new, fresh, and original stuff, written exclusively for Drum Corps. Yes, I do realize todays DCI judges like the music written by outsiders, but thats not the question posed here. Its what new music source material are we most looking forward to hearing. A couple that come immediately to mind for me are :

Crossmen... Original Music written for Drum Corps by Drum Corps Composer, Andrew Markworth.

Mandarins.... Original Music written for Drum Corps by Drum Corps Composer Key Poulan

Troopers....... Original Music written for Drum Corps by Drum Corps Composers R. Smith/ P. Rennick

If your music couldn't stand on its own outside of drum corps, I don’t want to hear it in drum corps. Plain and simple.

• Like 1

Carolina Crown - The Ecstasy of Gold - This is going to be INCREDIBLE live, I can picture it right now. I know it's not Medea but I have my hopes set VERY high!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOr0na6mKJQ

The Cadets - Turning - SO PRETTY, SO DARK. Best almost ballad ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIbLqa6iwj4

Blue Devils - Return of the Lion - Dramatic. Can't wait to see how this show evolves. Beautiful concept, source music is great... But we'll see!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISLxIyMIRt8

Boston Crusaders - The Impossible Dream - Always loved this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHrqrlZYsDA

Santa Clara Vanguard - IGNORE ME

Madison Scouts - All of it! - Love Jesus Christ Superstar. Almost as good as Hamilton haha. I better have my face blown off in Massillon.

(If anyone could tell me how to embed a video, I would LOVE that. I tried and failed miserably.)

Edited by noahsigs