DCI Live! Broadcast - Monday June 20th Headliners Cadets & Cav

It is so unfortunate when people say negative comments about any corps. Especially when the marching members can read these public feeds. Everybody has a right to their opinions and speech. But I believe that if you can't say something positive, especially on a public thread, well, enough said.

I would respectfully disagree with this position. While its unfortunate that things might be said on here about Corps by posters that are negative, I believe that we give little credit to the marchers in these World Class Division Corps to be able to shrug it off, or even to chuckle at what people say about them, or even place them in their preseason predictions or whatever. We want these young adults to learn to be mentally tough and strong, and they ARE learning this life long skill, by their mere participation in DCI Drum Corps this summer. Finally, without going into detail, but most here will know what I am referring to, it was not that long ago, when some Corps Directors said far worse things about their colleague Corps, and by extension its Corps MM's , with their actions alone, than anything ever said before by any poster here on DCP. That said, the heads up for posters to think before they post something or other on here, is good advice as a reminder, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 5

Agreed. We heard stuff all the time when I marched and we just shrugged it off and kept doing what we did.

• Like 2

Just got a chance to watch the Cadets from the YouTube link that is still up. I must say I really like it. Extremely dirty, but really effective stuff taking place. I think there is a LOT of potential with this show. It all depends on how they adjust from this point on. Love the music, and brass and percussion sound as though they will be top 3 in each caption. A lot more jazz running than what we are used to seeing from the Cadets typical model of controlled velocity. Definitely more staging, and the guard work is extremely demanding.

Will the show have that emotional punch? Hard to say. Statues coming to life does not bring about a sense of joy, sadness, horror, or even an "oh my gosh, how did they do that?" Perhaps it brings about amazement or intrigue, and the later is a tough thing to sell in drum corps. Amazement and wonderment can be sold, but how is the question? I'm sure there is more to this theme/story, so I'll wait until I know more about what they are really trying to convey.

Their visual ensemble scores will be fine based on the level of interaction in the show, and the drill is quite nice -- very new for them. Their music scores should be excellent as they improve. We know their marching will improve. Ultimately it will come down to GE with them. Will the show have those 2 or 3 BIG GE moments needed to medal or to win? I think for sure one of them is in the ballad. The rest is yet to be determined on cleaning and change.

Definitely a good first live performance for them.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2