How fair is it?

Correction - Rule number one ALWAYS: never compare scores between competitions, be it in June or in late July. The only time corps scores can be compared is when they are participating in the same competition (or Allentown, which is split into two days but judged with the previous day's results taken into account).

Agreed, but June especially. I always gauge improvement and spread changes over nights with corps going head to head and stuff later on (not comparing different shows), but I usually don't take much of anything from June too seriously.

So Bluecoats won with 69.somethin on Thursday and on Friday Blue Devils won with a 68.somethin. I know judging is different at different venues, but it would make sense that the harsher judges would be at the bigger event (in this case Thursday). So is it fair to say Bluecoats are definitively on top right now? (Love their show by the way)

Absolutely not. There is no way you can compare different scores from different shows. No way. I think it's only safe to say that Bluecoats definitely have a championship caliber show. I honestly don't care whether they win or not with this show. It is my favorite I have seen so far this year.

• Like 1

Correction - Rule number one ALWAYS: never compare scores between competitions, be it in June or in late July. The only time corps scores can be compared is when they are participating in the same competition (or Allentown, which is split into two days but judged with the previous day's results taken into account).

And human nature and the fickleness of human emotion being taken into account, I'm not sure that even those results can truly be compared.

feel like thats already happened..

As was the case with the Golden State Warriors...and look where that ended up.

• Like 2

Do we crown them as Emperor? In their new clothes?

Only if they're on horseback. And even then...it might be Lady Godiva in disguise.

As was the case with the Golden State Warriors...and look where that ended up.

With glorious, glorious, blissful heaven?!?!!!!!

(yes, I'm originally from Cleveland and ELATED, EXUBERANT, excited: as if the world has righted itself from the past 50+ years)

Edited by perc2100
  • Like 2

Scores are valid for one night, one location and one show only......and even then they should be held suspect.

Any Drum & Bugle Competition that does not have field judges, or no brass judge, or no percussion judge, or no guard judge ( or any combination of these missing ) should be held highly suspect. And any show where a competitor has as their closer a closer that for several minutes does absolutely nothing, should never... EVER..... receive a total performance score over 50 in my opinion.' And if its more than just the closer that does nothing, that Corps should not score over 35 or 40 in my opinion. No matter how well performed half the show might have been . All Corps closers are to be judged " AS IS :.... not " WHAT IT WILL BE ".Doesn't matter if that Corps performance nothingness for half their show in competition to be judged was in June, or at Championships, imo. ' All Corps that produce something, even just so so, are infinitely better than a Corps that stands still for half their time in performance competition and produces nothing at all there. Everybody with me on this ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3