Northwest 2016 Shows

We attended the Auburn, WA and Tigard, OR show over the last two days and I have several observations, even though it is very early in the season....

• Scoring on the west coast seems to be particularly harsh this year, even for World Class corps.
  • The Columbians continue to greatly improve and will take their tour to Denver for DOTR. If you have the chance to see them, please do! They are a fantastic example of how a drum corps that folded in 1975 has re-emerged as a great unit under fantastic leadership. Their show is very engaging, although I'm not quite understanding their selection of "Fire and Rain"....
  • If you catch The Oregon Crusaders, watch for the bass player in the drum pit. You won't be able to not watch him.
  • The Seattle Cascades have significantly improved over their 2014-2015 shows. Gone are the neon green plumes on their shakos, thank goodness. The horn line is vastly improved, but they are still getting scored quite harshly.
  • The brand new corps out of Provo, UT, "The Battalion" is off to a GREAT start! 104 members strong and their drum line is great; the hornline still need some polish to get that "shine"...but, wow, they received a standing ovation at their very first show. Interestingly, their uniforms reminded me of the Freelancers with the black/white/red pattern and the belt buckle across the chest.
  • Santa Clara is great, however their opening "blast" is a still muted than from previous shows. However, they make up for it later in the show. I was taken aback that they scored a 72 on 7/2 in Tigard, OR.

It's so wonderful to see the Pacific Northwest growing in drum corps. I'm sad to say that Eruption out of Gig Harbor is not active in 2016. I hope they can regroup for 2017. Also, Thunder out of Spokane, WA only fielded 17 horns this year. For a city that is much larger than Pasco (home of the Columbians), it's hard to understand why they are not growing. I hope that all the PNW corps can collaborate and mentor each other to grow and grow.

Edited by 81Freelancers

We attended the Auburn, WA and Tigard, OR show over the last two days and I have several observations, even though it is very early in the season....

• Scoring on the west coast seems to be particularly harsh this year, even for World Class corps.
  • The Columbians continue to greatly improve and will take their tour to Denver for DOTR. If you have the chance to see them, please do! They are a fantastic example of how a drum corps that folded in 1975 has re-emerged as a great unit under fantastic leadership. Their show is very engaging, although I'm not quite understanding their selection of "Fire and Rain"....
  • If you catch The Oregon Crusaders, watch for the bass player in the drum pit. You won't be able to not watch him.

Just two comments: Pretty sure "Fire and Rain" was chosen for these lyrics: Just yesterday mornin' they let me know you were gone.... [and] but I always thought that I'd see you again - as in losing someone to war. I absolutely loved the nostalgic song choices in their show. Remembering last year's show about WWII, I have to say they do nostalgia well.

I agree about OC's pit guy - the pit in general - is on fire in that show. I have never focused on a pit as much as I have in my few viewings of that run. (Not sure that's a good thing : / )They are totally in character even for stand ups. The rest of the corps needs to catch up to that level of intensity!

As far as scoring goes... yeah I think it's an issue - but will iron out at DATR.

Edited by luv4corps

I'd add a big thank you to SCV for making the trip up again. DCI has to grow its audience in the NW and it is easier to do that when a top unit is performing.

Gee BD, are we ever going to see you at these shows again? 2008 was a long time ago!

I totally agree, but drum corps IS growing in the NW: Columbians, Cascades, Eruption (see you in 2017?), OR Crusaders....does Provo, UT count as "NW?"

If only someone could revive Black Watch, that would be something.

Edited by 81Freelancers
  • Like 1

I heard from a reliable source that NEXT year might be the year for BD to come up north. Fingers crossed.

I still have fond memories of when the BD and SCV came up in 2004 to Seattle and played at the CLink (formerly known as the Seahawks Stadium). Coincidently, during BDs train show, a train ran by next to the stadium with horns blaring.

Yes, and one of only a couple of times in recent memory when SCV beat BD.

• Like 1

I heard from a reliable source that NEXT year might be the year for BD to come up north. Fingers crossed.

If that holds true, than it's gonna be road trip up the I-5 North for me from SoCal. Gotta see my BD every year even if they don't come south. Pacific Northwest here i come, next year lol.