Any lock for Top 3?

It's looking to me more and more every time I see it: I'm gonna pencil in BD for top 2. The only way I see them dropping to 3rd is if both Bloo and Crown greatly increase the sophistication and complexity of their productions (Bluecoats more than Crown). They need to add more layers and need to both be cleaner than BD. The likelihood of this happening for both corps? Not that likely, but possible. For one? Very well could happen. Other than these 3, it's probably going to be an outside shot for Cadets and Cavaliers. As much as I want to see SCV in the mix, especially with this show, I just don't think its going to happen this year. I also think that once everyone gets together, you're going to see these as the solid top 6, with Phantom by themselves in 7th. Then another gap to the rest of the field. Yay another year for the G7...I hope I'm wrong.

Totally agree with the majority of this paragraph, but I'm not counting out The Cadets just yet...they are planning on peaking in August. My top 4 is definitely BD, Crown, Bluecoats, and Cadets. I just don't know what order.

Totally agree with the majority of this paragraph, but I'm not counting out The Cadets just yet...they are planning on peaking in August. My top 4 is definitely BD, Crown, Bluecoats, and Cadets. I just don't know what order.

Very much agree! Cadets are rising, and rightfully so. Difficult to see that production and talent end any lower the Fourth Place. I do believe Blue Devils are a "lock" for Top 3, so that means 5-7 fine corps are really trying to squeeze into 2 vacancies. Regrettable, somehow.

• Like 1

You say it like that's a bad thing. If their shows are entertaining and they perform better than the groups below them, why shouldn't that be rewarded?

I don't think he meant it as a bad thing. I think he meant he hopes that there isn't a huge gap between the top 7 corps and the remaining finalist. The top 7 corps are the best of the best no doubt about it, I don't think he was discrediting that in any way. If anything, I think he was telling the lower corps to pick up the slack lol at least that's what I got from it.

Edited by CaviesFan17
  • Like 1

I don't think he meant it as a bad thing. I think he meant he hopes that there isn't a huge gap between the top 7 corps and the remaining finalist. The top 7 corps are the best of the best no doubt about it, I don't think he was discrediting that in any way. If anything, I think he was telling the lower corps to pick up the slack lol at least that's what I got from it.

Yes, this is more so how I feel. If those 7 corps are clearly by far and away the best 7 corps, then yes, the rankings should reflect that without question. I just wish there were more competition across the board like we've been seeing outside of the top 7, where corps can move up or down as many as 5-6 places in a given year. Jumps such as those from 17th to 12th are seen as much more reasonable to predict and happen more frequently than those from 11th to 6th or 9th to 4th. I just like unpredictability and change in the standings to keep things exciting rather than the built in self-fulfilling prophecy that is the G7.

• Like 1

Yes, this is more so how I feel. If those 7 corps are clearly by far and away the best 7 corps, then yes, the rankings should reflect that without question. I just wish there were more competition across the board like we've been seeing outside of the top 7, where corps can move up or down as many as 5-6 places in a given year. Jumps such as those from 17th to 12th are seen as much more reasonable to predict and happen more frequently than those from 11th to 6th or 9th to 4th. I just like unpredictability and change in the standings to keep things exciting rather than the built in self-fulfilling prophecy that is the G7.

I'd just like to point out that 7 or so corps performing at a caliber worthy to contend is hardly an example of low or limited competition. For much of DCI history there have only been 3 or 4 worthy of medaling and 1 obvious gold winner for a stretch of time. Those days are mostly in the past. For some time now, we have watched 6 to 8 corps trade caption wins and up to 5 or so give a legitimate run for a win on occasion.

That's a long way from the 90's-00's.

G7 or 8 is a long way from G3 or 4.

Isn't that term fairly antiquated anyway?

Edited by cfirwin3

Agreed. Cadets are cooking up something good there.
  • Like 1

Very much agree! Cadets are rising, and rightfully so. Difficult to see that production and talent end any lower the Fourth Place. I do believe Blue Devils are a "lock" for Top 3, so that means 5-7 fine corps are really trying to squeeze into 2 vacancies. Regrettable, somehow.

Bluecoats have fallen back a little, but they also haven't competed since the 3rd. Based on early viewings, I would be shocked not to see them top 3 come August. There is, however, always the possibility that they hit a peak or plateau, especially since they came out of the gate so incredibly strong and with such a complete show. But I know Dean Westman...I think they're going to be experimenting and tweaking that thing with some more goodies to come.

So... in summary

1. BD most likely

2. Coats/Crown likely for medals

3. Cadets are rising in their chances to challenge for a medal

4. SCV/Cavaliers have an outside shot

5. No one is really "a lock" for a medal given it is the first week in July

And Crown Guard tosses too much :)

I think that's everything!