A non top 3 discussion

I am really, really digging Academy's show. Probably my favorite enjoyment wise.

• Like 1

I'm really excited to see Academy and Troopers on the 27th

Most of DCP may dislike it, but damnn I love this year's edition of phantom regiment! I'm hoping that they can bump up their music scores so that they can stay on pace with BK and Blue Stars!

Phantom Regiment doesn't do much for me in the Visual realm ( well, ok, I'm a hetero, so the Phantomettes keep my attention throughout, for obvious reasons.. haha!). But musically, Phantom Regiment still delivers for me. As such, they are one of my favorite 4 or 5 shows this season. Incidentally, in San Antonio, Texas yesterday , the audience there gave Phantom Regiment a great enthustiastic, positive reception to their show.... so it is true, that sometimes the opinions expressed here on DCP, do not always mirror the larger audience at large throughout the country.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

interesting Blue Stars beat both Phantom and BK in music at San Antonio, seemingly Phantom and BK strongest area. If Blue Stars clean up a little more their more demanding visual, I believe they will leap frog both... Time will tell, but I know Blue Stars will compete strongly for the slot

Edited by brians

Wanted to start a topic for everybody outside the top 3. After scores were announced there were pages about the top 3. After watching the Web cast yesterday I was impressed with the quality in 4-open class. Genesis could be making that push to become a world class group next year. Cascades rarely get talked about on here but I see a group with a great future after the last 2 years. You've got a big fight going in the 14-18 area and academy cracked into the top 12. The Academy is the Cinderella story cracking into the top 12 with an amazing show. Seems like a god match up to watch is Madison vs Crossman not knowing who will come out on top. The much talked about BK getting 6th has turned into a close battle with Blue Stars and Phantom. Cavies have come out of nowhere edging close to the cadets and vanguard. There's so much going on outside the top 3 I feel like they need some recognition. So post some positives and discuss on those outside the medals.

Outside the top 3 I am really liking The Academy (Prob. going to be my favorite in 2016), Crossmen, Seattle Cascades and Santa Clara.....

Phantom Regiment doesn't do much for me in the Visual realm ( well, ok, I'm a hetero, so the Phantomettes keep my attention throughout, for obvious reasons.. haha!). But musically, Phantom Regiment still delivers for me. As such, they are one of my favorite 4 or 5 shows this season. Incidentally, in San Antonio, Texas yesterday , the audience there gave Phantom Regiment a great enthustiastic, positive reception to their show.... so it is true, that sometimes the opinions expressed here on DCP, do not always mirror the larger audience at large throughout the country.

The point of this was to try and get a positive topic for other corps that aren't normally discussed on here. DCP is very niche in the top 3 and then a few homers can get some topics.

Glad to see that at least a few people are mentioning the Cascades. That show is extremely solid throughout all captions, and this corps has seriously been improving for the past 3 years. I wish the judges liked them as much as I did, I had them ahead of PC and Spirit last night. Either way, this show is probably my favorite of theirs(with the exception of 2002).

Another show worth mentioning is the Oregon Crusaders. That music arranging is phenomenal and I think that their 2016 show may become my favorite of theirs ever!

I was at the Alamodome from the first Soundsport performance onward. (I did leave before Crown since I've seen them twice already and I wanted to get a jump start on the traffic - had to get up very early on Sunday morning) I'll comment a little bit on a few, but not everyone. I don't have the energy yet!

First off, I want to mention Horizon Drum and Bugle Corps (Soundsport participant): For those who didn't get to see them, there is something special happening in northwest Texas! Props to Andy Miranda and Paul Garza for getting this fledgling corps together in short order. I can't wait to see what happens next. Take a look at Horizon. I think they'll be going places. Michael Boo took notice on the live feed blog, from what I understand.

Genesis (Austin) is really impressive this year - so glad to see more corps in Texas really making it happen for them. When I marched in the Nighthawks from Houston in 1983 and 1984 (until we folded after our home show), it was not clear if drum corps could make it here. Finally, after a few decades of drum corps alumni joining the ranks of band directors, Texas is becoming the drum corps powerhouse it was primed to be even back in my day. In any case, Genesis' show is beautiful and very well performed. (though I could do without the Phantom Regiment style killing, LOL!) I think they'll be heading to World Class soon.

Seattle Cascades: really lovely show, I enjoyed the "O" props. I have a big fondness for one particular detail in their marching style: the turnout of feet at the halt. I love their particular angle: just large enough to make me notice, but not so much that it looks weird. They have talent, and the show is demanding.

Mandarins have been a head-turner for me for a few years, and this year is no exception. There's a maturity in their style that I'm very fond of. It feels subtle, and I can't explain it. But I like it. I enjoy their shows, though I rarely understand them. This year is no exception. Good stuff to watch and listen to.

Obligatory homer comment here: TROOP! Yes, I like the show, a LOT. The brass is gorgeous, the percussion book is very musical and well played, and the guard has improved greatly this year. But, as I always tell people when they ask me "will they move up this year?": the only thing we can control is our own show. What other corps do from year to year is the X factor. Can Troopers make top 12? Yes. Will they? I don't know, and I don't care. This show brings me the feels, and I love it. I'm particularly fond of the Corigliano section. It's my second favorite part of the show (the first being Fix You). Go Troop!!!!

Academy: WOW - now this will be a show to remember. Incredibly good story telling, high quality musical and visual performance, very good design - including excellent musical choices and arrangements, and they are selling it like crazy. It's one of those elusive home run shows where everything falls into place, and that every corps hopes to create.

Blue Knights: huh. Loved their 2014 and 2015 shows. This one isn't doing it for me. If I have to read a website and watch some kind of video or movie beforehand to get it, then the design is flawed. (in my opinion of course) As always they play and move well. This show just doesn't grab me. (again, just my opinion and taste)

Blue Stars: What a musically rich show! I don't care for the bed(s), or the weird lady in the gold dress. I just want them to play that music and make me drool. Very tasty percussion arranging, and the guard is, as is par for their course, outstanding.

Last, but absolutely not least: SCV. Such a beautiful show, musically speaking. The last time I enjoyed SCV this much was their recent Les Mis show, and before that their 2009 Appalachian Spring show.

Edited to add: someone else mentioned BK's pants color difference. I also feel like they look odd - to me they look like they are limping. Not sure if this affects perception of marching or not from a judging perspective.

Edited by TerriTroop
  • Like 1

I was at the Alamodome from the first Soundsport performance onward. (I did leave before Crown since I've seen them twice already and I wanted to get a jump start on the traffic - had to get up very early on Sunday morning) I'll comment a little bit on a few, but not everyone. I don't have the energy yet!

First off, I want to mention Horizon Drum and Bugle Corps (Soundsport participant): For those who didn't get to see them, there is something special happening in northwest Texas! Props to Andy Miranda and Paul Garza for getting this fledgling corps together in short order. I can't wait to see what happens next. Take a look at Horizon. I think they'll be going places. Michael Boo took notice on the live feed blog, from what I understand.

Genesis (Austin) is really impressive this year - so glad to see more corps in Texas really making it happen for them. When I marched in the Nighthawks from Houston in 1983 and 1984 (until we folded after our home show), it was not clear if drum corps could make it here. Finally, after a few decades of drum corps alumni joining the ranks of band directors, Texas is becoming the drum corps powerhouse it was primed to be even back in my day. In any case, Genesis' show is beautiful and very well performed. (though I could do without the Phantom Regiment style killing, LOL!) I think they'll be heading to World Class soon.

Seattle Cascades: really lovely show, I enjoyed the "O" props. I have a big fondness for one particular detail in their marching style: the turnout of feet at the halt. I love their particular angle: just large enough to make me notice, but not so much that it looks weird. They have talent, and the show is demanding.

Mandarins have been a head-turner for me for a few years, and this year is no exception. There's a maturity in their style that I'm very fond of. It feels subtle, and I can't explain it. But I like it. I enjoy their shows, though I rarely understand them. This year is no exception. Good stuff to watch and listen to.

Obligatory homer comment here: TROOP! Yes, I like the show, a LOT. The brass is gorgeous, the percussion book is very musical and well played, and the guard has improved greatly this year. But, as I always tell people when they ask me "will they move up this year?": the only thing we can control is our own show. What other corps do from year to year is the X factor. Can Troopers make top 12? Yes. Will they? I don't know, and I don't care. This show brings me the feels, and I love it. I'm particularly fond of the Corigliano section. It's my second favorite part of the show (the first being Fix You). Go Troop!!!!

Academy: WOW - now this will be a show to remember. Incredibly good story telling, high quality musical and visual performance, very good design - including excellent musical choices and arrangements, and they are selling it like crazy. It's one of those elusive home run shows where everything falls into place, and that every corps hopes to create.

Blue Knights: huh. Loved their 2014 and 2015 shows. This one isn't doing it for me. If I have to read a website and watch some kind of video or movie beforehand to get it, then the design is flawed. (in my opinion of course) As always they play and move well. This show just doesn't grab me. (again, just my opinion and taste)

Blue Stars: What a musically rich show! I don't care for the bed(s), or the weird lady in the gold dress. I just want them to play that music and make me drool. Very tasty percussion arranging, and the guard is, as is par for their course, outstanding.

Last, but absolutely not least: SCV. Such a beautiful show, musically speaking. The last time I enjoyed SCV this much was their recent Les Mis show, and before that their 2009 Appalachian Spring show.

Edited to add: someone else mentioned BK's pants color difference. I also feel like they look odd - to me they look like they are limping. Not sure if this affects perception of marching or not from a judging perspective.

A like isn't good enough for this post. Well said!πŸ‘πŸ‘