Timing Hornlines

Isn't most of that 1:20 the pre-show? Technically the show hasn't started yet

Pre-shows are a relatively new idea, and even after their conception only a handful of corps would do them each year. Honestly, I'm not sure it's for the best. Have Brandt Crocker finish announcing you, then start your show.

Ya had me until you said 'they just aren't playing, or moving while they are playing like they used to.'

That is do far off the rails that I can't take anything else you say seriously. I marched SCV in 1984. I teach now. I can assure you the members of today march and play way more often, and with much higher demand than we ever did. That includes the legendary Zingali drills (blasphemy, I know!)

Ah, see this is my issue. People are blind to reality. There is NO way corps are marching while playing like the did in the 80s and 90s. It's laughable that you would even suggest so. Do people seriously not pay attention when they watch these shows? Most of the time, when the playing gets tough, the tough stand still.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1

Pre-shows are a relatively new idea, and even after their conception only a handful of corps would do them each year. Honestly, I'm not sure it's for the best. Have Brandt Crocker finish announcing you, then start your show.

Of course you don't think it's for the best.

This has been talked about since Star '93 and we all know they won brass.

It is a misconception that '93 Star's hornline didn't play much. In reality, they had a very demanding and exposed book, and played for a large percentage of the show. What Star's brass showed in '93 was great musical dynamics, exposure, and that drum corps didn't have to blow you face off. They cranked up the volume when it was appropriate. It is one of the best brass books in DCI history, IMO. It took me a long time to appreciate this show, and I now consider it the greatest show ever, because the design from top to bottom was sheer perfection. Not one detail was overlooked, and the execution wasn't half bad either.

Edited by henry7184

Of course you don't think it's for the best.

Sorry for being actually familiar with drum crops shows pre-2010, and having the tendency to compare entertainment value across years and decades.

Sorry for being actually familiar with drum crops shows pre-2010, and having the tendency to compare entertainment value across years and decades.

I'm a relatively new DCI fan, but I'm familiar enough with shows "pre 2010." (The good old "I know more than you because I'm older"). Phantom 1996 and 1989 are two of my favorite shows ever. But keep on being your condescending self.

I seem to miss BK's show announcement every time. Pre-shows can be a good warm up vehicle for corps, and it gives the crowd something to watch and listen to while they wait for the show to begin. I don't think they are necessary, or for the best, but I don't mind them. I quite like SCV and BK's pre-shows this year.

Phantom 1996 and 1989 are two of my favorite shows ever. But keep on being your condescending self.

There are about 100 more fantastic shows where that came from that you're missing out on. I guess the downside is you'll no longer be as entertained by today's shows as you start noticing serious regressions in the maturity of design from the '90s to the '00s to the 2010s (with a handful of exceptions each year).

There are about 100 more fantastic shows where that came from that you're missing out on. I guess the downside is you'll no longer be as entertained by today's shows as you start noticing serious regressions in the maturity of design from the '90s to the '00s to the 2010s (with a handful of exceptions each year).

Agreed. Regiment '96 and '89 are two fantastic shows. Nothing today compares to those two shows on many levels. So many other elements used to try to detract from the fact that hornlines just aren't playing as much as they used to. When an overwhelming majority of a corps numbers are brass players, the brass should be utilized more then they are today. Dancing, prancing, doing body movements, and running around in scatter sets do not fool me. Tactics of distraction. Also, notice how it's the section that's not playing that's doing the demanding drill (in most cases) while the section that is playing is parked?

Edited by henry7184

Hey guess what? Believe it or not but a few years ago I owned fan network and watched a good majority of the shows from the 80s and 90s. It's fine to like both eras. You don't have to pick and choose and it hasn't decreased my appreciation for the modern era at all.

Again, you are assuming quite a bit just because I'm not as old as you. I'd advise you rethink that strategy.