Timing Hornlines

Maybe it's not so much how little brass lines play in modern drum corps but more of the brass being used for effect rather than a central focus of the performance. This is not a crack on the Bluecoats but the only thing I ever timed in their 2016 performance was how long it took from the first hand clap from when the percussion started to the first time a brass instrument is heard -- an appallingly long 1:20! I'm sorry but that's too long. The activity is called drum and bugle corps not choreography and drum machine corps.

Clearly, their approach is violating the trust and interests of the audience... as well as the activity...

I mean... nobody likes this show... don't they get it. I hope they wake up soon before they destroy the activity and the long-standing success of the organization. More than a minute of high impact field entertainment before buzzing lips in a 12 minute show is too long indeed. Ghah!

(Sarcasm mode off)

• Like 1

Clearly, their approach is violating the trust and interests of the audience... as well as the activity...

I mean... nobody likes this show... don't they get it. I hope they wake up soon before they destroy the activity and the long-standing success of the organization. More than a minute of high impact field entertainment before buzzing lips in a 12 minute show is too long indeed. Ghah!

(Sarcasm mode off)

You're funny - and I agree with your sarcasm. I freely admit the Bluecoats have a terrific production this season and they perform the snot out of it -- but I don't like the direction it's potentially taking the activity. It's a great show. I do get it, but I don't like it.

You're funny - and I agree with your sarcasm. I freely admit the Bluecoats have a terrific production this season and they perform the snot out of it -- but I don't like the direction it's potentially taking the activity. It's a great show. I do get it, but I don't like it.

I'm glad you took my comments light-heartedly... at a second glance, I wasn't sure that my comments would come off that way.

The most interesting thing about your gut reaction, however, is that on the opening night in Lucas Oil Stadium, Steve Rondinaro commented that in spite of the progressive appearance of the Bluecoats program, it SOUNDS remarkably like an old school traditionalist drumcorps show (Latin flavored, jazzy meat and potatoes kind of stuff). That's an observable assertion that makes your comments all the more ironic.

To alleviate your concerns... I don't believe that this show is going to change the activity in a significant way for the better or worse. They are just getting payment for a bunch of good risks that aren't likely to function as trend setters.

Edited by cfirwin3

I'm glad you took my comments light-heartedly... at a second glance, I wasn't sure that my comments would come off that way.

The most interesting thing about your gut reaction, however, is that on the opening night in Lucas Oil Stadium, Steve Rondinaro commented that in spite of the progressive appearance of the Bluecoats program, it SOUNDS remarkably like an old school traditionalist drumcorps show (Latin flavored, jazzy meat and potatoes kind of stuff). That's an observable assertion that makes your comments all the more ironic.

To alleviate your concerns... I don't believe that this show is going to change the activity in a significant way for the better or worse. They are just getting payment for a bunch of good risks that aren't likely to function as trend setters.

The Bluecoats' music is great and it IS old school sounding. There's not enough of it but what bothers me is the WGI-esque visuals. Don't ever worry about being sarcastic or critical around me. I have skin as thick as battleship armor and I can take it.

• Like 1

:cool:

Edited by Poppycock

The Bluecoats' music is great and it IS old school sounding. There's not enough of it but what bothers me is the WGI-esque visuals. Don't ever worry about being sarcastic or critical around me. I have skin as thick as battleship armor and I can take it.

I don't think that we should ever be concerned with good shows... meaning, shows that may be different, but are widely received, applauded and appreciated.

The concerns ought be more with those shows that are not well received yet seem to be scoring well and motivating others to follow suit. This has happened before in the past (perhaps)... but that occurrence is far, far more rare than most die hard fans think. The results of those kinds of productions have also had a negligible effect in the activity going forward.

Anywho... I choose not to be afraid of influential sources (like WGI) if it manages to make for a great show.

Keep in mind that there would be no WGI without DCI... so who has influenced whom the greatest in the end?

It's like being appalled that a parent managed to learn something new from their kid.

Edited by cfirwin3

I'm a relatively new DCI fan, but I'm familiar enough with shows "pre 2010." (The good old "I know more than you because I'm older"). Phantom 1996 and 1989 are two of my favorite shows ever. But keep on being your condescending self.

I know you're familiar with some of the older shows, but honestly Phantom 1996 and 1989 are shows that everyone should know about. There are so many MORE shows that are great as well that get no love today. I personally love PR '86 - '88 more than Phantom '89. Those are the shows that built up to '89, and they're really good too.

There's more to DCI history than just the top 2 shows each year. Much of history is now lost due to shows not being available for sale anymore and the loss of fan network. ...and the "I know more than you because I'm older" is correct more often than not. Someone with more life experience has seen more than someone with less life experience. They've already been through things. Of course, the younger people may be much less jaded because of this. Also, it's possible for younger people to know more "stuff" about "things" too. I could go on and on about that, but that's not the point. Let's just say that I know you've done your homework on DCI's past. Just thought I'd add my 2 centavos.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 2

I know you're familiar with some of the older shows, but honestly Phantom 1996 and 1989 are shows that everyone should know about. There are so many MORE shows that are great as well that get no love today. I personally love PR '86 - '88 more than Phantom '89. Those are the shows that built up to '89, and they're really good too.

There's more to DCI history than just the top 2 shows each year. Much of history is now lost due to shows not being available for sale anymore and the loss of fan network. ...and the "I know more than you because I'm older" is correct more often than not. Someone with more life experience has seen more than someone with less life experience. They've already been through things. Of course, the younger people may much less jaded because of this. Also, it's possible for younger people to know more "stuff" about "things" too. I could go on and on about that, but that's not the point. Let's just say that I know you've done your homework on DCI's past. Just thought I'd add my 2 centavos.

Yeah of course, maybe listing a top 2 corps from the 80's was a bad example.

idk if anyone cares, but this seems like a good a place as any to say it, but I've now listened to every DCI finalist show ever! That doesn't mean much by itself, but I'm proud of it. :)

• Like 3

idk if anyone cares, but this seems like a good a place as any to say it, but I've now listened to every DCI finalist show ever! That doesn't mean much by itself, but I'm proud of it. :)

Wow... binge listening to DCI.

You probably need to go listen to some piano sonatas or something to get the ear bleeding to stop! 😉

You've certainly done something that I've never done.

One word of advice... don't love it too much. 😉

• Like 1