Timing Hornlines

I'm a relatively new DCI fan, but I'm familiar enough with shows "pre 2010." (The good old "I know more than you because I'm older"). Phantom 1996 and 1989 are two of my favorite shows ever. But keep on being your condescending self.

Well, I hope you have made, or will make time, for 1987. Great great year. SCV '87 is, along with '93 Star, my favorite show in history.

• Like 2

Again, you are assuming quite a bit just because I'm not as old as you. I'd advise you rethink that strategy.

I assume we're both in our 20s, so I don't think that's what's happening here.

Hey guess what? Believe it or not but a few years ago I owned fan network and watched a good majority of the shows from the 80s and 90s. It's fine to like both eras. You don't have to pick and choose and it hasn't decreased my appreciation for the modern era at all.

Again, you are assuming quite a bit just because I'm not as old as you. I'd advise you rethink that strategy.

I get where you are coming from. It's really a shame you didn't get a chance to see some of these shows live. It was all so exciting back then. Corps moved around in placements a lot more than today. Regiment 10th in '86 and 3rd in '87 (semifinals). At the start of the season, you only knew BD, Cadets and SCV were going to be in the top 5. Everyone else moved around. Corps would win early season and get passed up. I remember being stunned in '86 when word got around that Star beat Garfield. Garfield ended up 4th, Star 8th. Madison placing 4th at DCM Finals in '88 and winning Finals. Regiment 4th in quarters in '96 and tying for 1st in finals. SOA beating Garfield by 2.5 in June in '87, with Garfield winning finals and Spirit in 10th. It was just so exciting because you never knew what was going to happen.

Edited by henry7184

Well, I hope you have made, or will make time, for 1987. Great great year. SCV '87 is, along with '93 Star, my favorite show in history.

I have :smile:. I've admittedly not listened to much before 1984 though. I tried to watch shows from the 70s and couldn't really find too much enjoyment from it. The 90s were a golden era for drum corps in my opinion and I think we're in a different type of golden era now

• Like 3

I assume we're both in our 20s, so I don't think that's what's happening here.

Then I'm honestly not sure what has given you the impression that I'm unfamiliar with the shows from the 80s and 90s, but I assure you that isn't true.

I have :smile:. I've admittedly not listened to much before 1984 though. I tried to watch shows from the 70s and couldn't really find too much enjoyment from it. The 90s were a golden era for drum corps in my opinion and I think we're in a different type of golden era now

Me too. I've never really been able to get into 70s shows. '82 and '83 are great though. '82 was the first time Garfield made top 3. Their '83 show was amazing. SCV's '83 show was stunningly beautiful. I haven't been able do do pre-'82 though. I think drum corps evolved the most, and fastest between '80 and '84.

I get where you are coming from. It's really a shame you didn't get a chance to see some of these shows live. It was all so exciting back then. Corps moved around in placements a lot more than today. Regiment 10th in '86 and 3rd in '87 (semifinals). At the start of the season, you only knew BD, Cadets and SCV were going to be in the top 5. Everyone else moved around. Corps would win early season and get passed up. I remember being stunned in '86 when word got around that Star beat Garfield. Garfield ended up 4th, Star 8th. Madison placing 4th at DCM Finals in '88 and winning Finals. Regiment 4th in quarters in '96 and tying for 1st in finals. SOA beating Garfield by 2.5 in June, with Garfield winning finals and Spirit in 10th. It was just so exciting because you never knew what was going to happen.

Honestly how important is all of that though? We get caught up in placements all the time during the season, but once it's over, it's the entertaining value of the show that is much more important to me, not its placement.

I'm finding myself going back and relistening to more and more shows from each year since 2014 than from the mid 2000's, 90's, etc. Again, that's personal preference much like you prefer the shows from the 80s and 90s

Honestly how important is all of that though? We get caught up in placements all the time during the season, but once it's over, it's the entertaining value of the show that is much more important to me, not its placement.

I'm finding myself going back and relistening to more and more shows from each year since 2014 than from the mid 2000's, 90's, etc. Again, that's personal preference much like you prefer the shows from the 80s and 90s

It's not important, it was just a lot of fun. At the start of the season in the Midwest, you never knew who was going to start out on top between Madison, Regiment, Cavies and Star. Then at Whitewater in '88, Bluecoats beat Regiment, Star and Cavies for 2nd. It was a lot more exciting back that re: placements. I think most of us could predict the outcome of finals today, getting more placements right than wrong. Wasn't always the case back then. Look at the semi's scores for 6th to 11th place in '87. Crazy.

It dose not matter it is all Bando midwest. The only difference is BC Thanks for doing something different and BAC for continuing to push things forward over the past several years.

Maybe it's not so much how little brass lines play in modern drum corps but more of the brass being used for effect rather than a central focus of the performance. This is not a crack on the Bluecoats but the only thing I ever timed in their 2016 performance was how long it took from the first hand clap from when the percussion started to the first time a brass instrument is heard -- an appallingly long 1:20! I'm sorry but that's too long. The activity is called drum and bugle corps not choreography and drum machine corps.

I'd counter this with "good things take time." The effect Bloo is pulling off is incredible and has audiences loving every second of it. But I get that some will not like it. No problem. Totally your right. But as someone else said, they make up for not using their brass earlier in the show with how they are used later. They have a killer mid 1990s Madison Scout-like brass book with tons of solos. It rocks and swings hard!

Something that I think we can all agree on is this: when amplification and electronics were approved, the time was going to come where more colors and melodic content was going to come from the pit, and that was going to affect how long other components of the corps were used (battery and brass).

Today's pit can achieve an unlimited number of textures, colors, and instrumental sounds. Doing so effectively and in good balance with the entire show hasn't always been perfect with a lot of corps, even the best. But many are getting better at this technique and we are seeing some fabulous shows. We still also see some duds and we hear some horrid balance and sound problems from groups that still need to learn how to use the technology.

• Like 1