DCI Eastern Classic - Friday Aug 5 2016

I don't mind mic'ed soloists... But for Bloo this year it feels like the soloists hold back and go for the more relaxed and balanced sound rather than exerting themselves, since they're mic'ed. It's too polite. I wanna feel like the veins in the soloists' foreheads are gonna burst, not like they're holding back.

Man, you are watching (hearing) a different show than I am. Those trumpets are SCREAMING and the crowd live can hear it and they RESPOND to it. I think the screamers are a BIG part of why 'Coats are winning music.

• Like 2

I do the exact same pre-show procedure as you. I have dual monitors so the live feed in on the main monitor and DCPlanets is in its own separate window on the secondary monitor, both run full-screen.

If ANYBODY gets a clean feed, then the problem is not from the source. It's hard to tell where the buffering or freeze is coming from, but I know it drives me NUTS when it happens!

Ditto. I've got a 27" monitor on a raised stand showing the video and a smaller monitor beside it for you guys. My wife thinks I'm nuts. That's about right. :tounge2:

• Like 1

My wife has been "subjected" to drum corps a bit in the 20 years we've been together, so I used her as a test subject this evening. She's been to one show over a decade ago and it was too loud for her anywhere in the stands. I had her watch and listen to the ending of Academy. Her initial impression: "Where am I supposed to look? There's too much going on all over the place to see anything." She essentially couldn't even rate the music because she spent so much energy trying to focus on something to watch. I hope this is not the same way other casual fans see the modern show designs.

Did you show her the Bluecoats? Haha

Weekend-only schedule, limited travel distance.

Right. But is there a philosophy behind making C2 what it is rather than going the open class route with a feeder/junior corps in your organization?

Also...first circle...gush. I played that in high school and loved marching it.

They compete against all-age corps in DCA.

Right. But is there a philosophy behind making C2 what it is rather than going the open class route with a feeder/junior corps in your organization?

Gives alumni something to do for a few season? Keeps them close to the Cadets so they might eventually turn into donors?

• Like 1

Absolutely. It's a feeder corps that caters to kids that don't want to tour, at least not yet. It's just a different way to approach the problem.

• Like 1