New Kids on the Block (C2 and Erie)

Well couldn't go to Ro-cha-cha due to personal reasons so instead of making that long tailed drive home I starting checking last nights results. (Will admit I will NOT miss the disaster past Bucknell until 15 becomes a highway away. The bypass can't come too soon.)

So Cadets2 (still can't "get" that name") won Open and Thunderbirds worked their way to runners up. Forget when C2 started but say them for their first time at Rochester so 5-8 years? And Erie came back for the first time in 30 years just last year.

Was with Westshoremen when the corps came back from being inactive and worked our way up from last at Prelims to 5th in Finals in 7 seasons. Each year we improved and was there personally for the first 6 seasons. FYI the years were 1974-1980.

So how did C2 and Erie do it in the 2010s?

PS Erie FB page is a happy place today...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

That bypass isn't scheduled to be done above Shamikin Dam til 2020 and down to d til 2024

Well couldn't go to Ro-cha-cha due to personal reasons so instead of making that long tailed drive home I starting checking last nights results. (Will admit I will NOT miss the disaster past Bucknell until 15 becomes a highway away. The bypass can't come too soon.)

So Cadets2 (still can't "get" that name") won Open and Thunderbirds worked their way to runners up. Forget when C2 started but say them for their first time at Rochester so 5-8 years? And Erie came back for the first time in 30 years just last year.

Was with Westshoremen when the corps came back from being inactive and worked our way up from last at Prelims to 5th in Finals in 7 seasons. Each year we improved and was there personally for the first 6 seasons. FYI the years were 1974-1980.

So how did C2 and Erie do it in the 2010s?

PS Erie FB page is a happy place today...

The reason they are called "Cadets 2" is because they are the "Cadets corps" of the "Cadets" -- hence C2

Yeah I heard the reason for the name George but don't like the idea of them being called a Feeder corps.....

Ain't my corps I know but I still have the right of free speech to say yuck.... :tounge2:

• Like 1

Yeah I heard the reason for the name George but don't like the idea of them being called a Feeder corps.....

Ain't my corps I know but I still have the right of free speech to say yuck.... :tounge2:

Totallly agree. Yuck on :)

Cadets 2 isn't really a feed corps - in a traditional sense. A weekend-only version of the Cadets experience is what they consider themselves

Some do go on to march the Cadets - about 10 or 15 or so each of the past couple seasons. For most it's the chance to march without the same monetary and time commitment

• Like 1

The kicker is George that doing a Senior/All Age/DCA corps before doing a DCI corps has been going on for decades. LOL even know a few who did the Alumni type corps to get a taste of it. Ones I knew personally went to Buccs but have read of a few others. Of course with Cadets2/Cadets it's the same organization which would make things smoother.

Oh yeah Congrats to both Cadets2 and Erie.... hope to get the time to check out the FB vids by the weekend.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

The kicker is George that doing a Senior/All Age/DCA corps before doing a DCI corps has been going on for decades. LOL even know a few who did the Alumni type corps to get a taste of it. Ones I knew personally went to Buccs but have read of a few others. Of course with Cadets2/Cadets it's the same organization which would make things smoother.

Oh yeah Congrats to both Cadets2 and Erie.... hope to get the time to check out the FB vids by the weekend.....

Hell Jim we were a feeder corps. How many from your era and mine went on to march Crossmen, cadets, Boston, BD, and later add in Bluecoats?

• Like 2

Hell Jim we were a feeder corps. How many from your era and mine went on to march Crossmen, cadets, Boston, BD, and later add in Bluecoats?

Very true. Some of the open class corps in the West could be called "feeders" as well

I prefer the term "developers" :)

the advantage is the C2 kids learn Cadets foot technique, rehearsal style and some of the staff. Beneficial for sure.

Totallly agree. Yuck on :)

Cadets 2 isn't really a feed corps - in a traditional sense. A weekend-only version of the Cadets experience is what they consider themselves

Some do go on to march the Cadets - about 10 or 15 or so each of the past couple seasons. For most it's the chance to march without the same monetary and time commitment

They've got a few other caveats to being a member as well. It'd be great if they let people of ALL-AGES in the corps, but they don't.

It's Hoppy's corps, he can do what he wants, but having an age limit in an ALL-AGE class seems wrong. I understand it's part of the YEA stuff, but still, all age is just that... all age.

Ok, I'm not gonna get too involved in that argument again.

As for Erie, those in charge have worked their butts off over the last decade to finally return to the field last year. They've had a lot of help along the way (I was one of 3 that got a call the day before the Reading home show in 2015 that they needed someone to fill a hole on the field, needless to say, I was on the field learning 83 sets of drill and performing in competition for the first time since 2000). Gary M. has been nothing short of phenomenal, along with Sean and the rest of the staff. They have a bright future ahead of them and I wish all the corps nothing but the best going forward.

Edited by ErieSopMike