The Academy's soloist

10 minutes ago, rr4353 said:

No. I'm talking about instances related to specific members. I love talking about corps as a whole! But to me, it gets a tad creepy when we talk about kids (some of whom are still under 18, and are minors) like commodities. That's all I meant.

rr, Sorry I started this thread and violated your safe space. :whistle:

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, rr4353 said:

No. I'm talking about instances related to specific members. I love talking about corps as a whole! But to me, it gets a tad creepy when we talk about kids (some of whom are still under 18, and are minors) like commodities. That's all I meant.

I didn't notice anyone on here treating the Academy soloist who has apparently decided to march BD this summer.. " as a commodity ". The posts here so far seem respectful of him... even as some speculate as to his reasons why he has decided to transfer. BD gets experienced, talented transfers each and every season from the lower placing Corps. BD has for decades. it helps them maintain their envious placement position at the top ( or near the top ) of the totem pole for over 40 years now. So there is no reason to single out this talented marcher from a lower placing Corps, as such talented pilgimmages to Mars takes place like clockwork each offseaason like this.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, rr4353 said:

Lol. Call it a safe space if you want, I just would caution against crossing a line - if the member is younger than 18, why do we need to talk about their private lives and motivations and reasons for making their every move? For example, Brandon Olander and Anna Eberhart. I'm just saying privacy should be respected, beyond the stuff that the general public knows about them.

How would you feel if you were them? People talking about you incessantly, speculating about private information and things you wouldn't yourself share to the world? Not that this forum has much bearing on the current corps members since they're warned to stay away from this site, but it just comes across as creepy once we pass a certain point.

Talking about college football targets and prospects is one thing, talking about drum corps members is another. It's just band!

Wait..what?  WTH?  Hold on...I have to go refill my drink.  I can't believe what I just read...

4 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I didn't notice anyone on here treating the Academy soloist who has apparently decided to march BD this summer.. " as a commodity ". The posts here so far seem respectful of him... even as some speculate as to his reasons why he has decided to transfer. BD gets experienced, talented transfers each and every season from the lower placing Corps. BD has for decades. it helps them maintain their envious placement position at the top ( or near the top ) of the totem pole for over 40 years now. So there is no reason to single out this talented marcher from a lower placing Corps, as such talentede pilgimmages to Mars takes place like clockwork each offseaason like this.

Honest to God, I have no idea what you people are talking about.  this post started out great - I read the first sentence the moved on.  But, when I came back...so many comments.  Simply:  BD is not the only corps that has kids who want to move to it.  EVERY CORPS - even below the top 12 - has members who move from other corps.  Typically, it's about half of the corps is vet and half is rookies.

"Their envious placement..."?  I know you know they're not alone close to the top.  There's over 1000 positions available in those "envious" positions and many kids decide to stay at corps # 17, 18, 19 for any number of reasons.

But that is not at all what this string of the thread is about...

I'm baffled...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, garfield said:

Honest to God, I have no idea what you people are talking about.  this post started out great - I read the first sentence the moved on.  But, when I came back...so many comments.  Simply:  BD is not the only corps that has kids who want to move to it.  EVERY CORPS - even below the top 12 - has members who move from other corps.  Typically, it's about half of the corps is vet and half is rookies.

"Their envious placement..."?  I know you know they're not alone close to the top.  There's over 1000 positions available in those "envious" positions and many kids decide to stay at corps # 17, 18, 19 for any number of reasons.

But that is not at all what this string of the thread is about...

I'm baffled...

was your 'refill my drink' comment in reference to BRASSO or to rr4353?

13 minutes ago, rr4353 said:

Lol. Call it a safe space if you want, I just would caution against crossing a line - if the member is younger than 18, why do we need to talk about their private lives and motivations and reasons for making their every move? For example, Brandon Olander and Anna Eberhart. I'm just saying privacy should be respected, beyond the stuff that the general public knows about them.

How would you feel if you were them? People talking about you incessantly, speculating about private information and things you wouldn't yourself share to the world? Not that this forum has much bearing on the current corps members since they're warned to stay away from this site, but it just comes across as creepy once we pass a certain point.

Talking about college football targets and prospects is one thing, talking about drum corps members is another. It's just band!

4 minutes ago, rr4353 said:

I fail to see how this is worthy of incredulousness.

Wait, really?  OK, so let's start...

"Crossing" exactly WHAT "line"?  There are thousands of kids in this activity younger than 18; just what, exactly, are you insinuating that we are discussing here? We're speculating about their motivations, not envisioning them in tight spandex.

Brandon Olander?  Are you kidding?  Don't start... the _kid and I have been following him since he showed up in BD's practice line in 2010.  We've been speculating about his decision process ever since we saw him march Academy.  Respect their (his) privacy?  I've never invaded it, and how, exactly, is it possible for me to invade it here?

This is not the "general public".  This is a drum corps forum.

How would I feel?  Like a freakin' ROCK STAR that he is!  Are you kidding?  How would I feel if much of the current drum corps activity knew about me, and my history, and my experience, and my goals, and my trials and tribulations, about my scoliosis...  How would I feel?  Like the freakin' rock star that I am in the band world, that's how.

What "creepy" point are you suggesting we've passed?  I'd like you to PM me just who in the heII you think you are that you feel so comfortable insinuating motivations of people with whom you have NO history what-so-ever.

I'd ask that you use caution in the insinuations you make here, and that you'd grant the benefit of the doubt that most of us old posters here are very much aware that this stupid activity "is just band".  

I believe my incredulous response to be well-justified.

10 minutes ago, jackroberts said:

was your 'refill my drink' comment in reference to BRASSO or to rr4353?

Who said it couldn't be a double?

• Like 1