The Academy's soloist

I'm curious can anyone shed light on why percussionists would go from Bluecoats to BD? It seems like at either corp you're at the top of the totem pole in regards to general competition and percussion competition. I guess BD is more likely to win but I wouldn't believe all the people leaving for BD would be ring chasers. Is there any reason specifically percussionists would go to BD? Good teacher, better percussion writing etc?

22 minutes ago, jimthetuba said:

I'm curious can anyone shed light on why percussionists would go from Bluecoats to BD? It seems like at either corp you're at the top of the totem pole in regards to general competition and percussion competition. I guess BD is more likely to win but I wouldn't believe all the people leaving for BD would be ring chasers. Is there any reason specifically percussionists would go to BD? Good teacher, better percussion writing etc?

Hey jimthetuba, have you ever heard of ScoJo?

Well, that's one reason.

10 hours ago, Musicman1084 said:

The 2015 Coats line with only one vet, right? Yeah, they were solid but mostly as you said because they pulled in folks from Crown, PR, Boston, etc.  Most other lines wouldn't be that great with only one vet returning.  Three members alone from the 2014 Coats snareline are currently on BD's snareline and I'm sure one or two others from this year's have tried out.

Well...one of those 2014 snares to went to BD last year was BDB originally.

In 84, BD's 10 man snare line only had 3-4 returning...the rest had aged out...yet still won drums,

As I recall, the "rookies" cane from SCV, Troopers, VK, Xmen (our center snare, in fact), & 27th (pair of brothers there)