A new way to experience Drum Corps

9 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

The journey is the best part for me......

So good luck with that.  

The evolution is by far the most interesting aspect.    What do they have planned? How do they respond to that placement?  Can they really get that clean? Even -- what the heck is that show about?  All fun to watch.  In some respects the end product is far less interesting than that first show.  

9 minutes ago, corpsband said:

The evolution is by far the most interesting aspect.    What do they have planned? How do they respond to that placement?  Can they really get that clean? Even -- what the heck is that show about?  All fun to watch.  In some respects the end product is far less interesting than that first show.  

...and for some shows you still dont understand them by the end of the season *cough* Blue Knights *cough* Blue Devils *cough*

• Like 1

In this medium, it's rare I enjoy a show the first time I see it. I usually have to know what I'm about to watch to really appreciate it. But that's just me, everyone has their own method. I'm curious how this works out for you.

• Like 1

In an older thread, back in late November I think, I commented about seeing Bluecoats on BluRay and thinking both movements and music seemed sloppy to me. Someone responded - I apologize I'm not going to take the time to look it up - that some shows are meant to be watched just once. I didn't agree, but didn't feel the need to dispute the opinion.

Big thing for me is seeing shows multiple times. It's fun. Makes me feel good to see how hard the corps work to evolve, change, improve.

Is it a thing for some fans (or professionals) to think of shows as being best when seen only once?

1 hour ago, BoaDci said:

...and for some shows you still dont understand them by the end of the season *cough* Blue Knights *cough* Blue Devils *cough*

The best themed BD show , imo, was the year ( 2008) that BD did the show theme..." Constantly Risking Absurdity ".

I mean seriously.. think about that theme for a moment. How can a top tier, DCI Corps go wrong on it, themewise ? Really.

I would imagine a GE judge looking at the theme holistically as its performed ( minus its performers execution of it ), and thinking... " You know, this really was an absurd show, and they risked a lot by doing it "... and there was constant absurdity displayed pretty much throughout the show.  I think then I'll score this show rather well tonite then, as they did attain the theme's goal in the end.  Besides, it wasn't as coherent as the other Corps show themes were, but I like things that are filled with absurdity " ( BD finished runners up in 2008. This was pure genius on display re. their theme planning for that season, imo. )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

The best themed BD show , imo, was the year ( 2008) that BD did the show theme..." Constantly Risking Absurdity ".

I mean seriously.. think about that theme for a moment. How can a top tier, DCI Corps go wrong on it, themewise ? Really.

I would imagine a GE judge looking at the theme holistically as its performed ( minus its performers execution of it ), and thinking... " You know, this really was an absurd show, and they risked a lot by doing it "... and there was constant absurdity displayed pretty much throughout the show.  I think then I'll score this show rather well tonite then, as they did attain the theme's goal in the end.  Besides, it wasn't as coherent as the other Corps show themes were, but I like things that are filled with absurdity " ( BD finished runners up in 2008. This was pure genius on display re. their theme planning for that season, imo. )

That BD show was one of my favorites, Phantom just had a better run that night.

5 hours ago, BoaDci said:

Is this something that people try often?

Yeah.   And I also waited until my marriage to have sex.   And until I was 21 to have a drink.   And until I was 65 to listen to Mahler's 9th Symphony.

5 hours ago, xandandl said:

Your viewing of only the final product (pun) might work for you in assessing design and designers.

I prefer seeing first and last efforts so as to appreciate the hard work and time the MMs have put toward making the designers and faculty look so good.

That has been my last two summers, regarding the DCI corps.

Didn't get to any shows in person... saw the Tour Preview in June and the prelims show in August at the movie theater. (And in 2016, the Saturday night of DCI East on the Fan Network, at a friend's house.) Absolutely amazing at what those corps accomplish in 6-7 weeks or so. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eleran said:

Yeah.   And I also waited until my marriage to have sex.   And until I was 21 to have a drink.   And until I was 65 to listen to Mahler's 9th Symphony.

And since you are going personal on this.... may we also ask you which of the 3 did you enjoyed the most ?  ( .. haha)

Edited by BRASSO

5 hours ago, BoaDci said:

I'd say that about Blue Knights, but I think BD conveys their themes exceptionally well.

As for not watching until championships, I couldn't do it.id never be able to give up following through the season.