Heard there was a rumor in dispute and you needed proof

what part of a member "upholding their end of a bargain" don't people understand?

they defaulted on the terms of the scholarship contract and owe money

the reason this is part of DCI member terms to avoid members doing exactly what this member did - bail on one corps leaving them stuck with a bill and then marching debt-free with the next corps in their target

the individual organizations have to be protected

as far as the scholarship portion - I'm sure a partial scholarship is awarded based on timely fulfillment of other financial responsibilities which this member did not do - and yes, of course that's stated in the contract

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

It's DCI's policy.

apples and oranges

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Although I am not a fan of this specific term of the scholarship contract, it certainly appears that it was a known term to the MM and parents when they signed it. This looks to me like a case of "buyer beware." CC gave the scholarship in good faith with this agreed upon condition.  It is impossible for me to fault them for enforcing their rights. Again I am not a fan of the condition, but without actually seeing it, I will give CC the benefit of a he doubt that this was indeed in the contract.

exactly!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

actually it's apples to apples

I respectfully disagree.

Just now, Liahona said:

I respectfully disagree.

ok - why so? Scholarships are almost always contingent upon certain things. One of the purposes of this "reduced tuition" contract is to encourage a member to march with the corps awarding it in future seasons - encourage retention. Crown is just following the terms of the agreement and protecting its own interest. If they fail to hold members responsible in this manner then the benefit of such agreements is diluted and the organization is damaged

27 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

ok - why so? Scholarships are almost always contingent upon certain things. One of the purposes of this "reduced tuition" contract is to encourage a member to march with the corps awarding it in future seasons - encourage retention. Crown is just following the terms of the agreement and protecting its own interest. If they fail to hold members responsible in this manner then the benefit of such agreements is diluted and the organization is damaged

24 minutes ago, garfield said:

No, seriously.  You're a rational person, supposedly.  Why do you feel it's apples and oranges?  I'm truly curious.

I completely understand and agree with DCI's policy that members should be obligated to make sure their debts are paid in full with the corps they marched in a previous season before being able to march with another corps (pretty much the the gist or to paraphrase it).

Where I split off of that reasoning and do not see a comparison is specifically concerning scholarships. Expecting a scholarship to carry-over secondary or tertiary or more years is just unreasonable when that member faithfully performed a service so to speak for that organization for the season in which the scholarship was granted. When kids are paying to participate having a condition that requires post-completion as I've said previously seems pretty punitive IMO.

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Liahona said:

I completely understand and agree with DCI's policy that members should be obligated to make sure their debts are paid in full with the corps they marched in a previous season before being able to march with another corps (pretty much the the gist or to paraphrase it).

Where I split off of that reasoning and do not see a comparison is specifically concerning scholarships. Expecting a scholarship to carry-over secondary or tertiary or more years is just unreasonable when that member faithfully performed a service so to speak for that organization for the season in which the scholarship was granted. When kids are paying to participate having a condition that requires post-completion as I've said previously seems pretty punitive IMO.

it's in the terms of the scholarship agreement - as stated in the email (and apparently attached to the email)

the rational is to help avoid migration and improve member retention - part of the benefit of the (in this case partial) scholarship is to 1. improve member retention 2. lock int he member for the current season allowing them to march at a reduced tuition effectively

• Like 3