Cone of silence

33 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

So please back off demanding and defending your "right to know". 

Not a single poster here on DCP  has claimed, nor demanded, that they have " a right to know ". So we can dismiss that consideration for any further discussion right off the bat it would seem to me.

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

Although many corps have a preseason event for fans, families and alumni; the same eager fans, if they are so demanding to be in the know about a program, can help at winter camp.

I think this already occurs...just not as much said publicly...more behind the scenes chatter with the occasional loose lip...

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

So much wringing of hands surrounding this topic.  So many posters demanding to hear something, anything.  What I sense from so many people is "good god please send me some small tidbit of this years program.  I want so much to offer my expert opinion on the music and see if it is something I can get behind this year." 

I think demanding may be a bit strong...I even poorly used that word in my post and didn't really see anyone actually saying demanding...honestly I think the greatest majority of folks are on the fence...That said...I don't think it will make ANY difference one way or another...that is IF you don't wish to GROW your fan-base...just because these archaic strategies worked in the past...doesn't necessarily mean that they will continue to work in the future...Just ask yourself this...what happened to that cash-cow bingo in most cases?...

2 minutes ago, Liahona said:

I think demanding may be a bit strong...I even poorly used that word in my post and didn't really see anyone actually saying demanding...honestly I think the greatest majority of folks are on the fence...That said...I don't think it will make ANY difference one way or another...that is IF you don't wish to GROW your fan-base...just because these archaic strategies worked in the past...doesn't necessarily mean that they will continue to work in the future...Just ask yourself this...what happened to that cash-cow bingo in most cases?...

Hi Lia,

Do you really think any fan base is effected by whether they put out info or not? If it doesn't make any difference one way or another why not respect cops for reasons they choose not to do this or for that matter respect corps that do ( maybe free of critiques before it's even seen ) hmmmmm..just askin

Maybe commercials like on tv or the internet with a slight teaser should be considered for some corps...but I do mean a teaser not a plan book of info..lol

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Hi Lia,

Do you really think any fan base is effected by whether they put out info or not? If it doesn't make any difference one way or another why not respect cops for reasons they choose not to do this or for that matter respect corps that do ( maybe free of critiques before it's even seen ) hmmmmm..just askin

Maybe commercials like on tv or the internet with a slight teaser should be considered for some corps...but I do mean a teaser not a plan book of info..lol

I probably know more than most here in the area of audience/fan engagement (professional background)...I DO think it makes a difference to engage fans on a regular basis...I DO think that mere announcements are not enough...that said...there haven't been any real studies to prove my inclination in our marching arts world...although there have been several studies done in other fields where fan base is studied which support my supposition...I do recognize that our activity in the marching arts is unique...but human nature itself is not. 

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Liahona said:

I probably know more than most here in the area of audience/fan engagement...I DO think it makes a difference to engage fans on a regular basis...I DO think that mere announcements are not enough...that said...there haven't been any real studies to prove my inclination in our marching arts world...although there have been several studies done in other fields where fan base is studied which support my supposition...I do recognize that our activity in the marching arts is unique...but human nature itself is not. 

I dont know . I know for it it could never diminish a good product based on what they gave me in an off season BUT with that said I suppose for some it might. There could be ways to engage as you say without putting themselves out there to much. I do know though often the more you give the more people want BUT more important that want and sometimes , I repeat sometimes leads to demand or a sense of entitlement.

AS I said before , Im ok either way but totally get why corps do as well as don't do this, as well as the reasons for it.

8 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I dont know . I know for it it could never diminish a good product based on what they gave me in an off season BUT with that said I suppose for some it might. There could be ways to engage as you say without putting themselves out there to much. I do know though often the more you give the more people want BUT more important that want and sometimes , I repeat sometimes leads to demand or a sense of entitlement.

AS I said before , Im ok either way but totally get why corps do as well as don't do this, as well as the reasons for it.

I do get it as well...they must be worried about the criticism from the arm chair judges?...that really can be the only true reason...OR is it to hide what is going on from your competitors?...maybe

I remember when we first had the fan network ( now defunct)...corps were producing things during the winter time period...but when they realized they weren't benefiting monetarily form that effort the videos started to dry up...the videos were very sparse that last year IMO...

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Liahona said:

I do get it as well...they must be worried about the criticism from the arm chair judges?...that really can be the only true reason...OR is it to hide what is going on from your competitors?...maybe

I remember when we first had the fan network ( now defunct)...corps were producing things during the winter time period...but when they realized they weren't benefiting monetarily form that effort the videos started to dry up...the videos were very sparse that last year IMO...

I can tell you YES what you mentioned is very much some of the reasons. For those who will say, well it hasn't made a competitive difference and there's no proof it did Well is there proof it hasn't made a difference, at very least in the court of public opinion.

Edited by GUARDLING

1 minute ago, Liahona said:

I agree.   It's all about  "who are YOU to criticize me".   There are some outrageous egos in the activity who just don't want to hear it in the off-season.  AND their ego won't permit them to NOT read it :-)   So it feels better to pull down the ol' cone! 

There's not a real competitive advantage to keeping quiet.  The show works or it doesn't.  Really doesn't matter what someone online might write.

BD understand social media.  That's about it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, corpsband said:

I agree.   It's all about  "who are YOU to criticize me".   There are some outrageous egos in the activity who just don't want to hear it in the off-season.  AND their ego won't permit them to NOT read it :-)   So it feels better to pull down the ol' cone! 

There's not a real competitive advantage to keeping quiet.  The show works or it doesn't.  Really doesn't matter what someone online might write.

BD understand social media.  That's about it.

I would agree but , at least in some minds., How many corps who changed a plume color etc etc got torn to pieces before it was even seen. Is it worth it? Well I guess corps have that right to decide themselves.

Edited by GUARDLING