Creative or highly effective funding mechanisms

I make the comment often that drum corps folks, myself included, are more ridiculous in discussion than any other niche hobby. That said, this thread takes the cake. I was really excited to hear other people's funding ideas.

15 minutes ago, ouooga said:

I make the comment often that drum corps folks, myself included, are more ridiculous in discussion than any other niche hobby. That said, this thread takes the cake. I was really excited to hear other people's funding ideas.

Yep, me, too.

in my best McGuire voice: "Roth".

5 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Also missed point. It was an analogy that most people would understand.  Yeah right he was suggesting you rob banks as a fundraising opportunity.

Point was not missed.  Brasso stated that we need to go where the money is at using what could be considered a silly analogy, and also stated it is not that complicated to raise funds.  While the first statement is an obvious 'duh' like Garfield said, the second is far, far, far from accurate.  Raising funds, as in the millions of dollars it takes each year to run one qualitative and competitive corps within the non-profit realm is extremely convoluted, difficult, time consuming, etc....  there is no magic easy creative mechanism to generate the revenue.  Only hard, long, smart, complicated work, blood, sweat, etc... can garner that much capital.

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Brasso, it's not that I didn't like your posts, it's that you offer nothing in relation to the OP's question.  

Ok.. 'sorry to hear you came up empty on it.( ..lol!)  I'll try harder next time to please YOU with my comments on here.... ( lol!)

Edited by BRASSO

13 minutes ago, Stu said:

Point was not missed.  Brasso stated that we need to go where the money is at using what could be considered a silly analogy, and also stated it is not that complicated to raise funds. 

The Blue Devils don't think its all that overwhelming to raise the funds they need to support their three Corps the last 3 decades.. maybe they should've listened to YOU the " expert " these last 3-4  decades on how ( your words) "extremely convoluted " the process is for them to raise their funds for their THREE Corps...... lol!!

Edited by BRASSO

4 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Ok.. 'sorry to hear you came up empty on it.( ..lol!)  I'll try harder next time to please YOU with my comments on here.... ( lol!)

Not necessary...  oh, the heck with it. 

I learned my "Brasso lesson" long ago, or should have, I guess. (Lol!)

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

The Blue Devils don't think its all that difficult to raise the funds they need to support their three Corps the last 3 decades.. maybe they should listen to YOU on how " convoluted " the process is.. lol!!

Sure!  Just do what they do, right?

Because  all those drum corps that used to have bingo operation just shut them down early, right?

lol all right!

For an update, The Blue Devils organization and the Boston Crusaders organization have reportedly been exchanging ideas the last several months between one another on what has been working for them of late in fund raising efforts... in hopes that such shared info could potentially benefit both Corps in their future fund raising endeavors.. I shared some general thoughts on what successful organizations look like in their fund raising efforts in my comments above. If those thoughts of mine were considered worthless, or not germaine to this topic, that's ok by me, and that commentary can be completely discarded out of hand if anyone here on DCP so chooses. Do I sound like I care, one way or the other ? lol!!... carry on....

Edited by BRASSO

2 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

The Blue Devils don't think its all that difficult to raise the funds they need to support their three Corps the last 3 decades.. maybe they should've listened to YOU these last 3-4  decades on how ( your words) "extremely convoluted " the process is for them...... lol!!

Let's see.  The rules, regulations, laws, contracts, it takes to stay legal within the non-profit realm at that level revenue is not convoluted. The research, marketing, sales, etc... it takes to raise millions in revenue are not that time consuming.  The legal tip-toeing it takes to manufacture and sell instruments as a non-profit competing in the marketplace against for-profit instrument companies, as well as competing against other for-profit entertainment contractual agencies in the open market, is not that complicated.  Yep; I am sure that all of that is so easy, simple, and uncomplicated every corps in DCI can accomplish all of that with little to no paid expertise on staff and little to no internal/external resources.

A couple of DCP'ers on here would have us believe that " millions of dollars " are needed to participate as a unit in DCI... as if only the elite Corps in DCI exist. I guess we can assume either they never heard of the Soundsport approx. 50 groups, or they think little of them. In Open Class too, ( for example ) the Nashua Spartans have selected a model that works for them, and has for over half a century now. And they fund raise at considerably less than the small numbers of elites corps do. By CHOICE. And no, despite what a few DCP'ers on here might want us to believe, while hard, the process to raise their needed funds to operate their Corps the last half a century was not ( and is not ) an annual " extremely convoluted process "at all... lol! As for the smaller group of DCI elite Corps, nobody has put a gun to their heads to force any of them to raise the millions it takes to compete at that level. The cost to compete at THAT level was determined by them.. and them alone. They voted for all the expensive instruments, increased Corps sizes, staff sizes, increased travel, increased kitchen trucks, trailers,  large props and on and on and on. So sure.. the costs to run their mammoth Corps has increased exponentially the last few decades, and so the conventional means of raising funds becomes a more challenging enterprise for these few DCI Corps. But the vast overwhelming majority of the DCI/WGI, Soundsport units operate their fund raising in a manner that is traditional, conventional, efficient, and by no means a " extremely convoluted process " as a couple of misguided DCP'ers on here would have us all believe... lol!

Edited by BRASSO