Creative or highly effective funding mechanisms

2 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Is it your intent to pick a  fight?  Really? Is that that what YOU have to offer? Always being judgemental of other posters?   Demanding everyone appease your self-importance and self righteousness?  Are we to comment always with seriousness you approve of? How about YOU stop telling everyone else what to say and how to say it.  I for one am sick to death of you and I doubt I am alone.  You are consistent at least in acting like a condescending know it all.

What?  Pick a fight?  Are you kidding?  I've been trying to get you and others - BRASSO - to provide SOMETHING, ANYTHING of substance to the OP's question.  But the two of you want to quip, and demonstrate your wit, and cite silly history that has NO REFERENCE to the challenges of raising money in our activity.

This thread brought forth probably the single most important challenge to every music org ever, and the sum total of the brain trust of DCP is to quote (poorly) Willy Sutton, aspersions cast, chests puffed up like mating gorillas, pot shots thrown, and a challenge from some guy from the northeast with a bad attitude.  WHAT HAS A SINGLE POST OF YOURS DONE TO ANSWER THE OP'S QUESTION?  i'd like some demonstration of fundamental experience with the OP's challenge, and some modicum of a solution to supplement all of the "obvious, don't make it too complicated" options and is now looking for a more creative solution.  BINGO??!!  Brasso, are you kidding me?

You see, this subject is, likely the very same subject that will challenge, dog, and potentially cripple a lot of very well-meaning dreams in our activity.  I think it's owed far more than the level of discourse demonstrated here.  If the most-vocal of you had actually spent any time at all on the business end of running a drum corps, you would speak with reverence of this subject, not with wit and silly banter.  And don't preach to me about what DCP is or should be; I've been here longer.

I'm STILL WAITING for a single example of a creative or highly effective fundraising program, and I'm more and more convinced that very few on this thread have ACTUAL hands-on experience in addressing the OP's challenge.

The irony is that I happen to agree with much of what Brasso said regarding donor care.  But that was well beyond losing those acutely interested to the silliness of the Willy Sutton reference.  It's actually idiotic to believe the fundraising puzzle is as simple as a misquoted bank robber's analogy.

Here's a creative and successful solution:  Start a Soundsport team (Brasso, I'm pretty much aware).  On holidays like July 4th, send your SS team to a more relaxed parade and your OC/WC org to another parade.  If the parades pay, there's leverage from having a "part time performance" group like Soundsport.

That's not even a great one, but it's a HE11 of a lot more practical usable advice from experience than almost any else demonstrated here, and certainly factors-more than any solution brought forth by you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, steelchops said:

Hi All, I'm the OP......There have been many tangible, constructive and great ideas.  For example- explore relationships with those in the community with "deep pockets," how can we create "win-win" scenarios with them, and can this spur others to explore and improve upon? An example could be a private company owner has a National Sales Meeting...these things always start with excitement...what better way to open a meeting than a drum line in front of 500 fat old guys exuding cool?  In exchange for that, the company owner gives a donation.   I am hoping, for the benefit of those corps that don't have major cash flow streams that we can give creative fund raising ideas like that, which can benefit all...your creative thoughts are important because maybe a few haven't thought of them.....please keep thinking and pass on your ideas, even if untested...I know they are all appreciated!!

As someone who goes to many many many conventions, I just wanted to say that a lot of shows use high school drum lines/bands at show openings, and almost all of those would benefit from a higher quality of performance group.

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Bingo.. Could not have said it any better myself.. and yes, you are NOT alone in this perception either, imo. Notice too, that Garfield, ( &Stu) have not offered up for us a single solitary new novel idea for fundraising for us to consider. Instead, for 24 hours its been just a verbal blast of attack on others who have provided some general thoughts on what does tend to work for organizations in fund raising, and what attributes and characteristics that successful organizations tend to have. But THAT commentary input was considered " worthless " . It got so silly, that even a harmless joke was attacked ( lol!). So yes, Garfield ( and Stu ) have basically offered up a nothing sandwhich on this thread... no novel fund raising ideas from them. They come up totally empty on THAT. But that does not prevent them from telling posters that have made commentary on what success looks like in fund raising that their commentary was " worthless " ( to these 2 anyway.... lol!)

You missed my first one; I presented a second one just above.

Now what, pardner?  Time to show me YOUR pistol.

Heh.

Edited by garfield

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Bingo.. Could not have said it any better myself.. and yes, you are NOT alone in this perception either, imo. Notice too, that Garfield, ( &Stu) have not offered up for us a single solitary new novel idea for fundraising for us to consider. Instead, for 24 hours its been just a verbal blast of attack on others who have provided some general thoughts on what does tend to work for organizations in fund raising, and what attributes and characteristics that successful organizations tend to have. But THAT commentary input was considered " worthless " . It got so silly, that even a harmless joke was attacked ( lol!). So yes, Garfield ( and Stu ) have basically offered up a nothing sandwhich on this thread... no novel fund raising ideas from them. They come up totally empty on THAT. But that does not prevent them from telling posters that have made commentary on what success looks like in fund raising that their commentary was " worthless " ( to these 2 anyway.... lol!)

Wow.

OK.

Collaboration with the local home-schooling association dying to find ways to keep/get their kids active in music.

An almost ignored avenue of education and paying MM's.

What now, Cowboy?  Whatcha got?

How about this: collaboration with local city college for practice space then, if available, hosting an open class show in their stadium, splitting the proceeds.  Then offer to put the school's name on the trailer and drag it across country.

Particularly high-performing city colleges, like law schools, work extra hard at providing alternative activities to their students.  As a result, they listen closely to projects that bring those alternatives to their students.

Your shot, Mr. Wayne.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

How about this: collaboration with local city college for practice space then, if available, hosting an open class show in their stadium, splitting the proceeds.  Then offer to put the school's name on the trailer and drag it across country.

Particularly high-performing city colleges, like law schools, work extra hard at providing alternative activities to their students.  As a result, they listen closely to projects that bring those alternatives to their students.

Your shot, Mr. Wayne.

Ignoring the shots fired, sides of trailers being dragged across the country. This is a perfect example of a resource currently owned by drum corps that could be monetized, as we've seen in myriad other activities. Requires little additional resources to pull off. 

1 minute ago, garfield said:

Umm...lessee...low-hanging fruit...

How about hosting a golf outing?  That's, oh, $10,000 - $15,000 in proceeds if run well by an interested party like a board member who's a golfer.

I know PC does a golf tourny (is that different than an outing, I'm no golfer). Do other corps do this?

Here's a really interesting one depending upon the part of the country:

Guys who shoot expensive shotguns at little orange clays LOVE the opportunity to show off their guns and their shooting skills at a Sporting Clays outing.

Heck, I paid $500 to shoot 100 clays at a Ronald McDonald House charity shoot.  I saw my first $75,000 shotgun.

They don't count nickels with a $75,000 shotgun.