Western Corps Connection, Riverside, CA July 2, 2017

1 hour ago, Dream Theater said:

I have an issue with the amplification. Corps are using about 7 mics on the field so the sound also goes through to the speakers. I started picking up on it with SCV's show and BD's show as well. To me it just made things sound unnatural. If I wanted to hear a corps through a speaker I'd stay home. 

What did you guys think of that? 

I agree. They've gone a little overboard with all the mics.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OS2020 said:

Did BK have a rough run or did PR get better QUICK

Well PR has been in striking distance all season, so I am not surprised. BK needs to sort out their colorguard issues and quick - really hurting their visual scores.

• Like 1

This show is always fun because fans are SO CLOSE to the performers and the sound is amazing. One thing I am noticing more and more is that the field gets mic'd up so the horn line can/may sound louder - what???

Some opinions/observations:

I got to the stands when Phantom came on. Saw them at most of the CA performances. This was their best run (IMHO) by far. I still do not like the scattering of shakos. Liking the new uniforms and they sounded sharp tonight. Their guard seems huge in relation to other corps out there - and they were great as usual!

BK - they definitely seemed a bit off this night visually. Guard having problems with the props and timing. Their opening hit got a great reaction from the crowd and they are LOUD! I like that they finish their show on a loud "Ta-Da" note instead of the soft endings of the last few seasons. I hope they keep that! Their uniforms looked great on the field. Maybe their guard is paying the price at the moment for having the entire show on the field this early. Looking forward to seeing this show again later in the season! Their percussion is awesome and I am glad they are featured quite a bit in the show!

Vanguard - WOW!!!! I think they should have placed over BD. Their show is awesome and the way they work with the large props was great. They drill FAST and their sound never diminishes. Their uniforms look better close up than they did at a distance at the Rose Bowl. I still miss the classic Vanguard uniforms, but their presence on the field is still there! Bravo Vanguard - great show! They received a better crowd response than BD.

BD - great as usual. Soloists did a fantastic job...their sound so crisp. Love the way they use the trombones and their sound with that. My favorite musical selection is the Flight of the Bumblebee. They played it well (IMO) and the drilling with it was playful and fun. I think they used the "no skako" look the best. Started off with them and then lost them half way through with the uniform morph.

A great time in Riverside (and it wasn't scorching HOT!!!) The following day I was terribly sad to hear about Phantom Regiment's accident and continue to pray for all of them as well as the other corps that are traveling around the country this summer.

Looking forward to following all these corps on FloMarching and hopefully getting to Indy to see them at the conclusion of their season.

Edited by BassFanMom
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, BassFanMom said:

Vanguard - WOW!!!! I think they should have placed over BD. Their show is awesome and the way they work with the large props was great. They drill FAST and their sound never diminishes. Their uniforms look better close up than they did at a distance at the Rose Bowl. I still miss the classic Vanguard uniforms, but their presence on the field is still there! Bravo Vanguard - great show! They received a better crowd response than BD.

I did not attend the Riverside show but did attend the Clovis show.  As I recall, the Vanguard was the only corps to receive a standing O in the middle of their show.  For those of you that are familiar with the Central Valley of California, this truly is BD country.  So, to me for the Vanguard this speaks volumes.

• Like 1

West coast outstanding.

• Like 1