Good Job, FloMarching! - DCI Central Texas

1 hour ago, kckempf said:

Given the quality of the camera work, I hope you mean "stable" as a relative term.

These camera operators deserve better equipment and better training than they have apparently received.

I loved the close up of the backs of the legs of the pit (with which corps, I forget).  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Forevergreen said:

I loved the close up of the backs of the legs of the pit (with which corps, I forget).  

Makes slightly less sense than the Broken Arrow closeup of a guard member stooped on the sidelines to put down flag, pick up rifle.

• Like 1

It is comical to me that this thread is treating FloMarching like it is a growing child that needs encouragement along the way.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

It is comical to me that this thread is treating FloMarching like it is a growing child that needs encouragement along the way.

If they show me evidence that they're investing my money into improving the product, I can put up with growing pains.  It's not an ideal situation that a company with no background in broadcasting marching arts is the only choice we get, but if they're committed to a good product that's fine.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they're more interested in finding markets without competition and then maximizing profit -- what's been described as "rent seeking" in some more recent economics papers.  Since they're the only ones with the product and they've essentially spent all that they're going to spend on it (budgeting the season from the start), there's no impetus to improve.  If we collectively don't subscribe next year, they can just cancel the service, cut the staff, and be happy they got their money while they could.

1 minute ago, kckempf said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that they're more interested in finding markets without competition and then maximizing profit -- what's been described as "rent seeking" in some more recent economics papers.  Since they're the only ones with the product and they've essentially spent all that they're going to spend on it (budgeting the season from the start), there's no impetus to improve.  If we collectively don't subscribe next year, they can just cancel the service, cut the staff, and be happy they got their money while they could.

I could not agree more.  They saw an opportunity to corner the market and went for it.  DCI fell for it and - here we are.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

I could not agree more.  They saw an opportunity to corner the market and went for it.  DCI fell for it and - here we are.

I still suspect that DCI had a similar choice to ours: take the FloMarching deal or none at all.  If Tresona says these are the people you can stream through, there really isn't any way to say no.

12 hours ago, Brigadier80 said:

I am from Mass. Did anyone else have similar issues?

Yes.  This is what was sent to Jason at Customer Support for Flocasts.

"Hello,

Tonight's streaming still had too many pauses and refreshing of the link.. I had our internet provider come by today and they said "our capabilities are fine", we "have plenty of bandwidth", and we have enough juice. He said you folks might not be steaming enough bandwidth or the broadcast site is overloaded.At times the feed was fine, but no audio. I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. Fix the dam issues please."

"Hi XXXXXXX, would you mind providing us with the results of an internet speed test? I know your ISP said your internet is good, but this is just more information that we have to help improve your stream.
Thanks, 
Flo Support"

What I just sent him now.

Internet speed test
Megabits per second

Testing upload...

Mbps download

Mbps upload

Latency: 38 ms
Server: Los Angeles, CA

Your Internet speed is fast

Your Internet connection should be able to handle multiple devices streaming HD videos at the same time.

LEARN MORE
TEST AGAIN

William just replied to the speed test results.

"Thanks for providing that. Reviewing your account in our system, it appears that your automatic resolution settings kept adjusting during the show. When using Chrome going forward, could you try adjusting the resolution rate in the lower right corner, under the "HD" icon, and see if that helps?"

Hope I don't run out of darts!!
Edited by Ghost

It was much better last night. My beef about the volume dropping when the horns come in was noticeably improved. It still seemed to be there at some times, but others I thought I detected volume gradually increasing during the loud parts, like someone was manually adjusting it as they went.

Good sign. I think they did get the message from all the (deserved) uproar earlier in the week.