TV Bando Drumline thing

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

Great effort, but to me, after 45 years of DCI just accept that nothing outside of our little niche really changes all that much, even with multiple attempts over the years to bring the quality to the outside sources, so to me why even try with this guy.  Just smile, say that you cannot intrude on the corps during their sleeping hours; thank him for the interest, (and whatever you do just do not give him an axe). That is my 2 cents.

Maybe we're just old and cynical, Stu.

25 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Sometimes these local-tv stations share content across their morning and evening shows. Depending on your market (Columbus is a big one), the evening news shows sometimes have 30 minutes of hard local news, then the 30-minute network cast, followed by another 30-60 minute local newshow that goes softer: entertainment; cooking; lifestyle. If this station is set up that way, their morning crew might be able to put together a mix of recorded and live stuff for use in the morning and evening.

So the good-morning guy records the buses rolling in during the dark hours; the cameras tracks some of the sleepy MMs trudging into the gym and dropping on the floor; more footage of breakfast time and sleepy faces; and still more of the morning blocks, etc. Possible that some of that could be live. Basically, a chapterized approach to the day -- a day-in-the-life approach. That's the money phrase they will understand: Day in the Life. Good-morning guy can promote forward to the evening side where viewers who come back are promised a taste of the final product. Cross-promotion! Another magic word.

The evening newscast revisits some of the morning stuff first; then transitions to live shots in the lot/stadium . . . up-close looks at amazing licks and boss tosses, essentially completing the story of the day.

Selling points: it's a more complete story. It has a bit of drama (how did these kids do at the show?) It ties together two news properties -- the morning and evening newscasts. It captures actual performances, not just a kid or two banging on a random drum. (licensing is not a concern: legitimate news reporting is a safe harbor).

Bonus: Find the local kid in one of the performing corps. Sell him/her as the story line to the TV station.

This is exactly how I see it.  I have two corps arriving a day early (Sunday), made arrangements with them to do some video b-roll to run with live voice-over on Monday morning.  No good.  Not interested.  I laid out all the food trucks, volunteers, staff, directors, drivers, show directors...all of it for him to choose from (and I'd coordinate it all for him) and the only response to my two page descriptive email was "Well can we at least get some kids to bang of some drums and maybe do some stick tricks?"

The whole notion of drum AND BUGLE corps was lost on him.  Didn't even bring up the colorguard spinning things.  I see camera guy getting smacked in the head with a flag.

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

This is exactly how I see it.  I have two corps arriving a day early (Sunday), made arrangements with them to do some video b-roll to run with live voice-over on Monday morning.  No good.  Not interested.  I laid out all the food trucks, volunteers, staff, directors, drivers, show directors...all of it for him to choose from (and I'd coordinate it all for him) and the only response to my two page descriptive email was "Well can we at least get some kids to bang of some drums and maybe do some stick tricks?"

The whole notion of drum AND BUGLE corps was lost on him.  Didn't even bring up the colorguard spinning things.  I see camera guy getting smacked in the head with a flag.

Well...there's something positive anyway.  If you can get the reporter to toss a 7, and knowing what is then going to happen to his nose on camera, GO FOR IT!!!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, garfield said:

Maybe we're just old and cynical, Stu.

"Can't you just get some kids to bang on drums and maybe do some tricks or something!  Maybe let me beat on a drum, too?

This is not cynicism as much as it is just accepting the reality of the situation.  Try and separate yourself from being personally involved and really grasp a hold of this quote of his.  Do you think at 6:50am it would have a high chance of benefiting DCI, benefiting the corps, enlightening more in the community, and create an epiphany within the mind and soul of the reporter?  Or is there a probability that it might at some capacity embarrass DCI, tick off the corps percussion staff, have the community just go “Oh How Cute” while drinking their OJ, and the reporter walking away smiling that he just interviewed that delightful marching band?  Which do you think is more likely to happen?

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

"Can't you just get some kids to bang on drums and maybe do some tricks or something!  Maybe let me beat on a drum, too?

This is not cynicism as much as it is just accepting the reality of the situation.  Try and separate yourself from being personally involved and really grasp a hold of this quote of his.  Do you think at 6:50am it would have a high chance of benefiting DCI, benefiting the corps, enlightening more in the community, and create an epiphany within the mind and soul of the reporter?  Or is there a probability that it might at some capacity embarrass DCI, tick off the corps percussion staff, have the community just go “Oh How Cute” while drinking their OJ, and the reporter walking away smiling that he just interviewed that delightful marching band?  Which do you think is more likely to happen?

Well, there you go all making sense and stuff.  I, personally, think the latter is what's going to happen but, again, I don't want my age and cynicism to squelch a possible good gig.  That's why I brought the situation here to the brain trust...

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

Well, there you go all making sense and stuff.  I, personally, think the latter is what's going to happen but, again, I don't want my age and cynicism to squelch a possible good gig.  That's why I brought the situation here to the brain trust...

Good golly, don't trust my brain!! I just stay at Holiday Inn Express!

Maybe have him bang on a drum and the drummers can stand behind a flimsy wall and fling axes at him?   

I'd bet you could get a drummer or two to give up a bit of floor time for that.

• Like 1

This obviously didn't garner much interest, but the end result is that the TV people are coming!  Yay! (?) !

Sorry Stu, but this was a good learning experience for us.  We were wrong.

After consultation with my show partner, the retired band director of the host/show site school with a LONG pedigree in drum corps and college band, his suggestion was, essentially:

"Get over yourself" (my words, not his)

He didn't think it'd be hoaky at all, and there's a station in his home town that does this same thing and it's very popular.  It is here, too.  This is show-morning coverage and, no matter how hoaky, great advertising that puts BITS.

Interestingly (and I will reveal this), when I contacted the folks at Cascades, he said the exact same thing.  They've done this type of show before and it's no big deal.  He even said that I could drop off the TV crew and they'd keep them busy for the whole three hours.  "Let 'em bang on drums and try to twirl the flags.  Ham sells with eggs and toast."

LOL

So, if it's me and Stu against the experience close to me, and the corps itself is not aggin' it, I should help them do it.

I meet the TV crew at the school at 6:30am Monday morning!  Get them started and I'm off to greet five arriving corps in about 4 hours. 

Show Day!

• Like 5