Which Corps will be the recipient of the Ott ?

18 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Could be, I do think communication is an aspect of brass performance beyond just the GE aspect. The notes must come alive

Guess so. Cadets in 2015 were definitely not the most emotional musically but they played a insane book very well. That's why I thought it was a very deserved win. But I see the topic is kinda shifting to "which brass line I enjoyed the most" hence the emphasis on communication.

46 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

Guess so. Cadets in 2015 were definitely not the most emotional musically but they played a insane book very well. That's why I thought it was a very deserved win. But I see the topic is kinda shifting to "which brass line I enjoyed the most" hence the emphasis on communication.

Agree.

On 8/18/2017 at 3:53 PM, onionhead said:

With the rumor that crown brass is leaving, will another corps win the Ott or if another corps wins will crown brass staff wish they had jumped ship ?

Whomever manages to cover up the most deficiencies and issues with synthesizers, samples, and singing will take the Ott.

I encourage everyone to watch gopro headcams on YouTube to hear what these hornlines actually sound like.  Don't listen so much to the ones upon which the cameras are mounted, but rather those around them.  If the power went out during a performance, most of these corps would be severely crippled.

Edited by Bobby L. Collins

7 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Whomever manages to cover up the most deficiencies and issues with synthesizers, samples, and singing will take the Ott.

I encourage everyone to watch gopro headcams on YouTube to hear what these hornlines actually sound like.  Don't listen so much to the ones upon which the cameras are mounted, but rather those around them.  If the power went out during a performance, most of these corps would be severely crippled.

You're fun :)

5 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Except the guy that judges brass is behind all the speakers and won't hear any of that...

Just now, wilme861 said:

Except the guy that judges brass is behind all the speakers and won't hear any of that...

Sure he will.  Speakers are not omni-directional.  And even if he's standing right in front of a company block, he's still going to hear the monitors.

9 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Sure he will.  Speakers are not omni-directional.  And even if he's standing right in front of a company block, he's still going to hear the monitors.

Even if he does hear it, it doesn't matter. He judges Brass, not Music Analysis or GE. Good luck covering up mistakes in a brass line when the judge is standing 10 ft away from you.

1 minute ago, wilme861 said:

Even if he does hear it, it doesn't matter. He judges Brass, not Music Analysis or GE. Good luck covering up mistakes in a brass line when the judge is standing 10 ft away from you.

Easy if a synthesizer is playing your part loud enough to wake the dead.  See EVERY tuba line today.

24 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Hey buddy, do you hear any Synth in this judging tape while the judge is in front of the brass (or really anywhere on the field)? If you do, I'd maybe get your ears checked

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Well that only further blurs your comments so I do not understand the "energy" word choice I guess. 

I loved that show, but it seems like so long ago. Age out year I guess

• Like 1