Enough Judging Conspiracy Theories

8 minutes ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

Hence why I became a judge.  This kind of stuff never made sense to me.

The possibility that a bad run by the corps, a different view, a different subjective evaluation, a different show, by a different judge, could flip placements (1st to 2nd) or move scoring slightly (+/- .3 or .5).  That stuff has never made sense to you?

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ContraFart said:

Actually the human element is partially taken out of sports like football and baseball with instant replay. Its completely eliminated in tennis. The big sport with the most subjective referees is basketball and I have the same issues.

The human element is very much alive and well in football. Why do you think the Seahawks hold on every possession? Because the refs won't call every single one. 

1 minute ago, ContraFart said:

That's a first. Someone from DCP says I'm smart

Haha.  Didn't say you are smart, but you sure do sound smart!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Because when pitchers throws a strike it should be a strike in the same way a 19.6 should be a 19.6. When you give deference to superstars (which happens to be the biggest argument in pro sports and in the same way in DCI) it eliminates the integrity of the results.

Im just gonna have to disagree here. Was BD's 99.65 really .35 from perfection? Or was it just 2+ points better than the next corps? I believe it's the latter rather than the former. DCI's judging is all relative, and is a reason why 

1. You can't compare scores from one show to another 

2. You can't compare scores year to year

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Tennis still remains a game of psychological warfare and stamina

True, but eliminating how the players react psycologicly to subjective calls has deminished that psychological mind set and warfare. How they overcame those calls allowed the strong minded to shine even brighter and allowed the weaker minded to fall even faster.

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

The possibility that a bad run by the corps, a different view, a different subjective evaluation, a different show, by a different judge, could flip placements (1st to 2nd) or move scoring slightly (+/- .3 or .5).  That stuff has never made sense to you?

For once, I find myself agreeing with ya Stu

Im just gonna have to disagree here. Was BD's 99.65 really .35 from perfection? Or was it just 2+ points better than the next corps? I believe it's the latter rather than the former. DCI's judging is all relative, and is a reason why 

When YOU are putting a number down, it's a reflection of YOUR experience.  When they all pan out, you have no control.  The overall number is the overall number.

Just now, Stu said:

True, but eliminating how the players react psycologicly to subjective calls has deminished that psychological mind set and warfare. How they overcame those calls allowed the strong minded to shine even brighter and allowed the weaker minded to fall even faster.

We are talking about a sport here, though, not a chess match. I appreciate the psychological aspect of tennis, but I do think that the physical attributes and skill of the players should be able to shine through as well :)

This is the problem.

Just now, DeusExGreenMachina said:

When YOU are putting a number down, it's a reflection of YOUR experience.  When they all pan out, you have no control.  The overall number is the overall number.

So BD had a perfect night in colorguard?