Enough Judging Conspiracy Theories

12 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Football is a difficult thing to accept sometimes because the refs eyeball every ball placement, yet pull out the chains where its close.

You do realize that the placement of the stick for those chains out on the field is, though only in a fraction of an inch, but is a subjective placement based on where the stick was on the sideline. And many times that subjective fraction of an inch determines the first down or not. But, that humaness us part of the excellence in the game.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

NO! This is human!  Perfection is not human; and human excellence abhors perfection!

Then the scores have absolutely no weight and no meaning since they are just the whim of a single person viewing a portion of a show on a random night.

1 minute ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

But we do.  That's our job.

Do you though? There is plenty evidence that a corps' score shifts dramatically (and I'm not talking the tiny spread that ContraFart is complaining about) night to night depending on what corps are also participating in that same competition. 

Me, I'm a bit of an analytical person and that type of pattern suggests the opposite of what you are saying. 

Do you have an explanation for that? 

2 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Then the scores have absolutely no weight and no meaning since they are just the whim of a single person viewing a portion of a show on a random night.

Time for you to stop following the activity, eh? (I mean that in jest)

Edited by Cappybara

Just now, ContraFart said:

The scores are definitely not a whim.  We train for this, for many years, to ideally be a part of state, regional, and national levels

The scores are a reflection of an assigned trained judge who [should be keenly aware of] the sheets and we put down our number.

Not a whim.  That's just ridiculous.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Everything with a subjective element will have inconsistencies. That's life. That's human. 

Then subjective results should be debated and challenged without inference of hatred of one group or another and without accusations of insulting the MMs of a group in which you do not agree should have won.

2 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Those who jump from one extreme view to the opposite extreme view to further their point make me chuckle.

• Like 1

Did you ever have such a discrepancy between scores that someone had to erase their marks and change them to be closer to whatever others had marked?

Because I know for 100% fact that crap happens at the high school clinic level.

1 minute ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

The scores are definitely not a whim.  We train for this, for many years, to ideally be a part of state, regional, and national levels

The scores are a reflection of an assigned trained judge who [should be keenly aware of] the sheets and we put down our number.

But this thread is making competing arguments.

1. That judges are trained and judge to the sheets in a way that is accurate.

2. That there is fluctuation in scores due to relative viewings and a half point shift from one night to the next should be acceptable.

It can't be both.

4 minutes ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

I rarely play the 'like' game on DCP. But this post warranted an exception! Bravo!