Enough Judging Conspiracy Theories

3 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

You don't need to be a judge to have an opinion

You don't. I share my opinions all the time. But I typically always accept and defer to the greater experience of the judges actually on the field rather than disagree with them and believe they got it wrong

1 minute ago, Stu said:

That is likely the most honest response you have posted in this entire thread!!! 'You' haven't agreed with the results. That says volumes!!!

And in a subjective activity do dissenting opinions hold no weight?

6 minutes ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

Sure.  As I said in my original post:

"...when panels change, numbers will change as you have probably experienced in the past.  It's absolutely unavoidable."

Glad to hear you're analytical and I am not asking for evidence of corps' score shifts mostly because I have seen plenty of this on my own. My original post mentions that even within captions, scores will unavoidably shift due to changes in the panel.

Mm I don't quite agree that it has to do strictly with the panel rather than the actual corps that are present. But that isn't really something that can be proven or disproven so I will leave it at that

6 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

But I cannot see the meaning in those numbers when they unreasonably shift in a somewhat controlled environment.

Probably because you've only had experience outside of judging and directing.  We have many off-season meetings talking about numbers management, what they mean, and how they are valued and should be given to XYZ units.  I cannot speak for any particular circuit, but there is continual training with mine.  It's all about the numbers, how they are rewarded, and their relevance to the sheets which seem to change pretty frequently.

It gets exhausting.

Edited by DeusExGreenMachina
Grammar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

But that isn't really something that can be proven or disproven so I will leave it at that

Very well.

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

You don't. I share my opinions all the time. But I typically always accept and defer to the greater experience of the judges actually on the field rather than disagree with them and believe they got it wrong

So basically you are saying that numbers shift and the sport is completely subjective, but we should blindly agree in the wisdom of the judges because my opinion doesn't count

5 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

So basically you are saying that numbers shift and the sport is completely subjective, but we should blindly agree in the wisdom of the judges because my opinion doesn't count

Some opinions are more educated than others. I defer to the numbers the judges provide, yes, even in such a subjective activity, because they have so much training and hands on experience doing so. 

6 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

But your opinion DOES count.  It doesn't mean that it's right (or wrong)...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

But I cannot see the meaning in those numbers when they unreasonably shift in a somewhat controlled environment.

By you using the term 'unreasonably shift', even you are engaging in subjective evaluation. 1st to 2nd place shift, guards shifting mere fractions of a point, to others those are 'reasonable shifts' due to many, many, many factors. And all, even you, are engaging in subjective opinion.

Edited by Stu

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Some opinions are more educated than others. I defer to the numbers the judges provide, yes, even in such a subjective activity, because they have so much training and hands on experience doing so. 

I may not have the vocabulary to describe what I see in the same context as the judging community, but I am far from uneducated. 

All in all 3 shows, all at the same venue, all have the same content, 2 shows yield similar results, the 3rd has different results. Of course I am going to question the one that is not like the others.