RPH, and how it effected the Cadets this year.

I had SO much anticipation to finally be able to see this tune in person, and in a word, I would describe the experience as "disappointing", as RPH took a performance that was full of excitement, and allowed it to fizzle, instead of adding to it. I even held a notion that for Finals, they would breakout the power that the tune needed, that would propel their GE and other related captions to a new level.

In all, The Cadets had a wonderful show, that really built from Fanfare and Allegro, and on through Malaguena.

It had electricity, attitiude, and really set them up for a grand finale. Unfortunately, they failed, and with that failure, cost them a chance at not only a championship, but also securing themselves in the 2 spot at the least.

As I sat in anticipation during Quarterfinals, about to witness in person maybe my favorite movement in DC, I couldn't help but scratch my head at the concept that, after I had seen it, was never changed to spice up the program.

IMO, The Cadets broke the cardinal rule, that if you are going to resurrect a tune from the past, it had better have the same/better effect that it had originally.

RPH orginally was all about speed and power, this years arraignment still had the speed, but DEFINITELY had NO power whatsoever. At best, it was anemic.

What made the Z-Pull back in the day, was the power that accompanied it, but all that accompanied the move this year was a "dying" melody that barely had any inspiring/loud notes to it.

As I sit here, I am still amazed that this wasn't recognized by a member of the staff.

The Cadets made one #### of a comeback, and the staff had as much to do with it as the members, but I feel that the aforementioned overlook might have had everything to do with the ultimate placement on this years DC food chain.

Congrats on a wonderful, and gutsy run at it Cadets.............

Edited by Blue Devil Legend

Cadets came within a whisker of beating Cavaliers at Finals ( less than .2 tenths), to secure 2nd place, so they were right there in terms of performance. I enjoyed the Corps a lot this year, but feel RPH, and Melaguena just didn't fit smoothly.

hence.......the change would have raised their score at least .5-1.0 points........ :P

ok....so after 350 views, I am assuming that either:

1) everyone agrees

or

2) everyone thinks I suffer from 'cranial rectal inversion'

I would love to hear some different opinions on this if there are any out there.

Ok, I will share some thoughts on this. For me, I liked their show a lot this year. I also thought they had beaten cavies on finals night regardless of repertoire issues. Was this the most exciting Cadets show we have seen? NO. Why not? Well in my opinion there are three reasons: a) it wasn't because the repertoire didn't flow smoothly, but that 2 of the 3 works were more associated with other corps (hence we will always judge the arrangement to the old standard--whether that is necesary or not), B) the overall effect given during Fanfare and Allegro and Rocky Point Holiday was a bit flat, and c) the combination of using some older drill moves with music associated with great performances from the past really limited what the Cadets could do.

Having said that, I really enjoyed it for what it was. The old-timers, and many others, were really digging this show. It wasn't a show that had you going nuts with wild standing Os, but it had a kind of cool factor that made you want to see it again when it was over.

On a competitive side, there was no doubt that they had the goods to win a title if given a slightly different show, and I think that is what the original poster is refering to. Maybe I am wrong. Their horns came in second by a .1, their guard was second by .2, their marching execution was second by .1, and their percussion won. They simply needed more GE music and GE visual to compete with BD. But to assume that every show must have the goods to win is difficult. Sometimes the goal is to create the effect and overal musical package you desire, then fine tune it for the best performance, as well as the best chance for a higher score. I don't know that I wish to see corps designing shows for the sole intent of winning, yet I am not saying a different approach to this show would not have helped its entertainment factor. The bottom line is that they took as shot at something that probably didn't come out quite as they had planned. I am not sure how many shows do. What they tried to do was risky. To take a two popular favorites that were performed by big-name corps like the Vanguard and Madison would be suicide for many, especially a corps trying to be top 3 in Div 1.

I do kind of hope they scrap the West Side Story idea for next season. I would like to see the Cadets try a new, fresh show (similar to 92 or 93). West Side Story simply presents too many of the problems I mentioned above. Too many comparisons to older shows (and none will be like 84 Garfield or Sky Ryders of 87).

Just some thoughts.

I loved "Rocky point holiday" The bottom line it is would have never been as good as 82/83 even if they were capable of flying across the field. I enjoyed it because I got to hear it live again, and In my opinion, no matter how much some feel the "z-pull" was lacking, it was awesome and anytime anyone goes end zone to end zone....it deserves applause and accolades.

The best part of the show, to me.

~G~

Well for me not even being born when the first Z-Pull was performed as well as the RPH put on the field, I can only say that I was nothing short of ecstatic to see it performed. It was truly a moment I wont forget anytime soon, whether it was as "visually stunning" as it was back in 1983.

There are always considerations ...

If we had a 13 minute show -- we would have had a different Rocky Point.

We devited a good chuck of time to Malaguena. As a trade off, we had to cut from RPH. Would I do it again -- Yep. Do I wish I did not have to -- Yep.

Do I want 13 minutes shows --

Oh yeah baby!

:P

No matter how the notes were played and how the Z-pull was done, it brought me back in time. So much so that I had tears in my eyes on a few occasions. I could think of only Zingali at one point and memories came flooding back.

The Cadets were phenominal and did a great job. They had a show I thoroughly enjoyed. Props to all that worked on their 2003 program and to the members who marched it! :)

I wasn't at finals however; I was at Allentown the week before and I was extremely impressed with how well the Cadets marched and how confident they seemed. I would say the only negative about RPH was the power or, lack-there-of from the horn line. For some reason IMHO the hits just didn't have the impact required to get the GE Music scores up enough to have them contending for the top spot. The marching was fabulous as well as the playing and the guard, kudos to April and crew on an absolutely fabulous guard. I thought the guard costume and the colors of the flags added a tremendous amount of effect to the show, it wouldn't have been the same without them... I was extremely proud of them and think they were by far the most improved corps of the season. I look forward to next year and I too hope for a show other than WSS.

Deb