Murfreesboro, TN - July, 27, 2018

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Blue Knights 2018 may perhaps best illustrates your point for you too, Cappybara .  Blue Knights 2018  is one of your very favorite shows in this Drum Corps season. But the judges are giving it comparatively low GE marks at the moment. It is true that what judges reward, is not what fans enjoy. This has been true however for decades in Drum Corps. DCI once ran a poll several years back for the national fans favorite Drum Corps shows of all time. When the list came out, less than half the Corps that were the all time fans favorites won in the season that show was judged by the judges that season. And lest we forget, the judges in DCI in 1993 did not believe the 1993 Star of Indiana Show was the best show in performance that nite. ( did not win the " GE" Caption even ),  let alone a fan favorite, then, or years later. I do understand Mike's frustration that shows that fans enjoy ( such as yours ) are not scoring as well as we sometimes wish. But this is not the judging system the Corps themselves have agreed upon re. what judges should be rewarding in shows. And the fans are never included in these negotiations and have no input at all to begin with re.  the judging sheets.

And yet, everyone talks about this show! That show got robbed! 

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Blue Knights 2018 may perhaps best illustrates your point for you too, Cappybara .  Blue Knights 2018  is one of your very favorite shows in this Drum Corps season. But the judges are giving it comparatively low GE marks at the moment. It is true that what judges reward, is not what fans enjoy. This has been true however for decades in Drum Corps. DCI once ran a poll several years back for the national fans favorite Drum Corps shows of all time. When the list came out, less than half the Corps that were the all time fans favorites won in the season that show was judged by the judges that season. And lest we forget, the judges in DCI in 1993 did not believe the 1993 Star of Indiana Show was the best show in performance that nite. ( did not win the " GE" Caption even ),  let alone a fan favorite, then, or years later. I do understand Mike's frustration that shows that fans enjoy ( such as yours ) are not scoring as well as we sometimes wish. But this is not the judging system the Corps themselves have agreed upon re. what judges should be rewarding in shows. And the fans are never included in these negotiations and have no input at all to begin with re.  the judging sheets.

I can't like this more! AMEN! PREACH! 

33 minutes ago, Box5Opinion said:

And yet, everyone talks about this show! That show got robbed! 

I agree that we still talk about Star 1993 because it was a benchmark show that changed the activity for the next two decades.  I would disagree that it got robbed.  They didn't just lose to The Cadets at Finals, but also at DCI Southwest Regional in Houston that year.  Star did win most of their shows, but many fans that summer felt Cadets were equally good, even if what the Cadets had was a more traditional show (at least by Cadets style at that time). The Cadets were not really breaking any new ground with their "In The Spring..." show. It was fantastic design and well performed -- and one of the more demanding shows you will see -- but it was more or less a very similar show to what we had seem from them in 1990, 91, and 92. Nonetheless, Cadets were a force from day one of that season. It was a two corps race all summer.

I do believe Star would have won with a better marching performance, which would have helped lock-in some of the GE visual moments a bit better. It rained on finals night, pretty badly, and I thought that had an effect on Star and Cadets.  Cadets just got a slight nod.  But both were deserving championship corps.  

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Box5Opinion said:

I can't like this more! AMEN! PREACH! 

I would argue that the fans have a very large say. It’s called gate and merch. If attendance drops by a measurable amount, and fans say it’s because they just don’t like the shows being awarded medals, you can bet DCI will be revisiting their scoring criteria.