A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

17 hours ago, garfield said:

Now, they attempt to get out front and iterate what P&P have been put in place, and they're accused of trying to shut down the discussion when nothing at all indicates that as a truism.

This was, in no way, an attempt to get out front. DCI (through Dan, his staff coms person, and the director board members) have hunkered down trying to keep information from coming public. This is complete CYA. Don't take my word... ask the reporters who have been covering this story since April. DCI is not protecting the members... they are protecting themselves. Sunshine is the best disinfectant. And this activity needs A LOT of sunshine right now.

3 hours ago, garfield said:

Will one of you memory-wizards shake your circuits and attempt to verify whether or not there was an actual case of a school refusing housing or hosting a show, or even participating with drum corps as fans (clinics, etc) that has ended, as a result of the Cadets/GH news in the spring, and/or as a result of any messaging from DCI that's occured since, please?

UPenn in the aftermath of GH. There are several NJ school districts who no longer allow corps to use facilities. This created a real housing issue for Clifton, Allentown 1 and DCI east. I can't speak to other areas so this may be more an NJ issue than nationwide... but it is an issue.

6 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

This was, in no way, an attempt to get out front. DCI (through Dan, his staff coms person, and the director board members) have hunkered down trying to keep information from coming public. This is complete CYA. Don't take my word... ask the reporters who have been covering this story since April. DCI is not protecting the members... they are protecting themselves. Sunshine is the best disinfectant. And this activity needs A LOT of sunshine right now.

I disagree and I encourage you to go back and re-watch it.

Presuming your opinion doesn't change, can you name a specific and particular action the DCI you describe has taken "to keep information from coming public"?

Your post here reads as if you are willing to hear the opinions of just one side of an issue and cement your opinion based on that alone.  I don't think that's an appropriate approach in most situations, this one included.

Your contention of who "DCI" is protecting does not ring true with evidence of progress or the intent of existing governorship.

4 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

UPenn in the aftermath of GH. There are several NJ school districts who no longer allow corps to use facilities. This created a real housing issue for Clifton, Allentown 1 and DCI east. I can't speak to other areas so this may be more an NJ issue than nationwide... but it is an issue.

I appreciate the input but I'd ask that you source "...several NJ school districts who no longer allow corps to use facilities" and, also, if that has prevented any corps from performing and generating revenue at scheduled DCI shows.

15 hours ago, garfield said:

Calls to JUST HIRE A PR FIRM! are hollow when one finally realizes that there is little or NO money in the DCI bank account to pay for such things.  Such calls for "sanity" are childish and don't represent the best path forward.

No hollow... and do you think YEA had buckets of money. This is just a prudent strategy to make sure the organization is communicating effectively. By all measures... they have not

If there's proof that Dan A himself knew (not HAD to know, but KNEW) of some abuse and didn't speak up, he needs to be held to account.

This is the $64,000 question. 

#4:  Pre-2018 was different than post-2018 will be.  We who love the activity should put forth considerable energy deflecting frivolous and hyperbole-filled calls for extreme actions.

Agree on the knee jerk reactions... I hope when you talk pre and post that you do not expect folks to turn a blind eye to what happened in the past. Or to devalue those who have already come forward and those still to come who have been traumatized be people in whose hands they were entrusted.

1 minute ago, garfield said:

I appreciate the input but I'd ask that you source "...several NJ school districts who no longer allow corps to use facilities" and, also, if that has prevented any corps from performing and generating revenue at scheduled DCI shows.

Sure... several boards of education that I deal with on a professional basis. Can't speak to part two... you would have to ask the corps. The only show related cancelation that I am aware of is U-Penn.

3 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

No hollow... and do you think YEA had buckets of money. This is just a prudent strategy to make sure the organization is communicating effectively. By all measures... they have not

This is the $64,000 question. 

Agree on the knee jerk reactions... I hope when you talk pre and post that you do not expect folks to turn a blind eye to what happened in the past. Or to devalue those who have already come forward and those still to come who have been traumatized be people in whose hands they were entrusted.

Cadets spending money defending themselves is different than Crown, or any other corps, paying to protect the reputation of every other corps.

Taking money out of every corps' budget (via a DCI expense) to defend the reputation(s) of those who are exposed was the issue pre-2018.  

5 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Sure... several boards of education that I deal with on a professional basis. Can't speak to part two... you would have to ask the corps. The only show related cancelation that I am aware of is U-Penn.

And that was moved, not cancelled, correct?

So we're to believe without corroboration that "several" BoE have cancelled their association with housing corps or hosting shows?  Are these schools that had a prior relationship with DCI?  Is this list of schools now "closed" to drum corps made public or even presented to DCI?  Or is it simply "If DCI ever comes asking, the answer is No"?

6 minutes ago, garfield said:

Your post here reads as if you are willing to hear the opinions of just one side of an issue and cement your opinion based on that alone.  I don't think that's an appropriate approach in most situations, this one included.

And I would say the same of you. You seem to feel that DCI has done everything right and there are no issues. I personally know many of the victims that have come forward public and several that have not. Many related to the GH issues. Some related to other corps. And it is clear DCI leadership (not laying this all on Dan A) have been stiff arming the press. This is not hard to figure out. Don't take my word... talk to the people reporting the story. Show me how DCI has been willing to do anything more than REACT to each and every issue. GH... React. Crossmen - React. Pioneer - React (late). Press inquiries - React. I am not aware (and if i exists please enlighten me) of anything DCI has done that has been PROACTIVE.