A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

4 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

It is a question of what did he or any of the DCI leadership know about any of the issues under investigation. Maybe DCI should launch an investigation. Maybe they can... maybe the can't. But they should. It worked for YEA.

Are you saying DCI should investigate DCI or member corps? Lot easier to investigate only yourself like YEA did than jump on everything you read in the web. Or “someone told me something that’s horrible but they won’t talk about it” bit. Or... a reporter just told me something new, let’s quick jump on it....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

13 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

In talking to counterpart ms for our circuit the same was true in NJ, MD and DE. The coverage locally was stifling and couldn’t be missed. 

Philly Inquirer right? Don’t get any bigger between NYC and DC. It’s coverage would be the states you mentioned.

12 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Hi. I administrate for a local circuit in the area. I know when the housing crunch for Allentown became known I tried to help by reaching out to member schools in our circuit. I’m not naming names, but over a dozen schools said right now drum corps was too hot after the story broke. That’s where I learned about the seminar I mentioned above. In talking to counterpart ms for our circuit the same was true in NJ, MD and DE. The coverage locally was stifling and couldn’t be missed. The Hop story had a huge effect. In fact several NJ schools were told not to participate in USBands anymore 

"Hi".  LOL

So, now HERE is corroboration, at least, that schools cancelled...

Please clarify, as your harrowing story is not clear.  These dozen or so schools who said DC was too hot, were they already corps-hosting schools?  Or were they non-regular fall-back schools not on the normal schedule?  And, I presume you mean that DC was too hot to consider hosting a corps.

I have direct contact into USBands and had heard the same thing.  I've also heard that the new mgmnt at USB has enticed almost all back in.

Still, your corroboration of MusicManNJ's account answers the first part of my post question.  The second part is a measurable impact.

Besides the sour PR of UPenn's reaction, and maybe some image or optics work to repair in the local area, it's also true that the show went on and revenue was generated, right?

Was there a measurable impact on the gate?  Something beyond a guess?

Now, are there other examples?  What about in and around Crossmen's geography?  How about in Pio's?

Has BD or SCV suffered any decline in bingo attendance due to this scandal?

31 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Philly Inquirer right? Don’t get any bigger between NYC and DC. It’s coverage would be the states you mentioned.

Every paper in the region covered it. Harrisburg Allentown which covers Reading, Scranton, Philly.com which gets that whole region and into Jerz and Delaware, it was all over. It hit the AP wire and The NY Times had it

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

And I would say the same of you. You seem to feel that DCI has done everything right and there are no issues. I personally know many of the victims that have come forward public and several that have not. Many related to the GH issues. Some related to other corps. And it is clear DCI leadership (not laying this all on Dan A) have been stiff arming the press. This is not hard to figure out. Don't take my word... talk to the people reporting the story. Show me how DCI has been willing to do anything more than REACT to each and every issue. GH... React. Crossmen - React. Pioneer - React (late). Press inquiries - React. I am not aware (and if i exists please enlighten me) of anything DCI has done that has been PROACTIVE. 

Um, Dan looks great, doesn't he?

Why is he getting crap for being proactive about reinforcing what's occured since this reporter broke the whole story?  He's proactive, he gets punched.  He's reactive, he gets punched.  The lawyers say "Don't talk to the reporter.  Make a public statement that's positive and honest", he gets punched.

Nobody has yet answered the question asked here about how, exactly, Dan is supposed to be proactive about something he doesn't know about?

And I wonder why there's no clarion here for the corps directors who are apparently muzzling Dan to follow only the advice of DCI's counsel?  It appears they've abdicated all decision-making to counsel, although I suspect the voting members are in near-constant communication with the new Chairperson. 

Is there NO intellectual curiosity about why, after decades of wanting to make their own statements and run their own gigs, none of the corps directors have made public announcements beyond their original, if any, either?  

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, garfield said:

"Hi".  LOL

So, now HERE is corroboration, at least, that schools cancelled...

Please clarify, as your harrowing story is not clear.  These dozen or so schools who said DC was too hot, were they already corps-hosting schools?  Or were they non-regular fall-back schools not on the normal schedule?  And, I presume you mean that DC was too hot to consider hosting a corps.

I have direct contact into USBands and had heard the same thing.  I've also heard that the new mgmnt at USB has enticed almost all back in.

Still, your corroboration of MusicManNJ's account answers the first part of my post question.  The second part is a measurable impact.

Besides the sour PR of UPenn's reaction, and maybe some image or optics work to repair in the local area, it's also true that the show went on and revenue was generated, right?

Was there a measurable impact on the gate?  Something beyond a guess?

Now, are there other examples?  What about in and around Crossmen's geography?  How about in Pio's?

Has BD or SCV suffered any decline in bingo attendance due to this scandal?

Yes they had hosted. Camps, show day sites, some even shows. It’s more than just UPenn. Not living here you don’t realize the amount of coverage this got. Within days of the news hitting our jersey regions couldn’t keep up with emails and calls about joining because they were fleeing USBands. Some are doing half and half, some stayed, some gone totally. We went from at most 4 shows a weekend in jersey to up to 6, and all huge shows. I don’t pay enough attention to who they have and done have but I know we grew because of it. Like it created staffing challenges grew. 

I dont live live in Texas or Milwaukee. I live outside of Harrisburg with deep ties throughout the mid Atlantic, and it hurt. And the more big stories that come out can’t hekp. In fact it won’t help at all.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

Um, Dan looks great, doesn't he?

Why is he getting crap for being proactive about reinforcing what's occured since this reporter broke the whole story?  He's proactive, he gets punched.  He's reactive, he gets punched.  The lawyers say "Don't talk to the reporter.  Make a public statement that's positive and honest", he gets punched.

Nobody has yet answered the question asked here about how, exactly, Dan is supposed to be proactive about something he doesn't know about?

And I wonder why there's no clarion here for the corps directors who are apparently muzzling Dan to follow only the advice of DCI's counsel?  It appears they've abdicated all decision-making to counsel, although I suspect the voting members are in near-constant communication with the new Chairperson. 

Is there NO intellectual curiosity about why, after decades of wanting to make their own statements and run their own gigs, none of the corps directors have made public announcements beyond their original, if any, either?  

Personally Dans statement doesn’t help because it only fuels speculation 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, garfield said:

Sure there is. Perhaps the attitude is that one of Dan's tasks is to act as a meatshield when things like this go down and take cover. Let him deal with it while they figure out next season's program, recruiting, and money.

I have a guess as more information is divulged, the target will shift to those in question from any future articles or publicly confirmed discoveries. Once they're outed, they can't hide behind any statements Dan makes anymore. Then... you will see them having to refuse to speak to reporters to prevent self incrimination, etc. and the brickbats will fall where they should be falling.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Personally Dans statement doesn’t help because it only fuels speculation 

I grant that speculation is being fueled, but not that Dan or his video is fuelling it.

I keep watching his video looking for evidence of fueling speculation and the only kind of speculation I can find comes with a tin-foil hat from viewers.

Distinctly not from his words.

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

I grant that speculation is being fueled, but not that Dan or his video is fuelling it.

I keep watching his video looking for evidence of fueling speculation and the only kind of speculation I can find comes with a tin-foil hat from viewers.

Distinctly not from his words.

Humm,

Partly he said:

A reporter has informed us that another story on drum corps is forthcoming. The writer says, “It will outline a number of examples I have found of people who have worked or volunteered in the activity in recent years who were accused of having inappropriate relationships with students or who have criminal records including crimes of a sexual nature. It will be an in-depth look at these cases and at the policies of both DCI and individual corps.”

We wanted to share this information with you before you read it online or see it on social media.

Doesn't that fuel speculation about what might be up?

• Thanks 2