Cadets Announce 85th Anniversary Alumni Corps

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

It’s odd that someone would hate Elk’s Parade.  It’s such a fun tune.  Oh well, I guess I belong on the old phart thread. 

I’m guessing it has to do with a certain corps being known for that tune. Totally different styles but have both and like...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Who didn’t like Sky? 

Lol first corps T-shirt I bought (74 or 75) and last one I bought may have been the alumni version.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Who didn’t like Sky? 

There were times when I was with Sunrisers when we liked and hated them at the same time.  :laughing:

Seriously... even when they were a competitive rival, they were fun to watch.

Empire Statesmen had their own version of Elks Parade as one of their parade/encore tunes... and I think they did it as a tribute to the Skyliners. 

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

There were times when I was with Sunrisers when we liked and hated them at the same time.  :laughing:

Empire Statesmen had their own version of Elks Parade as one of their parade/encore tunes... and I think they did it as a tribute to the Skyliners. 

I used to have An Evening with the Skyliners album but I gave it away.  

29 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

1977 we made finals for first time in years and Sky next to us for Olympic retreat. Near end of line and notice Sky members stomping a certain spot of ground as they march by. Got up there and.... Sunriser lid... well what was left of it... welcome to DCA membership Westshore

• Haha 1

Yeah Fran the High Schoolers and rookies in the corps just about flipped. “Yeah this ain’t marching band is it”. Thus sayeth the grizzled barely 20 year old with his 4th year in the corps (me).

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

1977 we made finals for first time in years and Sky next to us for Olympic retreat.

Man... you guys were in the catbird seat that night!!!   LOL

That weekend was the end of the most memorable summer I've ever had in drum corps. Coming from a local-circuit junior corps that hadn't broken a 60 for two seasons... to being a deer-in-the-headlights, totally naive DCA rookie, marching in a corps that won its first DCA title that summer.

I mean... highest score in 1975/76 was a 59 with my junior corps.... then my first show with Sun, Memorial Day weekend in '77, we scored a 76 and went from there.

I quickly realized I was not in Kansas anymore. :laughing:

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I used to have An Evening with the Skyliners album but I gave it away.  

A classic!!! 

Man... in their glory years, those guys could really bring the heat. A ton of talent in that horn line, playing those terrific Dreitzer charts.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

A classic!!! 

Man... in their glory years, those guys could really bring the heat. A ton of talent in that horn line, playing those terrific Dreitzer charts.

My first album was a 3-record set of the 63 Dream, junior and senior. Think I payed a quarter for it in the sale bin at a show in 1968. I wore out the Skyliners track...."Little Ol' New York" opener and a concert of "Tenement Symphony" (from the Marx Bros film "The Big Store"...also starring Lucille Ball).