A year ago today

22 minutes ago, Stu said:

Housing problems and fan fluctuations were both major issues prior to this time last year. And while Zildjian has moved away from DCI corporate sponsorship they are still full force with individual DCI corps, which indicates a more targeted approach not a loss. So please quantify your statement and show how are these situations are directly due to the recent negativity.

it is a known fact that in the Mid Atlantic region, especially closer to DCI East that some schools decided to no longer house corps after the story broke, college and high school. if you recall Mike Ryan himself was on here asking for help in late July as crisis time approached. So that added to existing housing woes

• Like 1

Change does not happen easily or painlessly. Anyone convinced they know better how to deal with the problems — particularly if he/she has a legal background — is strongly encouraged to get involved in the solutions. DCI and the individual corps need all the help they can get. This is OUR beloved activity. 

I listened to an interesting interview with one of the March Madness coaches about the corruption and related issues there (Tiki and Tierney, CBS Sports Radio), and Jeff, I know you brought up the whole NCAA relationship to the colleges earlier, and this coach said that the schools need to clean up themselves and run things the right way as the first step. He intimated the NCAA could impose punishment when caught, but that the member colleges needed to start with themselves with compliance and ethics and not do it because they feel forced to by the NCAA. They should do it because it's the right thing to do.

Kind of like the Colleges... we see some of that in DCI, and hopefully a push to really get the Conduct and Ethics Issues truly dealt with so if anything happens again, there is a structure in place that is well defined to help member corps make sure they're getting this right. Obviously, there will need to be some agreement and consensus reached. I think it needs to be done quickly and well, and not brushed off. I consider this the main priority.

I note some related posts on DCP about how some corps are adding additional health/well-being and safety personnel now. GOOD. The question on my mind is this... should this be dictated by DCI HQ top down... or... should the members develop their own plans and implement them? With that, maybe some re-invent the wheel. Maybe some of the corps will have something that provides a template and working example for the other members to more easily implement. I have no perfect answer.

I apologize if I seem a bit unclear or scattered, I'm not feeling exactly very well right now. I'd be glad to discuss, so please go slow and easy. :satisfied:

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Change does not happen easily or painlessly. Anyone convinced they know better how to deal with the problems — particularly if he/she has a legal background — is strongly encouraged to get involved in the solutions. DCI and the individual corps need all the help they can get. This is OUR beloved activity. 

A definite yes on legal advice and assistance. I think... that the application of common sense, simple kindness, and a sincere drive to treat people right and do what is right for everyone would get things started for those legal people to look at and tighten up the verbiage.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigW said:

I apologize if I seem a bit unclear or scattered, I'm not feeling exactly very well right now. I'd be glad to discuss, so please go slow and easy:satisfied:

Hope you feel better soon

5 minutes ago, BigW said:

I listened to an interesting interview with one of the March Madness coaches about the corruption and related issues there (Tiki and Tierney, CBS Sports Radio), and Jeff, I know you brought up the whole NCAA relationship to the colleges earlier, and this coach said that the schools need to clean up themselves and run things the right way as the first step. He intimated the NCAA could impose punishment when caught, but that the member colleges needed to start with themselves with compliance and ethics and not do it because they feel forced to by the NCAA. They should do it because it's the right thing to do.

Kind of like the Colleges... we see some of that in DCI, and hopefully a push to really get the Conduct and Ethics Issues truly dealt with so if anything happens again, there is a structure in place that is well defined to help member corps make sure they're getting this right. Obviously, there will need to be some agreement and consensus reached. I think it needs to be done quickly and well, and not brushed off. I consider this the main priority.

I note some posts here about how some corps are adding additional health/well-being and safety personnel now. GOOD. The question on my mind is this... should this be dictated by DCI HQ top down... or... should the members develop their own plans and implement them? With that, maybe some re-invent the wheel. Maybe some of the corps will have something that provides a template and working example for the other members to more easily implement. I have no perfect answer.

I apologize if I seem a bit unclear or scattered, I'm not feeling exactly very well right now. I'd be glad to discuss, so please go slow and easy. :satisfied:

one thing...when I refer to DCI...DCI is the corps. not just HQ

3 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I'm still not 100% convinced that DCI "gets it" or least fully understands what their role is or should be. 

And that seems to be a common thread we're all circling. Maybe there needs to be more direction and definition from the member corps right now so that they know what they can and cannot do with greater certainty, and well..... the rest of us would know.

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

one thing...when I refer to DCI...DCI is the corps. not just HQ

Very, very true. I think Jeff, when I write, I use DCI or DCI HQ to denote the 'governing entity' (governing being a pretty gray area!) and 'member corps' to be more specific on that.

I see DCI as a bottom-up organization because of that very structure, and the solutions have to be reached and developed from that bottom/'member corps'. The top might have ideas to bring to the table, and I hope they have them and mention them, but yeah... the 'member corps' would have to agree with them.

6 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Hope you feel better soon

Heh, just not able to shake off whatever the local ailment is. Overwork hasn't helped! I marched 6 seasons in DCA, I'm made of tough stuff. :laugh:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

it is a known fact that in the Mid Atlantic region, especially closer to DCI East that some schools decided to no longer house corps after the story broke, college and high school. if you recall Mike Ryan himself was on here asking for help in late July as crisis time approached. So that added to existing housing woes

Yes housing site problems occured after the story broke; but that is not evidence of direct cause/effect of the release of the story. Housing drops, even within 24 hours causing panic, have happened for many years. A written or verbal statement from the person in charge of the site stating that was the reason, now that would be direct cause/effect evidence. Otherwise it would be speculation or third party hear say.