A year ago today

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

and to be honest, DCI made the same demands of YEA about the board and director almost a year ago

Absolutely. They did zero in pretty quickly on that once facts came out.

5 hours ago, garfield said:

There’s lots here that is simply not true.

To become more informed about what changes have occurred, I suggest you get involved with a corps to help and learn.

LOTS has changed.

EDIT: and in order to not mislead, the “outrage”, selective and otherwise, displayed on DCP and similar carried minimal weight, if any, in DCI’s decisions regarding governance structure changes.  Supervision and accountability rules changes were implemented by most corps immediately after the 2018 Janual. 

sadly it took this story for it to finally be taken seriously across the board by almost every corps. Still love to know more about OC after all of the stories floating online this fall

5 hours ago, garfield said:

The correct approach will give the corps a safety net, a “Put Option” where they can say, under certain circumstances, “This isn’t working..we want it back.”

With likely a supermajority vote to approve certain articles coming back into their hands if they feel that strongly? We have a saying at work, "That makes too much sense". :innocent:

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Reason: the potential host really wants to house the corps, but something valid and specific (to that particular corps or school) came up.

Excuse: someone really wants to find a way to say no and uses something, even an issue completely unrelated to the specific corps or school, to justify the rejection.

As I mentioned on here last summer, at a conference of school administrators in PA, the very issue that led to the article and the upheaval in DCI was discussed. It was in the region where the corps is based, attended by school administrators covering a wide swath of geography. 

You can try to parse participles however you want, it IS on school administrators minds.

2 minutes ago, BigW said:

With likely a supermajority vote to approve certain articles coming back into their hands if they feel that strongly? We have a saying at work, "That makes too much sense". :innocent:

i call it the have your cake and eat it too approach

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

You can try to parse participles however you want, it IS on school administrators minds.

You bet. Anything which creates a real risk of any litigation is a huge priority for admins.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

i call it the have your cake and eat it too approach

Very true, or perhaps some things undergo a trial period where they're seriously reviewed after the trial, and if it works, keep it, if not, rescind.

43 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

nationwide no. in the region where the issue still gets high profile press...yeah

37 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

As I mentioned on here last summer, at a conference of school administrators in PA, the very issue that led to the article and the upheaval in DCI was discussed. It was in the region where the corps is based, attended by school administrators covering a wide swath of geography. 

Local area, local news, local issue. Yep, rather prominent. And that could likely create local housing problems for other corps. But I bet a dollar to a doughnut that while this issue is broadcasted to the world via the internet, across the country this is not viewed as a systemic problem throughout the entirity of DCI. And the only ones outside the local area who would try to apply this issue to all corps are those who were/are aiready reaching for a multitude of other excuses to not house corps.

6 hours ago, Stu said:

Ya sorta just supported my contention that, most times, school administrators and boards who do not want to house corps actually seek out excuses instead of having valid reasons. The truth takes a side step in the name of expediency for desired outcome; which is having the corps become someone elses housing problem.

What is valid is an opinion here. Might not be valid to you but if the board does not want to allow an activity that has a cloud over their head that could be a valid reason to them. And valid reason for the residents who live in that district. Especially those residents who live near the facilities.

Bottom line is the school board is accountable to the residents so why the hades should they take a chance on allowing an outside group with a predator problem (or image of the same) to use the facilities. All it takes is one person to raise hell at a school board meeting or election time and it’s not worth the effort. 

And as for someone’s else’s problem, it’s not the school board/admins responsibility to worry about other districts.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Local area, local news, local issue. Yep, rather prominent. And that could likely create local housing problems for other corps. But I bet a dollar to a doughnut that while this issue is broadcasted to the world via the internet, across the country this is not viewed as a systemic problem throughout the entirity of DCI. And the only ones outside the local area who would try to apply this issue to all corps are those who were/are aiready reaching for a multitude of other excuses to not house corps.

Or they might be seeing it as 1) Corps with a problem that have been caught 2) Corps that don’t have a problem 3) Corps with a problem that haven’t been caught. Why should they take a chance on on ending up with #3? 

Or more to the point why should they take time out of their schedule to find out if a corps using their facilities is 1, 2 or 3?

• Thanks 1