Does no WGI = no DCI for 2021 (Hypothetical)?

Just now, E3D said:

Deaths are going to happen because of this virus. The more we learn the better everyone is at counteracting the disease. Just like the flu. Do I believe the amount of deaths each year from the flu is acceptable? I wish no one had to die from the flu but it still happens. I accept that it still happens. I feel exactly the same way about covid-19. 

How do you you feel about the deaths from the flu? How do you feel about the covid-19 deaths? 

Yes any large crowd events should be discouraged. Rally's - Protest - Riots - Parades - etc. Its a mistake to do them. Can you agree to all of those events? Officials from "both sides" encouraged these types of events. 

We take steps to prevent the seasonal flu: we create and encourage people to get a vaccine, for instance. If not for that, we would have a much, much higher number of annual flu deaths. We don't just "accept" that higher number as inevitable. And we have taken extraordinary steps for other outbreaks. In the case of the swine flu in 2009, for instance, which ultimately led to 12,000 American deaths, some schools were closed, to cite just one measure. We didn't just accept that there would be a lot of deaths and do nothing.

Likewise, with this outbreak, at various levels, we took steps with the hopes of keeping the fatality rate low. We were advised in March by the CDC that the do-nothing, worst case scenario could result in anywhere from 200,000 to 1.7 million American deaths. I can't think there was any American who looked at those numbers then and said, "That would be acceptable." Unfortunately, we seem not to have done enough, and we will easily pass 200,000 deaths in the next couple months. If this outcome wasn't acceptable then, I can't understand why it's acceptable now.

Thank you for answering the last question. I am already on the record here at least twice taking the same position.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

I want it recorded that my refusal to reply to this post in no way indicates I may, or may not, hold any position or belief inferred or defined by this post.

That's fair. (Although if you just hadn't replied at all, I wouldn't have interpreted that as a "refusal" to do so.)

I think that Covid will be sufficiently under control by next year so as to prove DCI leadership, et al, will have been correct if they plan for tour with every precaution available up to the moment DCI can’t contract a show venue sizable enough to host. 

Then, if it has to be scrapped, a cascade of cancellations would take less than a day to cancel.

I would think a contract with a trap door escape hatch for everyone is mandatory..

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

Just now, E3D said:

I have no idea what position I had back in March that you are referring to. Go ahead and let me know. I will await your clever pretzel post. 

Have you stayed clear of bleach? 

Yes I remain bleach-free. And I haven't looked up your posts from March and don't intend to. It has been my belief that NO ONE here was saying in March that 175,000 Covid-19 deaths would be an acceptable outcome. Are you saying that five months ago, you believed that it would be? 

• Like 1

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

That's fair. (Although if you just hadn't replied at all, I wouldn't have interpreted that as a "refusal" to do so.)

Frankly, I didn’t post it for your attention because I know you know I don’t have to.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, garfield said:

I think that Covid will be sufficiently under control by next year so as to prove DCI leadership, et al, will have been correct if they plan for tour with every precaution available up to the moment DCI can’t contract a show venue sizable enough to host. 

Then, if it has to be scrapped, a cascade of cancellations would take less than a day to cancel.

I would think a contract without a trap door escape hatch for everyone is mandatory..

Can you clarify: a contract with whom?

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes I remain bleach-free. And I haven't looked up your posts from March and don't intend to. It has been my belief that NO ONE here was saying in March that 175,000 Covid-19 deaths would be an acceptable outcome. Are you saying that five months ago, you believed that it would be? 

Don’t you think you should replace “acceptable” with “expected”?  Otherwise, it’s just bait.

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Who thought that in March 170k who be believable, let alone acceptable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Who thought that in March 170k who be believable, let alone acceptable.

Again, how many were expected?

Edit: none are acceptable.  Move on.  That’s not the thread subject.

Edited by garfield