Does no WGI = no DCI for 2021 (Hypothetical)?

15 minutes ago, garfield said:

Again, how many were expected?

Edit: none are acceptable.  Move on.  That’s not the thread subject.

Wasn’t picking a fight... sheesh... 

I picked up on the word “acceptable” just like you did. But yet it’s ok if you did it.... Jim - move on, Garfield - continue what you were doing. Double standard is striking

How many were expected in March, think it wasn’t until April that 60k was first brought up.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Can you clarify: a contract with whom?

Sorry, misspelled.  Should be “with” a trap door...

IOW, venues and vendors want to lock in commitments and DCI and the corps want a “no-spend” exit if need be.

The real estate market is a good example.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Who thought that in March 170k who be believable, let alone acceptable.

Well, there were plenty of people then saying that we needed to take huge measures to prevent totals like that from happening, so clearly lots of folks thought it was possible. I myself went on the record in April to say that I thought the first wave (which still hasn't ended) would result in 105,000 deaths -- and when we had surpassed that number in June, I posted here to note that I was, unfortunately, too optimistic.

14 minutes ago, garfield said:

Between DCI, member corps, venues, vendors, and suppliers among others.

Thanks. Would any cash change hands in advance? Would the other parties be guaranteed a full refund if the tour is cancelled?

Edit: Never mind. This doesn't matter because I misunderstood your post.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

6 minutes ago, garfield said:

Don’t you think you should replace “acceptable” with “expected”?  Otherwise, it’s just bait.

No, "acceptable" is the word that people in the survey I mentioned were asked.

To put it another way: I'm curious to know if anyone here thinks it's OK that many people have died? And if they do feel that way, I'm also curious to know why, back in March when that was described as a worst case scenario, no one here was saying (as far as I know) that they were prepared to accept that many deaths.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, there were plenty of people then saying that we needed to take huge measures to prevent totals like that from happening, so clearly lots of folks thought it was possible. I myself went on the record in April to say that I thought the first wave (which still hasn't ended) would result in 105,000 deaths -- and when we had surpassed that number in June, I posted here to note that I was, unfortunately, too optimistic.

Can I respond without being told to move on 😈

Thinking about it there were a lot of numbers being thrown around. Such a wide range I ignored anything not from CDC or Johns Hopkins. And possible that 60k was by a certain month and not the total possible number. 

And I REALLY thought more people would follow CDC guidelines to protect themselves and others. Fooled me... 🤯

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Thanks. Would any cash change hands in advance? Would the other parties be guaranteed a full refund if the tour is cancelled?

Edit: Never mind. This doesn't matter because I misunderstood your post.

And to clarify, I think every corps, and the activity at the top, should proclaim that, as an activity, member fees will be returned to the extent they exceed the amount necessary for the corps, and activity, to plan and implement up to that point.

If the tour gets cancelled before it starts, there's a significant amount that can be returned to the members so long as the drum corps' contracts have a way to cancel their contracts before the tour starts.  If 2021 football, soccer, symphonies, (and that litany of "gatherings" someone else brought up) are banned across the US in November, then drum corps will have gotten a couple of camp fees, or maybe gotten tour fees very early.  All of this can be calculated on a per-day basis, with every decision beginning and ending with what is in the best interest of the members and their financial payors, if not themselves.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Can I respond without being told to move on 😈

Thinking about it there were a lot of numbers being thrown around. Such a wide range I ignored anything not from CDC or Johns Hopkins. And possible that 60k was by a certain month and not the total possible number. 

And I REALLY thought more people would follow CDC guidelines to protect themselves and others. Fooled me... 🤯

Move on.  :bleah:

But seriously, in my industry I was reading scenario studies from the farm management industry that suggested 250,000 deaths or more in the US, and global deaths reaching 1.5mm.  This was not uncommon.

By April, there were mainstream data and analytical companies plotting global GDP interruptions if the US saw 500,000 deaths.

Also, these studies were many times looking at the global impact if it were, in fact, shown that...well, various global-influenced scenarios.  You can imagine and get the point.

Again, in my business, it's widely known that, by the time the story hits the mainstream news, the event is already over and the scenarios to accommodate and survive it have already been put into gear. 

Big, institutional money managers don't care about anyone's feelings or who's at fault unless it implies an additional global impact.  Money moves like water in the ocean and don't be fooled - no one can "follow it".  But, it appears to me that the smartest currencies around the globe are pouring into the US at astonishing rates and buying our government bonds, and confident investors have pushed stock markets nearly back to the February highs.

Are these truths substantial enough for DCI to plan for the best by following the money?

• Thanks 1