DCI partnering with Varsity Performing Arts to launch "SoundSport Scholastic" events

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

read the article several pages back who they go after competitors one by one and eventually gobble them up.

And?  That's bad how?

Only in The Globetrotters (and maybe drum corps) is fake competition created for the sake of entertainment.  In the business world, competitors are squashed in real-life death matches for survival.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

drum corps do now yes. But following Varsitys rulebook, if DCI goes all in with them, the corps won't get that option.

Again, study the Varsity business model and not the headlines.  Their business M.O. is to recognize good management teams and help them become great while sharing in the resulting profit increases.

Your characterization of their business practice is flat-out wrong; apparently you view "improve" and "substitute" as synonymous.  Again, look at the business of Just Briefs for your proof; your description of Varsity doesn't jibe with that specific case, and not with any case I can find of Varsity purchasing another company.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 12:41 AM, Jeff Ream said:

look at Varsitys history....they don't suffer competition. they buy competition out. it wasn't that long ago their name was all the buzz about buying what was left of YEA. Heck their own rulebook says if they find out you're at their event and competed at a competitors event, they'll disqualify you. in the link I posed, the owner admitted in court they'll give you higher scores if you use their apparel. 

The DCI rulebook forbids any drum corps from participating in any performance or competition with any other member corps except at DCI sanctioned events.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 5:07 PM, Jeff Ream said:

their owner admitted groups wearing Varsity wear score better. it's called monopoly......corner every piece of the market you can and use scoring as a way to make it happen

Again, false.

Their owner said that teams score better for using more props, not exclusively Varsity props.  At the time of the article, there were more than 50 companies whose props were all allowed at Varsity events.  However, those companies were not allowed to sell those props at Varsity events where Varsity was allowed to sell its own gear.

This claim is one of those where an important word (in this case) is inserted, is never challenged, and is allowed to grow into its own life as a fake truism.

If this claim were the fact, the Class Action filed would make that claim.  Instead, it claims that teams were allowed to use any makers props, were awarded points for using more props, and Varsity sells props. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, garfield said:

You see, it's completely to Varsity's benefit to help their portfolio companies grow, or to meld the good ideas they buy into their existing business, or eliminate it as competition.

What a relief!  I will sleep soundly now, knowing that Varsity only wants to help DCI grow... or eliminate it.  Whichever.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

What a relief!  I will sleep soundly now, knowing that Varsity only wants to help DCI grow... or eliminate it.  Whichever.

Well, it's not DCI, it's SoundSport.  And we don't know what the deal says about outcome if it's negative.

Remember, they're not buying SS.  The association can be undone as easily as it was done, right?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I have friends that work for those companies that do drum corps and now Varsity supplies. their words paraphrased....."this is the beginning. We'll get more and more involved."

If it's successful and profitable for all, why the heck not?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, garfield said:

Well, it's not DCI, it's SoundSport.  And we don't know what the deal says about outcome if it's negative.

Remember, they're not buying SS.  The association can be undone as easily as it was done, right?

I take it from those words that neither of us can presume the answer to your question.

(But yes, my comment was intended for the longer-term idea of Varsity/DCI, not this SoundSport scholastic venture.)

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

no the article popped up on social media. given how cheerleading has shut down like most everything else right now, won't be much new info

Yeah maybe in the germ factory of the north east.

But in the sunbelt children are out playing soccer, cheerleaders are cheering, ballet academy's are dancing. 

• Like 1