Questions on video for DCA judging

Not naming names…. Just a 🤷🏻

Watching DCA corps online with the bigger tv (my old eyes are very happy) and have seen some of the shows before. So noticing some things with how they are filmed and 🤔

If you have a smaller corps please film from the front. If you tape from the side at a angle you lose what sound you have and it comes out unbalanced.

if your corps doesn’t go outside the 30s, why do you show between the 10 yard lines. Bunch of green with nothing going on and seeing the corps more close up would be nice. 

Some corps are switching between higher up and close ups of corps members which is nice. But if you have someone running around the field with the close up camera please dress them in green or corps colors. When the high up shot is on the screen the person with the close  up camera sticks out like a sore thumb in street clothes running between the corps members.

Other than that just some things that couldn’t be helped which show this isn’t a regular season. Favorite was the road by the field… every few minutes a car would drive by (at least no one honked).

All in all I am enjoying what I am seeing and appreciate what the corps are doing with all the issues they are dealing with. Started with a corps that reformed after being inactive so know the feeing of having to deal with what you have (and not what you want).

8 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

if your corps doesn’t go outside the 30s, why do you show between the 10 yard lines. Bunch of green with nothing going on and seeing the corps more close up would be nice. 

Very astute. I wouldn't think there's a set high camera angle or x field of view requirement. There prolly needs to be some green framing. Emphasis on some. But if they'd zoom and tighten up a tad to fit their actual max field coverage... they'd look bigger, their drill velocity would look quicker then it actually is...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigW said:

Very astute. I wouldn't think there's a set high camera angle or x field of view requirement. There prolly needs to be some green framing. Emphasis on some. But if they'd zoom and tighten up a tad to fit their actual max field coverage... they'd look bigger, their drill velocity would look quicker then it actually is...

And after I posted this there was a corps who only showed the part of the field where the show was performed. This corps had more members but members looked larger on the screen so more impact imo

Edited by JimF-LowBari

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And after I posted this there was a corps who only showed the part of the field where the show was performed. This corps had more members but members looked larger on the screen so more impact imo

Yes! It gets you more down on the field with them. Makes the experience more personal. Absolutely! That's been one of the things most groups are now trying to do and why most have rid themselves of the hats. They want you to see the performer and feel more attached. Also saves a lot of money and logistics too.

• Like 1

NOW I remember. HS band I staffed versus would take massive frame like props to close the field down to 35-35 and to the backhash to make their pedestrian 8 to 5 look like 5-5 all the time. Also gave the impression that they covered the field. Ream knows the team and fought some epic battles as well with them.  Normal Field = 48,000 square feet. with HS hashes and 35-35 you create a 21k square foot performance field. There was a lot of kvetching and frustration about assessments of what the actual challenges were visually. I'm certain Rich pointed that out at some point. and I can imagine how it was pointed out. 😸

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BigW said:

NOW I remember. HS band I staffed versus would take massive frame like props to close the field down to 35-35 and to the backhash to make their pedestrian 8 to 5 look like 5-5 all the time. Also gave the impression that they covered the field. Ream knows the team and fought some epic battles as well with them.  Normal Field = 48,000 square feet. with HS hashes and 35-35 you create a 21k square foot performance field. There was a lot of kvetching and frustration about assessments of what the actual challenges were visually. I'm certain Rich pointed that out at some point. and I can imagine how it was pointed out. 😸

Laughing thinking of Rich “pointing it out”. 

19 hours ago, BigW said:

well when being judged live, the judges see everything, so why should video be different?

6 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Laughing thinking of Rich “pointing it out”. 

depends on his mood and the spread

14 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well when being judged live, the judges see everything, so why should video be different?

Good design takes away what the visual designer does not want you to see, like that huge billboard on the back of the building behind the stadium. It draws your attention to where your attention's to be drawn. A given.

Now...if one has the advantage of what's framed in the video to take away any possible distractions from the viewer and hem you in like those huge framing props to make you see what's to be seen, why not? If the design is solid, it will appear even more solid. I know this makes you frown. We all can smell the cheese. But, if you can take advantage of what you can and cannot do to help your team within the rules framework (and moral ethics, one shouldn't be breaking federal or state laws or hurting people....), one should do it. 

Example comes to mind-- When the whole electronics shebang went though DCI, IIRC, the Blue Coats weren't very keen on it, but they also said, if it goes this way, we're all in in terms of equipment and design and we won't be left behind. Obviously, they haven't been in that aspect.

14 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

depends on his mood and the spread

And whether anyone recognized how freakin' hard it was for the percussion section of your team to play together atomized all over the field at times instead of being concentrated as usual... 😉