Is it still a drum and bugle corps?

On 10/21/2021 at 12:16 AM, jfcadets said:

There is no professional marching band. For inclusivity's sake, I'm ok with woodwinds joining the activity, because many precious kids out there have had to learn a new instrument. I recall marching with a '10 drum and bugle corps bassoonist who learned mello to join. Poor gal had to go through crap. 

Of course they could just join the color guard like all the other woodwind nerds

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

And I had to learn to play a valve-rotor Olds Ultratone Soprano. I had been playing a Bach Stradivarius trumpet. Life is so unfair.  

See...horn players got the worst of it. I fully admit that as a percussionist. You had to learn to play what are, in essence, completely different instruments. We drummers (percussionists,) changed instruments as well. But our changes allowed us to do things that we were already obsessed with like cranking the heads tighter and tighter until they sounded like a kitchen countertop. We also got to experience the WAYYYYYYY too satisfying sound of a collapsing drum shell (trust me...collapsing a Ludwig drum shell is...magical...I can't even explain it.) When the first Remo Falam-K came out (the yellow ones,) I double rimmed one on a Slingerland TDR. When the shell literally exploded, I "borrowed" a steel shelled 12-lug Ludwig from my high school and double rimmed it. It's only when I warped the shell on that (to the amusement of our entire snare line) that we realized "the power of this fully armed and operational" magical drum head.

God I love my drum corps memories LOL.

• Like 2

I always seem like I need to weigh in on this matter since I am a clarinetist.... 

I wish I had the opportunity to march with The Cavaliers. I never should have allowed certain negative thoughts and influences stop me from an activity I'm extremely passionate about. I could have gained even more knowledge, friends, and experiences while learning a new instrument. But I can't change the past and I'm focused on what I can do now. 

I still believe in the more traditional brass and percussion only concept. Just... uuuugh, freaking brass blowing my head off is freaking awesome and I love every bit of that! And how about amazing percussion moments? I was just rewatching The Cavaliers 2014 show and that percussion book is solid. It's just awesome! 

• Like 4

On 10/27/2021 at 4:46 PM, Hook'emCavies said:

Just... uuuugh, freaking brass blowing my head off is freaking awesome 

That's what Drum Corps is ALL about - or at least it should be.

I regret I only have one "heart" to give to your post

• Thanks 1