Using Music without permission (Say it isn't so)

Yes, skaters listen to their music.  There is an interpretation score they receive in program components.  As a skating coach and Crossmen Alum,  I understand what you are saying,  but I can see the same mismatch thing on the field. In skating,  we have to fit things in.  Timing of a jump or a sequence of turns required for higher scoring may not naturally fit the music.  Every person and element has a unique timing.  You can't stay up in the air longer or hold an entrance longer just to accomplish landing on the beat. 

2 minutes ago, bldbrkr said:

Yes, skaters listen to their music.  There is an interpretation score they receive in program components.  As a skating coach and Crossmen Alum,  I understand what you are saying,  but I can see the same mismatch thing on the field. In skating,  we have to fit things in.  Timing of a jump or a sequence of turns required for higher scoring may not naturally fit the music.  Every person and element has a unique timing.  You can't stay up in the air longer or hold an entrance longer just to accomplish landing on the beat. 

I was noticing some of this in particular with the pairs.  The physics of getting in what you need to do to score doesn't line up with the music.  There were moments when someone's program did hit the timing and the effect was fantastic.  

I also had the thought, "here's a market for original compositions...one could choreograph the entire routine then instead of hiring an arranger to cut music to the required length, hire a composer to create music that fits the beats of the program."    Of course then you have to either hire performers and recording staff, or deal with electronically produced music.   And you won't have like 'Oh that's Bolero!' responses.  Frankly though, I'd rather watch something that hits all the synchronized notes than another Bolero.  Bolero : Skating :: Planets : Marching Arts.  😄

I was also noticing though how Ice Dancing does sync with the music a lot more, but then that makes sense as they're working to produce a sense of 'ballroom dancing on skates' rather than throws and jumps.  

• Like 1