Masks!

Here's the thing on my mind. We've seen seasonal spikes in the northeast and northwest in the winter when people are driving indoors from the cold.  We've seeen seasonal spikes across the south when people are driven indoors from the heat. We've got corps riding in buses for long periods all summer.  It's gonna spread.

Corps would be smart to see if they can score some paxlovid to minimize what even the mildest cases bring. They'll want a quarantine vehicle if they can, and maybe a whole bus.  There'll be some for whom it's a week to two weeks of symptoms though, if not more--thats the long covid percentage.  It could pretty much wipe out those kids summer.

I suspect we're gonna see a fair few holes in everyone through the season.  And perhaps a corps or two missing a show with too many out ala the Cavies a few years back.  Corps hopefully have isolation and recovery plans for the tour.  I mean it's not like corps haven't been hit by the 'creeping crud' before, but this one will perhaps be a bit harder to contain over the tour.

The longer term concern for all these kids are the percentage of long covid effects amongst them. i.e. diminished lung capacity, brain fog, neuropathy, etc.  I mean this is a mass disabiing event...or at least a temporary mass disabling event for a fair portion of even young and healthy people.

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

For various reasons I mask when I can’t social distance from others. With my luck I could go to a place that is COVID free and then sit next to out of towners carrying it.

at least we don't ask you to wear a full face covering mask anymore :)

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, TenHut said:

Does anyone still believe that masks and the vaccine work? Most people wear the mask incorrectly.

yup

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Here's the thing on my mind. We've seen seasonal spikes in the northeast and northwest in the winter when people are driving indoors from the cold.  We've seeen seasonal spikes across the south when people are driven indoors from the heat. We've got corps riding in buses for long periods all summer.  It's gonna spread.

Corps would be smart to see if they can score some paxlovid to minimize what even the mildest cases bring. They'll want a quarantine vehicle if they can, and maybe a whole bus.  There'll be some for whom it's a week to two weeks of symptoms though, if not more--thats the long covid percentage.  It could pretty much wipe out those kids summer.

I suspect we're gonna see a fair few holes in everyone through the season.  And perhaps a corps or two missing a show with too many out ala the Cavies a few years back.  Corps hopefully have isolation and recovery plans for the tour.  I mean it's not like corps haven't been hit by the 'creeping crud' before, but this one will perhaps be a bit harder to contain over the tour.

The longer term concern for all these kids are the percentage of long covid effects amongst them. i.e. diminished lung capacity, brain fog, neuropathy, etc.  I mean this is a mass disabiing event...or at least a temporary mass disabling event for a fair portion of even young and healthy people.

do we know if any corps required vaccines to march/teach/volunteer?

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Valid question.  I would hope so..but...yeah.  With the number of colleges that required vaccination though I would suspect there's significant overlap there.  Doing the tour without vaccination would be...a real lapse of critical thinking.

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Valid question.  I would hope so..but...yeah.  With the number of colleges that required vaccination though I would suspect there's significant overlap there.  Doing the tour without vaccination would be...a real lapse of critical thinking.

well, this is drum corps.....

• Haha 1

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

well, this is drum corps.....

Yah. 

I just wonder how many stories we'll get of staff berating kids who are sick to 'tough it out and play, we don't need another hole for this show.'  While they're still wheezing or weakened. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Yah. 

I just wonder how many stories we'll get of staff berating kids who are sick to 'tough it out and play, we don't need another hole for this show.'  While they're still wheezing or weakened. 

well....this is drum corps

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Yes, though like everything else, people could get an exemption for certain reasons.  The corps I’m familiar with, it’s my understanding that all are vaccinated except about 6 members.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

We've got corps riding in buses for long periods all summer.  It's gonna spread.

Certainly, the bus is probably the primary concern for spread.  However, someone in the corps has to be infected first.  The key, as I see it, is to get to the end of spring training with whatever infections they had, gone.  Corps need to minimize close contact with the outside world.

• Like 1