Masks!

9 hours ago, skevinp said:

For masks it may not be as easy to prove, but it is hard for me to imagine they wouldn’t help.

This is how I look at it.  An infected person has a “circle of influence”, if you will.  The closer you are to the infected person, the more likely and less time required for you to become infected.  As the time exposed is decreased or distance from that person is increased, the chances of becoming infected drop.  How far their circle of influence extends depends on the amount of viral load they are emitting and the environmental conditions (outside vs inside, air flow, etc).  Masks effectively shrink that circle of influence in many situations but they aren’t foolproof.  If you’re the bus seat partner of an infected person, the mask probably isn’t helping you much at all.  But, if you’re across the aisle and a row or two away, the mask might be enough to keep your viral load exposure low enough that you don’t become infected when you otherwise would have.  Outdoors- no need for a mask unless you’re right in someone’s face for a duration (eg. a spectator).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keith Hall said:

Think about this....those that wear glasses/sunglasses will understand....you know how your glasses fog up when you wear a mask? so the virus can get in and out. Also, the virus can get through and out the tiny openings in any mask. Besides that, is this an effort to take our mind off the rising cost of gas, food and everything else?

If it cuts down the chances of catching COVID, what’s the beef?

Nothing in this world is 100% but that doesn’t mean don’t try.

edit: had family members with bad health issues including suppressed immune system. This “we shouldn’t take precautions because they are not 100%” is insanity. We go to doctors to try to prolong life and health. That ain’t 100% either so should we quit going to doctors?

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Do you think masking would mitigate a virus going through a corps? If only Cavaliers had worn masks when norovirus spread like wildfire several  years back.  Problem solved.  

With plastic bag masks? Absolutely 😂

Regular masks?  Depends on the virus and how it spreads.  In any case, unlikely to eliminate all spread but could reduce it some.  
I worked with an individual with severe halitosis.  Masks were sometimes a blessing.  The fact that the mask significantly reduced the unpleasantness is an indicator that they can be somewhat effective.

However, I’m not advocating for the general wearing of masks on tour.  As I’ve mentioned in several posts, I answered the question of “are masks effective” with the answer of “yes, in certain situations.”  
I think the best opportunity for the corps is to set off on tour infection free and minimize exposure of the corps from close contact from outside the corps.

1 hour ago, Keith Hall said:

Think about this....those that wear glasses/sunglasses will understand....you know how your glasses fog up when you wear a mask? so the virus can get in and out. Also, the virus can get through and out the tiny openings in any mask. 

My wife is a visiting nurse.

She has to wear an N-95 when she visits a patient.

Whenever she has to replace her N-95 it has to be "fitted" and then 

"tested" to make sure of the seal around her face.

Breathing through a properly fitted N-95 can be, to say the least, a bit difficult.

She has Asthma, so wearing the N-95 is even worse for her.

She says that unless the N-95  is "fitted" properly ,its not much, if anymore effective, then a 

standard surgical mask.

She also says almost everyone she sees with an N-95 "in public" isn't wearing it properly.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2022 at 8:50 AM, rpbobcat said:

My wife is a visiting nurse.

She has to wear an N-95 when she visits a patient.

Whenever she has to replace her N-95 it has to be "fitted" and then 

"tested" to make sure of the seal around her face.

Breathing through a properly fitted N-95 can be, to say the least, a bit difficult.

She has Asthma, so wearing the N-95 is even worse for her.

She says that unless the N-95  is "fitted" properly ,its not much, if anymore effective, then a 

standard surgical mask.

She also says almost everyone she sees with an N-95 "in public" isn't wearing it properly.

It‘s quite easy to breathe through an N95 once your lungs get used to them. I’ve been wearing an N95 daily for 8 hours a day (apart from weekends of course) for the past two years. It feels like a normal mask now at this point. But of course that’s because what I do requires the use of one. In future seasons it may be prudent for corps to fit members for N95 masks during spring training and then have those members wear the mask should they become exposed or start exhibiting symptoms (in addition to being isolated on a different bus like PR has been doing)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JohnZ said:

because of recent events, the thread has been edited and reopened.  Let's see what happens.

First time to the Muncie show at Ball State.  The stadium is really cramped &  I wore my mask outdoors.  It's not a political statement; I wear my mask for my family members & I just don't want the stupid virus.

Back to Ball State; I was truly amazed at the folks that could not find their seats.  When I arrived, there were folks in our seats.  I asked them to please "sit on your number".  After the first corps, about 5 folks moved to another row.  Same thing happened three rows behind us.  The staff had to come check everyone's ticket & they made three move out of that row.  I just don't understand why it's so hard.  Find your row number, then sit on your seat number.  (Bench seating)