A Commentary on Narration

36 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

well you weren't mentioned or quoted, so... it really wasn't.

the only thing more annoying than super-annoying narration (Yowza, yowza, yowza! anyone?) is people incessantly complaining about narration

Talk about super-annoying. How about right here, right now! 

9 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I can read between the lines, I'm sure you can too 🙂 

Does this happen to be a complaint of yours due to the fact that the Cadets are using a heavy form of narration this year, and so those complaints seem to be cutting deeper for you? 

No it's the ridiculously repetitive moaning and complaining and those who, like you, use to to not-so-subtly insult those corps as-if they're not doing PLENTY - most of it lately seems directed at Bluecoats implying they don't have enough brass content which is, frankly laughable.

I've seen very little negativity directed at the Cadets - except from the usual gang of haters. I not "a fan" of narration in general, however I just focus on some other aspect. Cadets are having a nice season - which is great for them & us.

• Like 2

I mentioned my opinion in the "controversial opinions" thread before it got shut down, but one is applicable here.

For me - aside from the Colts "radio play" show I don't think there has ever been a show where the narration (or singing) made the show better. At its best it has not made the show worse (not many of these, but a few), and the majority of the time I think it makes the show less enjoyable. It generally "takes me out" of the show, at least while the narration or singing is happening.

I love shows from every era, but for me, I'm looking for certain things in this activity and those things are dwindling year-after-year. I love singing, I love poetry, I love a good documentary with great narration.. and if I want to hear those things I go to the venues where they shine.. but I don't think a drum corps show is it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Talk about super-annoying. How about right here, right now! 

yes - very cheesy and annoying, on purpose in fact, hence the use of the British nanny/teacher voice. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, frachel said:

I mentioned my opinion in the "controversial opinions" thread before it got shut down, but one is applicable here.

For me - aside from the Colts "radio play" show I don't think there has ever been a show where the narration (or singing) made the show better. At its best it has not made the show worse (not many of these, but a few), and the majority of the time I think it makes the show less enjoyable. It generally "takes me out" of the show, at least while the narration or singing is happening.

I love shows from every era, but for me, I'm looking for certain things in this activity and those things are dwindling year-after-year. I love singing, I love poetry, I love a good documentary with great narration.. and if I want to hear those things I go to the venues where they shine.. but I don't think a drum corps show is it.

fair enough, I feel similar - and thank you for expressing your opinion without using the opportunity to insult a bunch of drum corps!

Edited by George Dixon

11 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

do your homework >

Not sure that transcriptions helps your point - at least for the trumpets, there's not a lot of playing compared to the length of the show. I check out all the transcriptions I can find every year (mainly to see if I can still play some of the stuff they play now, and thankfully I usually can still 🙂) and there's a LOT of tacet/resting and quite a few long (5+ bar) holds.

I'm not one of those people that want things to go back to a particular era, but I wouldn't be against it when it came to the brass playing time. In some those late 80's - 2000's shows the horn barely goes down.. probably 50% more playing, minimum.

• Like 3