Broken Arrow...this is where it starts...

3 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I was in a huge college band (Purdue, 400+ members) - so many members limits what you can do drill-wise.  

Absolutely! Kinda makes me wonder why they don’t limit their numbers for competitive band. Other schools in the DFW area do this and it has served them well.

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

4 pushers, 2 hitters.  40 flags, 24 dancers, 8 twirlers, 2 DM and 340 musicians 

Yeah I know.  IU was the target school for most of us in the ISSMA circuit who wanted to do music majors.  Given the rivalry, the running joke was "IU's band has music majors, Purdue's band has a big drum."  

We did do Jazz on the Hill for jazz band season every year though at Purdue and had a great time.  We got them dancing in the pond during our set sometimes.

4 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

The leftover kids are often prop pushers😂

Yep. That’s exactly what  Marcus, Flower Mound and Hebron do. And Coppell has two separate competitive marching bands. The later would be more logistically challenging but marching a 500+ member competitive band isn’t the best experience for the students, IMO. 

Actually, Marcus pulled off a pretty impressive head to toe uniform change in under 60 seconds in their show last year. That’s wouldn’t have been possible without the help of the “prop pushers”.

Edited by crownisking
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Yeah I know.  IU was the target school for most of us in the ISSMA circuit who wanted to do music majors.  Given the rivalry, the running joke was "IU's band has music majors, Purdue's band has a big drum."  

We did do Jazz on the Hill for jazz band season every year though at Purdue and had a great time.  We got them dancing in the pond during our set sometimes.

End of every spring semester we did concert there 1812 Overture, Wm Tell were always on schedule.  Year I was in we added Holst Mars & Jupiter, plus Sousa x 2   Most fun I ever had in concert band    

6 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Ps - no music school at Purdue so we all just did it for fun.  

2 minutes ago, crownisking said:

Yep. That’s exactly what  Marcus, Flower Mound and Hebron do. And Coppell has two separate competitive marching bands. The later would be more logistically challenging but marching a 500+ member competitive band isn’t the best experience for the students, IMO. 

Actually, Marcus pulled off a pretty impressive head to toe uniform change in under 60 seconds in their show last year. That’s wouldn’t have been possible without the help of the “prop pushers”.

Oh yes I’m aware, I just had a giggle to myself on that one. But we know how quite big Hebron and Flower Mound are, I was a bit shocked by Marcus’ size taking such a dip, but they still showed out at grand nats and had a great season, all you can ask for. Same with FloMo and Hebron, and Hebron is my favorite group out of the three and the activity as a whole, so I always enjoy seeing them👀

• Like 1

Just now, IllianaLancerContra said:

Ps - no music school at Purdue so we all just did it for fun.  

Right, we knew that.  It was just part of the general IU v. Purdue ribbing that went on.  The Hill was a great place to play.  Jazz on the Hill was always the last thing of the Spring for us after our competitive Jazz season was done and just a time to let loose and have fun with it.  

2 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

Oh yes I’m aware, I just had a giggle to myself on that one. But we know how quite big Hebron and Flower Mound are, I was a bit shocked by Marcus’ size taking such a dip, but they still showed out at grand nats and had a great season, all you can ask for. Same with FloMo and Hebron, and Hebron is my favorite group out of the three and the activity as a whole, so I always enjoy seeing them👀

I think Marcus just had more prop pushers this year. I remember seeing Marcus and FloMo sit next to each other in the stands at one of the shows I went to last year. When everyone is in their show shirts and khakis, the two bands look about the same size. 

• Like 1

Just now, crownisking said:

I think Marcus just had more prop pushers this year. I remember seeing Marcus and FloMo sit next to each other in the stands at one of the shows I went to last year. When everyone is in their show shirts and khakis, the two bands look about the same size. 

Quite a few!! Especially considering how big flower mound was last year, but hopefully those kids are now about to be full performing members, probably many sophomores now, so that’s good to hear!