Corps Rehearsal closings!

19 hours ago, Bob984 said:

"Bubbling" at this point makes total sense, even if it may seem overprotective to you.  There have been outbreaks, corps with several blanks and trying to isolate infected members from the corps, etc....major problems....and cases have risen steadily......staff will be in the stands where those fans are "only" seated, and all it takes is for one infected (but unaware) fan to infect one staff person who is moving around.....better to be "too safe" at this point.....NOBODY WANTS this, but protecting the members so they have the best chance of finishing the season without an outbreak, is certainly not "elitist or short-sighted".....especially at this time.....

Well, the Blue Devils disagree. They are still allowing people in the stands at rehearsal.  I guess this means the Blue Devils don’t care about safety at all.  I guess they want kids and staff to get infected so they can’t finish the season.

1 minute ago, Tommeee said:

Well, the Blue Devils disagree. They are still allowing people in the stands at rehearsal.  I guess this means the Blue Devils don’t care about safety at all.  I guess they want kids and staff to get infected so they can’t finish the season.

Wow!  That’s quite a leap there!  Don’t hurt yourself!  

Allowing folks in the open air stands, away from the field and ensemble/section practice areas, with NO interaction with members, staff, or support staff, with masks recommended HARDLY, equates with “don’t care about safety at all”.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DWW11 said:

Wow!  That’s quite a leap there!  Don’t hurt yourself!  

Allowing folks in the open air stands, away from the field and ensemble/section practice areas, with NO interaction with members, staff, or support staff, with masks recommended HARDLY, equates with “don’t care about safety at all”.  

Thank you for repeating the point I already made.  My whole point has always been, why would it be a problem to allow fans in the stands, not interacting with anyone?

People jumped on me for saying that.  People start talking about safety, blah blah blah.  People need to use some basic common sense. 

I’m pretty sure, if the most competitively successful corps has found a simple way to allow fans to watch, then it’s going to be fine.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

Thank you for repeating the point I already made.  My whole point has always been, why would it be a problem to allow fans in the stands, not interacting with anyone?

People jumped on me for saying that.  People start talking about safety, blah blah blah.  People need to use some basic common sense. 

I’m pretty sure, if the most competitively successful corps has found a simple way to allow fans to watch, then it’s going to be fine.

You likely got jumped on because you seem to be viewing this issue from YOUR perspective, as a spectator, and seemingly not from the perspective of the organization and the MM.  History shows us that people break rules, all of the time.  Sometimes for nefarious reasons, sometimes for innocent reasons, and sometimes just because of willful, selfishness, ignorance, or stupidity.  That BD chooses to assume a level of risk, doesn’t make the others wrong because they won’t.  

Sadly, being dismissive of the risks increases the likelihood of confrontations, which is what i am SURE the corps are trying to avoid.  Best to exclude everyone and not have to worry about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DWW11 said:

You likely got jumped on because you seem to be viewing this issue from YOUR perspective, as a spectator, and seemingly not from the perspective of the organization and the MM.  History shows us that people break rules, all of the time.  Sometimes for nefarious reasons, sometimes for innocent reasons, and sometimes just because of willful, selfishness, ignorance, or stupidity.  That BD chooses to assume a level of risk, doesn’t make the others wrong because they won’t.  

Sadly, being dismissive of the risks increases the likelihood of confrontations, which is what i am SURE the corps are trying to avoid.  Best to exclude everyone and not have to worry about it.

I’m pretty sure the Blue Devils organization is NOT being dismissive of any risks.  And I’m also pretty sure they aren’t “worried”.

Also, I never said any corps was wrong for closing rehearsals.  I merely said it’s something they have to decide for themselves, and it’s a concerning trend (for reasons unrelated to COVID).

20 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

I’m pretty sure the Blue Devils organization is NOT being dismissive of any risks.  And I’m also pretty sure they aren’t “worried”.

Also, I never said any corps was wrong for closing rehearsals.  I merely said it’s something they have to decide for themselves, and it’s a concerning trend (for reasons unrelated to COVID).

I didn’t mean BD was being dismissive of risks… i meant YOU are!  And i think they ARE worried.  I think EVERY corps right now is worried, and saying a prayer to the DCI gods each day to let them get through next weekend without an outbreak.  I would be disappointed if they weren’t.

If you think that most corps are going to go to with closed rehearsals once covid is done, i think you are wrong.  Many of us support them year round, and, if we are lucky, we get to see them for an hour or two once a year.  

• Thanks 1

Yeah .... Well ... So much for safety.

I was at a show this week with many of the "closed rehearsal" corps. Or should I say, the corps who use safety as an excuse to try to control things they can't and shouldn't be controlling?

Before I was even out of the parking lot, I and others were in pack of current corps kids making their way to the equipment trucks. There we all were, unmasked -  maybe unvaccinated - shoulder to shoulder and waiting together to cross the traffic. Our unprotected pack more or less stayed intact for a hundred or more yards up the walk. Later, corps staff joined us in the stands (some masked, some not) to watch the performances. Corps kids came to the stands to watch too (one sat immediately beside me). There were plenty more random interactions that were far closer than would be the case watching rehearsal. 

I am not complaining. Not in the least. Nor am I worried. All I and doing is saying that this idea that rehearsals are closed for "safety" is both unscientific and stupid. 

Edited by Sh0uldN0t
  • Thanks 2

my daughter really wanted to see some front ensembles warm up. but out of respect for the corps, she decided, she could wait til next year.

a 10 year old decided that. no coaching from adults.

• Thanks 7

25 minutes ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

Yeah .... Well ... So much for safety.

I was at a show this week with many of the "closed rehearsal" corps. Or should I say, the corps who use safety as an excuse to try to control things they can't and shouldn't be controlling?

Before I was even out of the parking lot, I and others were in pack of current corps kids making their way to the equipment trucks. There we all were, unmasked -  maybe unvaccinated - shoulder to shoulder and waiting together to cross the traffic. Our unprotected pack more or less stayed intact for a hundred or more yards up the walk. Later, corps staff joined us in the stands (some masked, some not) to watch the performances. Corps kids came to the stands to watch too (one sat immediately beside me). There were plenty more random interactions that were far closer than would be the case watching rehearsal. 

I am not complaining. Not in the least. Nor am I worried. All I and doing is saying that this idea that rehearsals are closed for "safety" is both unscientific and stupid. 

Just because not every loose end is tied up doesn't mean it's dumb to tie the others up.

Edited by chris ncsu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2